The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Lightweight Flywheel clutch wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdkatz

Probationary Member
Jan 30, 2004
Newark, Delaware
Hi, I asked this question in the engine performance section and no one could answer it. If I put a lightweight flywheel on my 92 Talon TSi AWD Turbo, would my clutch wear out in more, less, or the same time as the stocker?

This is basically impossible to test in a real world car.

Put it this way... If the flywheel and clutch are mated (engaged) then VERY little wear will take place. The flywheel generally doesn't have to much of an effect on clutch (disc) wear, so it will not change anything. This question was probably not answered cause it doesn't make to much sense if you know what I mean...

If I didn't answer it to your liking holla back.

I would think the clutch might wear a little faster since with a light wheel you'd have to rev it more to get rolling. I also have to agree with candela though, you can't realistically test it.

John

If it is an aluminum flywheel I can see where heat disipation increases could allow the clutch to run cooler...

Also the decrease stored energy of a lighter flywheel when the clutch is slipped could lower wear too.

Kind of the same reason as the heavier flywheel is less likely to bog on launch..

Other than that it should be the same.

On street cars and basic drag cars just get an ACT streetlight. Go really light only if you auto-x or or drag with a lot of power. I know am a less worried of breaking my trans at launch with this SSG..

>I asked this question in the engine performance section and no one could answer it.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN POST IT IN THE EXTREME TECH!!!

Thread moved to drivetrain…

>If I put a lightweight flywheel on my 92 Talon TSi AWD Turbo, would my clutch wear
>out in more, less, or the same time as the stocker?

Lighter FW, will require you to rev higher and slip your clutch more to achieve the same acceleration as what you get with a heavy FW. So your clutch will wear our quicker. How much quicker? Is it even noticeable? I can’t say, but it would definitely depend on your driving style and how fast you like to take off.

Leon
RR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back