The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Flywheel installation - Loctite or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pralla

Probationary Member
Mar 29, 2021
Stavanger, Europe
Is it bad if you don't use loctite or torque when you install a "new" flywheel? It's an aluminium flywheel and I did roughly 130 nm on a flexible handle and I did it in star formation and yeah if it's a "must" I'll redo it when I put a lsd in the gearbox

If a flywheel comes loose, it will act like a buzz saw and come thru whatever is in its way, including the floor pan and your legs. The flywheel needs to be torqued.
I will assume that you like your legs so see this thread. :thumb:
Marty

If a flywheel comes loose, it will act like a buzz saw and come thru whatever is in its way, including the floor pan and your legs. The flywheel needs to be torqued.
Marty
Legs are underrated ROFL

Marty
But do I need loctite? Seemed like there already was in the old one

I don't use locktite on flywheel bolts, I make sure they are at least the maximum listed torque. Some people and avid racers DO use locktite on the bolts and even the flywheel itself to "glue" it to the crank. I watched Adrianna Noonan and her dad on a video do that exact thing, so I know the "fast" ones do use it and A LOT of it, but I don't. Just make sure the things are TIGHT.

Of all the things you could half ass and get away with it probably being fine flywheel is not one of them. It's probably the most dangerous thing on the whole car to be honest. If that thing lets go you are suddenly going to think to yourself hmm I can't feel my dick anymore that's weird and your gunna look down to investigate and realize your upper is no longer attached to you lower. Then your last few moments on earth before you move to the big 1/4mi in the sky will be spent wishing you put the dang flywheel on right. Then you're going to get to the big 1/4mi in the sky and everyone is going to take 1 look at you and say "yup, flywheel...definitely a flywheel"

The flywheel still remains attached to the clutch plate and transmission input shaft so maybe it wont be flying off to Mars but proper fastening procedures need to be followed especially on rotating components especially as heavy and big as a flywheel. The FSM calls for thread locker on all 6 (or 7) bolts of the flywheel, of greatest strength, so something like Red Loctite.

Just to add, thread lockers aren't meant to act as a torque wrench or a surefire way to keep two things together. It's more meant to fill up the empty space around the threads and greatly reduce the chance of a bolt coming loose from vibration, heat, shock etc...

The flywheel still remains attached to the clutch plate and transmission input shaft so maybe it wont be flying off to Mars but proper fastening procedures need to be followed especially on rotating components especially as heavy and big as a flywheel. The FSM calls for thread locker on all 6 (or 7) bolts of the flywheel, of greatest strength, so something like Red Loctite.

Just to add, thread lockers aren't meant to act as a torque wrench or a surefire way to keep two things together. It's more meant to fill up the empty space around the threads and greatly reduce the chance of a bolt coming loose from vibration, heat, shock etc...
That's what I thought, will try to fix it soon as possible (the car wont be running for a while anyway)

I've seen a flywheel come loose and wedge itself halfway through the dash but this was on a high hp car and the reason why they have scatter shields. Red loctite & torque is a must imo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back