The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Flywheel and disk options for a QM/PTT twin disk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenja

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 16, 2003
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan_Canada
I have a Quartermaster Optimum-V 7.25" triple disk clutch made to be used with the 0.105" disks (and an entirely different car). I intend to use two sintered bronze rally disks with it instead which will make it similar to the usual QM/PTT twin disk kits for our car. Those are 0.250" thick which means that two of those and a floater plate will be only 0.005" thinner in total than the original 3x0.105 + 2 floaters setup. This seems like it should work, and I need to confirm with QM, but if anyone thinks this won't work I'd like to know. Also, if anyone knows of someone carrying this 2 disk pack (for our car, 7/8 x 20 spline, correct me if I'm wrong) for less than $200, please let me know.

The main thing I was wondering is what to do for a flywheel. The engine car is a 7 bolt. Budget is one of the main concerns (I find it tough to spend $400 at this point for a simple piece with minimal gains). I was toying with the idea of using a QM button flywheel and an auto DSM flex plate, but after machining, that won't be much cheaper than a PTT flywheel, and it wouldn't really be any better. It would also be more hassle, more chance for stuff to go wrong, and it probably wouldn't clear the clutch fork even with some grinding.

What I'm looking at right now is the 7 bolt PTT flywheel for $340. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm checking to make sure that better solutions haven't surfaced lately (is the QM flywheel any better?) or that there aren't cheaper options. AFAIK, Maperformance doesn't have a 7 bolt flywheel, and I'm not sure if they or Devo tuning would sell the flywheel separately or how much it would cost. I'm looking into that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I just measured my Quarter Master Optimum-V 7.25" triple disk vs. the Quarter Master Rally 7.25" twin-disk clutch disk and floater assembly.

The only way you will be able to use the Optimum-V triple clutch cover will be using the Optimum-V fulcrum floater and one of the standard Optimum-V floaters, along with the two Rally 7.25" 0.250" clutch disks. I will check the V-Drive clutch cover to confirm the pressure plate spring if there is a difference.

I measured both clutch pack assemblies and even installed the rally disks and rally floaters in the Optimum-V clutch cover; it fits, but the V-drive design for the floaters have a different shape for use on the Optimum-V clutch. I believe that it was for weight reduction, but either way, it is a bit tight using the V-drive floaters in the Optimum-V clutch cover due to the curved face along one side of the clutch cover posts.

Here are the measurements I just took:

Optimum V triple disk 7.25" fulcrum floater and flat floater using the two Rally 0.250"-thick clutch disks measures out to 1.2865" when NEW.

V-Drive Rally twin-disk 7.25" fulcrum floater and flat floater using the two Rally 0.250"-thick clutch disks measures out to 1.2865" when NEW.

I will need to check the step height on the 7.25 Rally V-Drive twin-disk clutch cover to measure it against the step height of the Optimum-V 7.25" triple-disk clutch cover to see if it clears. I think it will.

So far, it sounds like it COULD be done, but let me measure the other clutch setup and see what I come up with. I should have some time tomorrow or on Friday to take lots of photos of each clutch assembly along with the "mix and match" setup utilizing the Optimum-V clutch cover and the Rally disks with each set of floaters.

I would still recommend contacting Quarter Master (:: Quarter Master :: Home) and talk to a technical service representative concerning the utilization of an Optimum-V clutch cover with the Rally disks. I am mainly concerned about the structural integrity of the Optimum-V cover when it sees heat from an AWD launch.

The key issue I have with running the Optimum-V clutch cover is the fact that you are utilizing a cover that is designed to be lighter more than it is designed to handle heat and abuse. Whereas, the V-Drive clutch cover is designed for maximum heat dissipation and strength. The Optimum-V floaters are slotted for weight reduction and can easily taco themselves, and the Optimum-V fulcrum floater is much thinner than the V-Drive fulcrum floater, along with having a slotted friction face. The V-Drive floaters are solid design, and are a bit heavier duty.

As well, I use the PTT chromoly flywheel for my 7-bolt setup. I would recommend this one. Just be sure to use the proper flywheel bolts when installing, as I have seen several different flange thicknesses come out from PTT on the 7-bolt flywheel and there have been several people (including myself) that have had to use a shorter flywheel bolt.

Here is the thread concerning the flywheel bolt lengths for our application:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/266455-ptt-twin-disk-flywheel-bolts.html

If you want to go with a custom button flywheel/flexplate setup, I would suggest saving that thought for the day when you use a 4.5" triple-disk Carbon-V clutch setup! Your best price/bet will be to contact PTT for the flywheel, or Adam at DevoTuning (I don't know if he is still in business though, I have heard rumors that he closed -- contact him -- DEVOTUNING, Home of the world's fastest EVO and find out).

Good luck!

I have a Quartermaster Optimum-V 7.25" triple disk clutch made to be used with the 0.105" disks (and an entirely different car). I intend to use two sintered bronze rally disks with it instead which will make it similar to the usual QM/PTT twin disk kits for our car. Those are 0.250" thick which means that two of those and a floater plate will be only 0.005" thinner in total than the original 3x0.105 + 2 floaters setup. This seems like it should work, and I need to confirm with QM, but if anyone thinks this won't work I'd like to know. Also, if anyone knows of someone carrying this 2 disk pack (for our car, 7/8 x 20 spline, correct me if I'm wrong) for less than $200, please let me know.

The main thing I was wondering is what to do for a flywheel. The engine car is a 7 bolt. Budget is one of the main concerns (I find it tough to spend $400 at this point for a simple piece with minimal gains). I was toying with the idea of using a QM button flywheel and an auto DSM flex plate, but after machining, that won't be much cheaper than a PTT flywheel, and it wouldn't really be any better. It would also be more hassle, more chance for stuff to go wrong, and it probably wouldn't clear the clutch fork even with some grinding.

What I'm looking at right now is the 7 bolt PTT flywheel for $340. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm checking to make sure that better solutions haven't surfaced lately (is the QM flywheel any better?) or that there aren't cheaper options. AFAIK, Maperformance doesn't have a 7 bolt flywheel, and I'm not sure if they or Devo tuning would sell the flywheel separately or how much it would cost. I'm looking into that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, thanks for all that, twicks. I've read a lot of your other posts on the QM clutch stuff so I've already seen the details like using shorter flywheel bolts, isuzu slave cylinder, etc. I'm glad you offered input here too.

The Optimum-V triple I bought has all the regular Optimum-V parts associated with it, so I'll have the fulcrum and middle floater. I'm not greatly concerned about the Optimum-V being weaker or having poorer heat handling because I don't plan to go over 500whp (at least for quite a while), and while the car will see some launches, it'll be mainly a daily driver. I would be leaving the Optimum-V floater that fits the housing on there unless there's a good reason to not do that.

The beauty of this type of setup and the reason I chose to try it is because it can be so cheap. I bought the entire triple disk clutch for $110 lightly used from a Nascar team (came off their race car which doesn't see launches or even any shifting during a race). These kind of used racing parts can often be found for cheap on places like ebay. Since the clutch isn't car-specific and only the disk hubs are (and flywheel), it gives DSMs an affordable way to get into twin-disk clutches. Even with the brand new $200 rally disks, the clutch part of the setup costs less than a new ACT single disk.

I did contact Devotuning yesterday and haven't gotten any response yet, so that doesn't seem like an option. I will go with the PTT flywheel. I remember you mentioning in another thread that you went with the PTT flywheel because that's what was available a couple of years ago, so I wasn't sure if you were implying that there might be something better now. I will also still contact quartermaster to see what they say regarding the fitment of the disk-swapping.

I dont know if they sell them seperate but there is another option.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

By builtdsm, shot with DSC-W30 at 2009-03-09

Wow, thanks for all that, twicks. I've read a lot of your other posts on the QM clutch stuff so I've already seen the details like using shorter flywheel bolts, isuzu slave cylinder, etc. I'm glad you offered input here too.

The Optimum-V triple I bought has all the regular Optimum-V parts associated with it, so I'll have the fulcrum and middle floater. I'm not greatly concerned about the Optimum-V being weaker or having poorer heat handling because I don't plan to go over 500whp (at least for quite a while), and while the car will see some launches, it'll be mainly a daily driver. I would be leaving the Optimum-V floater that fits the housing on there unless there's a good reason to not do that.

The beauty of this type of setup and the reason I chose to try it is because it can be so cheap. I bought the entire triple disk clutch for $110 lightly used from a Nascar team (came off their race car which doesn't see launches or even any shifting during a race). These kind of used racing parts can often be found for cheap on places like ebay. Since the clutch isn't car-specific and only the disk hubs are (and flywheel), it gives DSMs an affordable way to get into twin-disk clutches. Even with the brand new $200 rally disks, the clutch part of the setup costs less than a new ACT single disk.

I did contact Devotuning yesterday and haven't gotten any response yet, so that doesn't seem like an option. I will go with the PTT flywheel. I remember you mentioning in another thread that you went with the PTT flywheel because that's what was available a couple of years ago, so I wasn't sure if you were implying that there might be something better now. I will also still contact quartermaster to see what they say regarding the fitment of the disk-swapping.

Heh heh...I have been doing the same thing for years using a few guys (Jchambers, raceproven, etc.) with great success. I usually use them for carbon parts, SS braided hoses and nomex hoses, etc. I think I paid around the exact same price for my Optimum V from Jchambers a few years back. I had a few friends purchase them as well, but they ended up going with the V-drive setup since at the time, there was not too much information out there.

I will see what I can come up with on my end for the sizing and fitment utilizing the Optimum-V cover/floaters/fulcrum with the rally disks and will get back to you!

Tim Z

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back