The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fluidampr Install Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo7825

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2002
Englewood, Florida
So I got my fluidampr from extreme psi and went to install and the back of the damper hits the lower timing cover. The ring that sticks out of the cover hits the damper on the bottom and won't let the damper sit flush.

I had searched and only found one reference to trimming the timing cover a few posts down in this thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/415884-timing-belt-question-fluidampr-questions.html

Is it normal to have to trim the lower timing cover?

Does anyone have a pic of the trimmed cover so I have an idea of what needs to be trimmed.

I got the part about needing longer bolts, but could not find a definitive answer to the trimming and why it is even needed.

I don't think that you should need to trim the cover. I have a fluidamper on my 99 GSX and I replaced the covers with brand new factory covers and did not have to trim anything.

Last edited:
I don't think that you should need to trip the cover. I have a fluidamper on my 99 GSX and I replaced the covers with brand new factory covers and did not have to trim anything.

Thanks for the reply!

So it seems maybe this is isolated to few of us. in both these threads below there are dampers show with marks on the back side confirming that there is an interference issue.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/415884-timing-belt-question-fluidampr-questions.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/374411-attention-all-fluidampr-users.html

http://
attachment.php

Also I wonder if the bolt length issue is really a torque spec issue. If you install the damper and it is hitting something then the torque spec maybe skewed just enough.

I wonder if it is due to changes in the damper design because my oem bolts actually stick out farther on the fluidampr then the oem. Or it could be differences between lower timing covers.

Need more input...if only I had started this yesterday I could call extreme or the manufacturer.

Those were the same marks I had on my Ati damper. On the grey colored timing belt cover you definitely have to trim down the ring. My 2g is a 6 bolt by the way with the 1g grey cover. I had to trim it. The black timing belt cover does not have that ring and I believe does not need to be trimmed.

black = 2g cover I believe
grey = 1g cover or the other way around can't remember.

black = 2g cover I believe
grey = 1g cover or the other way around can't remember.
No, that's correct, it's not the other way around.

Just pulled mine to do an inspection. I have a black cover [gvr4 oem]. It ate the ring. Nbd. Just run it. It will clearance itself. Haha. No issues here. I'm just confirming, yes a fluidampr will eat the extended ring on your timing cover if you don't trim it off.

Trim it before you do anything else bro. I had to do it for mine and it was a brand new cover ;). Don't just run it like that make sure you trim it till it makes no contact. It puts a strain on your crank pulley. Plus what if that plastic gets under your timing belt. Then your out a motor! With mine before I trimmed it I could barely turn the motor over and that what got my attention. Once it was trimmed the right amount I had no issue and havnt since.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back