The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

floating pins or..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarascan79

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 2, 2003
killeen, Texas
Hey i need to know what to tell the guy at the machine shop.I am trying to put 95 pistons on 1g eagle rods and he needs to know if the pins are floating or what. Thanks guys
Mike

Like Dr C said they are .20 over 95 je pistons. Sorry i didnt specify. Im trying to put them on 1g eagle rods, in a 7 bolt block...so i need to know if full floating, press fit or... i forgot what else he said. But if anyone knows about internals specifics let me know. I dont need a guess.thanks :D
Oh and charles did you find someone who wants that starion? I cant host the pic any where but if they email i can send it to them.I would like to ut it on dsmtrader but it wont let me register for some reason.email me.
Let me know as soon as possible guys. trying to get rollin and would appreciate it much.:thumb:
Mike

1: Eagle rods use a floating wrist pin, although I thought I read somewhere that a press fit version of the Eagle rods was available for some aplications.

2: Stock 95 or 2G pistons (if you will) use a press fit wrist pin.
To use a press fit piston on a floating pin rod the pistons would have to be modified. The piston would need to be machined for wrist pin retaining locks, (I.E. spirol locks, tru-arcs, ect.) Also the wrist pin it self would need to be shortened.

3: JE style fordged pistons come set up for floating wrist pins, no mods necessary.

4: Also if you are trying to use a 2g style piston on a 1g rod you will also have a wrist pin diameter difference to deal with. The 2g wrist pin is 1mm larger than the 1g.

That is why i have the rods in the machine shop so i can get the wrist bored out so the pins can fit.So its exactly A 1m difference? So i should tell them to bore them 1mm more than what they are right? Oh yeah. The rods should fit right up to the 7 bolt crank right.Thanks
Mike

i forgot to ask. So are you saying that i will have to tell them to do the spiral lock thing or that 95 je pistons should fit up with with the eagle rods after i get the rods bored 1mm over? Sorry im kinda slow about all this but i want to make sure its done right. Thanks again for your help.
Mike

Bump

The JE pistons use a different clip for the pins. They should have come with them. You cannot use anything different. You have to bore the rods 1mm???

Just what kind of machinists do you guys deal with? Out of the four shops I've dealt with, none of them ever had to ask this kind of question, it's been their job to either know or find out.
I guess maybe I've just been at this for too long. It just seems odd to me.

Originally posted by Defiant
Just what kind of machinists do you guys deal with? Out of the four shops I've dealt with, none of them ever had to ask this kind of question, it's been their job to either know or find out.
I guess maybe I've just been at this for too long. It just seems odd to me.

Thats what I was thinkin, who you got building the block, Billy Joe Bob???

This is just a guess but I would suspect that he brought the machinest a set of floating pin rods, and a set of pressed pin pistons, and the machinest is wondering which way he wants to go to put them together.

Although a good machinest/machine shop should have been able to offer some sugestions on how to proceed, or perhaps reccomend some differnt rods, or pistons that would not require modification to install properly. Just my .02 worth

For a press fit wrist pin you will need a interference fit of .0008 +,-.0001
I.E. the pin diameter of the connecting rod (I.D.) should be .0008 +,-.0001 smaller in diameter than the wrist pin (O.D.)

Have him check the thickness of the bushing in the eagle rods. Mine were exactly 1mm thick. Hence, removing the bushing made for a perfect press fit. Just depends on what you want to do. Might be his machinist isn't familiar with the 4G63, which is a bad thing...

I know exactly what happend.

Eagle makes two rods with different piston pin hole sizes. You probably bought the rod with the smaller diameter pin hole which will not fit the JE pistons. You need to send the rods back and get the ones with the correct pin hole size for your pistons.

I wish you guys the most luck with your engine rebuilds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back