The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Floating H beam Rods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted_ego6985

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2010
Myrtle Beach, South_Carolina
I searched and couldn't find anything but was wondering if anybody could give me some info on floating H beam rods? I got a 7 bolt block from a guy that was doing a build and got deployed to Iraq. He had it bored .20 over, installed ACL race bearings, a BSE kit, new oil pump, had crank checked and smoothed, and installed 6380 floating aluminum H beam rods. I know what everything is except the rod terminology. I understand H beam just not the floating part. I called up race engineering in florida and the guy I spoke with told me that a set of wiescos shipped to me would be $550. SO my question is this, is there anything cheaper that I could go with for now as far as pistons just to get my car back running and I was also told that whatever pistons I got would have to use retaining clips I couldn't use stock type with press in wrist pins? :banghead: Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx to all who reply.

Last edited:
So the floating part refers to the wrist pin. They just snap in instead of press in. So you can install them yourself and not pay the shop to do it for you. As far as pistons you are probably stuck buying a "good" i.e. expensive piston because all the stock replacement i.e. cheap pistons use a press in wrist pin. You could probably buy a set of stock rods and use cheap pistons but if I was you I'd bite the bullet and get the wiesco's or look at je pistons or one of the other quality brands. That way once you do get the motor together there shouldn't be any problems and should be able to turn up the boost and make some good power

Floating wrist pin means, that you do not need a press to install the wrist pin. Usually they have C-Clips aka snap rings. You need pistons that have a float style wrist pin to install on the float style rods.

its just like they have egeal rods.. the wrist pin is held in place with clips tht seat in the pistons.. you can not use a stock replacement piston..

so you can understand a bit better...

this is an oe press fit set up..

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...ss-fit-pistons-balace-rods-6bolt-1g-4g63.html

this is more like what you have and will have to do.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/342138-how-fix-balance-hang-pistons.html

there is more info in both treads than what you need, it is towards the end of them you need to read.....

also the piston choice is yours, about any decent forged piston will work.. wiseco, diamonds, JE...

thanx for all the info guys but after doing some searching I was able to find a COMPLETE 6 bolt with the manifolds and turbo and the works for 300 so I'm good. I'm just gonna do the swap and say the hell with it LOL. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back