The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

flexplate headache/ broken flexplate x 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodssnova

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2009
Houston, Texas
I have a 91 talon fwd 4g63t 6 bolt and have broken 2 flexplates....different times and 1 brand new one that lasted 1 month, for a total of 3. All my trans to engine bolts are tight , converter to crank bushings is installed, spacers from factory are there. Any guess to what I'm missing? Do I need to stack 2 flexplates and weld the bolts or ? This is making me crazy. I do have solid motor mounts and a stock trans mount. A big 16 g and port/polished head and manifolds. 3" exhaust turbo back. There is space to pull the conv. Forward after the trans is bolted tight and then I bolt the conv to the flexplate. So its deff not in a bind. Any help would be great.....BTW max boost is 17-20 psi.

How many flexplates have you broken? I can get 2 plates for the price of a kiggly and still use all the bolt holes. With the kiggly, I would have to weld pads on the convertor right?

Hey will i need to do any additional mods when adding the kiggly flexplate? check out my flexplate broke off in 3 places and still ran.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I found a bolt that had been missing at the very bottom of the bellhousing at the back of the engine. It is a smaller diameter then the rest of the bolts, and is installed from the oil pan side of the joint. Look at your transmission and locate that hole and make sure it didn't break or fall out. I have broken several flexplates due to lack of this bolt. In your pic, it would go in the lower left hole. Also make sure the little insert is in the end of the crank when you put it all back together. Also from the looks of your bolts, might want to get some new ones. And locktight everything!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back