The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

flat cam lobe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted1stgen

Proven Member
Jul 27, 2013
Kingman, Arizona
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
So i finally had my car up and running after it sat for a few years, seemed to run okay, but it had a miss at idle and when warm a ticking coming from the head. So after checking it out i pull VC off and notice the lobes leading up to the top on both cams have flat spots some on both sides, some on one, and some didnt. Since they have to come out anyway i pulled one of the cam caps to find scouring, my question is what could have caused it and what should be replaced? Cams, lifters, rockers?

Thank you 91-gs. I actually just cleaned all the lifters the other day, and they didnt seem too bad. the rockers all turn freely but some of them the roller part has a bluing color to them, kinda like they were overheated. They are the same ones from before the blown headgasket, so could be from that also.

I do not see any alarming wear on any of the parts. Typical for I high milage motor.

aren't the cams supposed to be that shape, leading to max lift? something to do with accelerations and ramp rates, i guess...

Looks normal. If you degree cams on a regular basis you'd see some wierd stuff. You'd be amazed how much the lobe opens and closes for various reasons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back