The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Flashable ECU in auto 2g problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agarc023

Supporting VIP
May 14, 2009
Vista, California
I just ordered an ECU from Jeff at Dsmchips. I put it in the car and went for a drive but there was a problem. The car is an automatic, but it seemed that it was stuck in drive the whole time. What I mean is that it took a while to get to speed. Moving the shifter into 2, 1, or throwing on the overdrive made no difference, it would just not shift.

Anybody know what could be wrong?

Swap your original ecu back in and see if that fixes it. I suspect you may have upset the tcu ground, pulled too much on the wiring harness, or pulled a plug from the tcu. There really isn't much interaction between the tcu and the ecu.

I have the original ecu in it now and it drives fine. I was talking to Jeff and he is a bit confused as well. Is there anything else I can check?

It does more than send a timing pull signal, but not by a whole lot. There has never been an issue using a manual ecu in an automatic car to the extent that both Knockgoon and I are using evo8 ecus in automatics with no issue and the evo8 never came with an automatic.

I STILL expect this to be coincidence. At one point I was having transmission issues and it would go into limp mode any time that I went in reverse but if I started the car and only went forward it was fine.

So is there anything that can be done about this? Jeff offered me a refund if I couldn't get it figured out, but I really wanted to use this for my tuning solution.

Another thing that happens when using the new ecu is that when its on a cold start and I put into gear (reverse for example), the whole car jerks horribly, but I think that may be because of an increased idle rpm

Make sure the Park/Neutral switch is working properly.

The 98/99 ecus do some weird things when it thinks the car isn't in drive. (Can cause knock, bogging, jerking, etc.)

-> Another option is to just ground the ecu pin 91(Park/Neutral Switch), this is how the 5-Speeds are set up. (I would try this first)

Also make sure you didn't pull any wires when swapping ecus, I pulled the TPS wire slightly out of the ecu plug once when swapping ecus.
It would make intermittent contact everytime I hit a bump or launched the car, took me a week to figure out what was going on.

Log everything with EvoScan and see if any reading is out of range or looks weird.

To my knowledge TCUs 95-99 are all the same, so shouldn't make a difference what year DSM ecu is connected. (There are a few guys with Evo8 ecus in DSM Autos)

Even grounding pin 91 wouldn't be an ideal fix if the P/N switch is bad. I have mine bypassed temporarily in a very hacked way and I must say that it sucks, no cruise control, weird shifting, inconsistent behaviors, etc.

I'll be making it less rigged later today by adding a switch to manually operate the park circuit, and this will also be a temporary solution but I don't have a garage right now or a new switch to try out. All the other gear circuits work.

Just an update for you guys. Jeff just contacted me and told me that he would be sending another ecu for me to try out. On the last one I had him ground a pin in the ecu to get rid of a p1500 code that came after swapping in a saturn alternator. He is not doing that for this other ecu.

I will try to get a log and check the wires soon. I am a bit busy right now with a test at school.

Okay so another update. The problem was resolved. To my embarrassment, I ended up pulling the damn TCU and throwing on the new ECU there. The car was running on the stock ECU and without a TCU. In my noobish hastiness I only saw the TCU sitting there so I assumed that was the one that needed to come out. :banghead:

Thank you to everybody that replied and I thank Jeff for having such awesome customer service.

Problem solved:coy::sosad:

I'm just glad that I thought of it last night. I was beginning to panic that there might be a compatibility issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back