The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder Fix for the Spyder Roof Elastic Strap Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tired of fixing bent and broken top links? …Replacing broken motor pins? …Replacing stretched out elastic strips? Afraid to let someone borrow your car for fear that they might not know the proper roof-lowering procedure?

Today I looked over the position of the parts of the roof mechanism and the way they move in relation to one another and decided it was possible to use a non-elastic strap of some sort to apply tension to the floating bow during top retraction. Actually I knew it was possible, replacement links with a cable are available on ebay to solve the problem. I would seriously consider them if my links were actually broken, not just bent. After scrounging the garage for suitable materials I came across a chain to an old dog collar or leash. I used it to replace the elastic straps. So far I’ve tested it in the driveway a few times and it seems to work flawlessly.

If your links aren’t broken yet and you want to get rid of the lame, problematic elastic straps, try this.

Materials:
· Chain or cable. Cable might be more appropriate if you have a way to clamp loops on the ends. Chain is easy to work with.
· Sheet metal or self-tapping screws. About ½ to ¾ inches long.

Tools:
· Screw Driver
· Drill and bits (appropriately sizes for the sheet metal screws).
· Saw or cutters to cut the chain/cable.
· Ruler or tape measure.
· Spring loaded punch (optional).

Procedure:
1. Remove the old elastic straps and plastic clips connecting the 2nd (floating) bow to the 3rd bow.
2. With the roof in the half open position, mark the position for the screw in the 3rd bow. It will be in the area where the plastic clip for the elastic strap was removed, about an inch in from the webbing strip attachment (see FIG 1).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

3. Drill a hole straight through the aluminum and the plastic backing. Be careful not to penetrate the webbing over the top of the bow or the roof material (see FIG 2).

4. Cut a piece of chain or cable so that the mounting points are 8.5 inches apart (see FIG 3).

5. Fit a sheet metal or self-tapping screw in the hole in the bow. When you have the screw threaded, remove it and fit one end of the chain under the screw, and then re-install the screw (see FIF 4).

6. Close the roof completely and lock the toggle latches.
7. Pull back the headliner enough to expose the floating bow link and the chain. Pull the chain to line up with the link. With the chain taught, mark the point where the chain link ends at the bow link. This is where you will drill the 2nd hole (see FIG 5).

8. Drill hole and fit screw into the link (see FIG 6).

9. Open the roof half way and affix the loose end of the chain to the link (see FIG 7).

10. Repeat procedure for the other side.

Ron Tew

More pics

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back