The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fix for peeling 1g dash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerdurden801

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2003
WashingtonUS
My dash pad is curling up at the far passenger bottom corner, right above the glove box. I can't think of how to realistically permanently repair it. I don't want to buy a new pad for $350, no adhesive would bond the pad to the metal underneath (that I can think of), in fact the only thing I can think of is to drill small holes in the metal underneath and stitch the pad down with heavy duty fishing line, which would be a very labor intensive task. Any ideas? This can't be that uncommon, my GF's 94 does the same thing.

Mine is doing the same thing. I havn't fixed it yet. Just use a screw and a big fat washer?? Not the prettiest, but it would work, I think..

~Andrew~:laser:

I had to swap the dash out. Mine was peeling pretty bad. :thumbdown

Although Im glad I did. And it took forever. I knew something had to be done when the ladies started asking what was up with my dash. heh:rolleyes:

Check out my gallery for pics of the car with no dash.

So you just bought a new pad?

I wouldn't be averse the washer/bolt solution if you could somehow make it look cool or cover it with something functional. Otherwise you've just traded one eyesore for another.

I kinda thought of an idea. You could do a bolt and washer and try to mount it flush with the rest of the dash pad and then cover it with a DSM emblem. Anyone know where you can get Eagle emblems (smallish)?

so my dash is peeling as well, in the passenger corner, its getting so bad i was going to buy a new one from the dealer but they have discontinued it. are there any shops that can recover it?

Add mine to the pile! My first 1G did the same thing too. I currently have my dash out repairing a water leak, it took me 3 hours to get it out, and I'm going to recover it with some red marine vinyl that you can pick up at Joanne Fabric. It has a really nice quality look and it's only 14.99 per foot as opposed to $350 IF you can find a replacement dash. I definitely recommend pulling the dash and doing it right. A bolt through through the dash is fine for a temp fix but is that really the kind of work you want to produce? Good luck!

I have the same problem and have been thinking of a couple of fixes. I think that I will first try to use an adheasive (3M 5200) and see if I can either clamp it down for the 24 hours to cure, or use a 2"x4" and lodge it between the passenger seat and the dash to hold it down till it cures. If that doesn't work I think that I will try to drill a hole and bolt it down and then cover it with some sort of round plastic cap.
I'm open to other ideas???

Add mine to the list too. What I did to fix it was use super strengh weatherstrip adhesive ( The yellow, snotty looking stuff, not trim adhesive). You will need to clamp it down or brace it long enough to set up. It fixed all of my places except the toughest corner of the dash pad. That could have been my fault though because I was rushing the job that time. I just haven't tried it again to see if I could get it to stay. Other things are more important right now but I will eventually try again. :D

Add me to the list. I see this a is common problem. I tried using some heavy duty 3M adhesive. Didnt work for me. If some one knows a fix let us know please

Try Automotive Goop. That is the best glue ever. It puts up with the heat and doesn't let go. I've got stuff I glued 20+ years ago and it is still glued together.

Used a screw with a decent size washer and put it right on the bottom under the glove box door. Cant see it, and it looks pretty good. I tried every glue and nothing worked. Just got that little dimple, right above where the screw is.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's definitely one of the better attempts that I've seen at fixing the dash without replacing it. Nice job! I like your door panel too. I'd like to see a few more of those. Can you tell me what technique/materials you used? I'm mainly curious about the blue cloth. I want to do something like that to match the dash repair I'm working on. :sneaky:

This was my fix. I'm sure its not the best method but it worked. I put the screws in every 2 inches and covered them with black snap caps.

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 660
I commented in this thread earlier before I had any real solutions.
1.I completely removed my dash and tried several times to get that stubborn pad to lay the heck back down. I made 3 attempts to be exact. It seems that Gorilla Glue finally did the trick. It's not enough though to just apply it.
2.You have to roughen the dash frame and to make double sure I recommend drilling a nice line of 1/8" holes every 1" or so in the frame. (this is what I did) This allows the glue to seep through the holes, keep in mind that this glue swells to 3-4 times it's original size, and when it swells it's lodged in those 1/8" holes and very stiff and firm. I'm so stoked that it seems to have worked.
I even bought a different pad from a guy in VA for $80 shipped. All in all I've got $150 tied up in the dash and it looks almost perfect. Good luck, guys!

I know it's been 4 years, but how did it work for you turboterror99?

Holy thread resurrection. But you already realize that. When I first considered having to combat a peeling dash, Gorilla Glue was my first thought. The holes he mentioned are a good idea. If anything's going to work, it's that. May want to PM him, as he may not see your post here otherwise. Still might not, having been active last more than three years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back