The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

First Track experience with the new dizzum.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBstar

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2004
Jackson, Michigan
I'll try to keep this short. But first of all to explain the car a little bit. This is my third attempt at building my 14b drag car. The first one I had lightened to a tin can (best guess was about 2400lbs or less) and had most of the mods I wanted minus proper wheels/tires. I had to sell it due to financial reasons (put myself through college). The second one never really got off the ground, made a great DD and I sold it when a lady ran a red light and totalled the wife's DD, we needed a down payment for something new. This one was a labor of love from the DSM community, a large majority of the parts were given to me free of charge or at unbelieveable deals, including the shell which was free of charge! I can't thank those in the dsm community enough that helped me out! A special thanks go out to DSMLoki for providing me with a garage to assemble it.

Anyways on to 10-16-09. I didn't plan on going to the track as I had alot of things I wanted to do to the car still before my first outing. My only goals this year were to get out to the track and make a 13 second pass. A buddy called me though and said he was going and offered to lend me a spare ecu (mine wouldn't let the car past 4500rpms, leaky caps suck!). So I fixed a coolant leak and headed out!

TrackDay002.jpg

Milan dragway was nearly empty as the weather was nearing the high 40's at best. I pulled in, went through tech and straight up to the starting line. On the way there WOT pulls resulted in 14psi. Things felt good off the launch, wipers started going, hit 2nd, hit 3rd, MISSED 4th! Slammed it in and got back on the gas feeling like a newb! This was only my 2nd trip down the 1320 ever so I had no idea how I did other then the car felt great up until that missed shift. Grabbed my time slip and nearly flipped out!

timeslip136.jpg

I met my goals for the year and then some! The 1/8th time and MPH meant that it could've potentially been a 12.9 second pass!

Of course, what could've been doesn't mean anything so I lined back up again. Launch wasn't as good (1.85) and I missed the proper rpm shift point for the 1-2 then missed 4th again! Something didn't feel right after that. Drove around and found out I dumped oil all over the track! Apparently I blew the line for my oil pressure gauge. Lesson learned, never use a mechanical oil pressure gauge, especially with nylon line. So now I have a nasty rod knock and the car will be down until next year. Didn't even get a chance to turn the boost up. But at least I got my goal for this year. Next year it's low 12's or bust!

Relevant mods
14b @ 14psi w/7cm ported hotside
Buschur MBC
Walbro 255
Hard intake pipe w/K&N & slightly hacked 1g maf
Built trans (welded diff, double syncroes)
ACT 2600 (used)
SBR 1g exhaust mani
3" turboback
2.5" tubular open dump O2 housing
Some weight loss including - no rear bumper, half front bumper, no A/C, no spare tire/tools, no sound system
Still nearly full interior, all seats, carpets, plastics

Again thanks to everyone who helped out with this car, I owe you guys!

TrackDay017.jpg

Hopefully within a month or so we'll be moving into a new place with a garage and I can start the rebuild process. Plans for next year include DSMLink and an Evo FMIC which I've already picked up as well as some significant weight loss. After that hopefully I'll pick up some larger injectors and a wideband and throw some E-85 at her.

Is this with stock sidemount and IC piping?
This is exactly what I want to do with my car.
I already have the 255, exact same built trans as you, the 2600, and the 7cm hotside! Man... goals closer than I thought it would be...

Oh, and can you tell the difference between a stock trans and a trans with a welded diff? I haven't finished installing my trans completely so I'm excited to find out.

If the trans has a welded diff, when you go to back up the inside wheel will lock up. I may have it backwards (outside rear instead of inside), but my Talon has been parked for the last 8 months.

Thats not bad at all, you got a decent 60 foot time if you wouldnt have missed 4th you probably would have ran low 13s or high 12s sorry bout your luck with the gauge line that sucks!! e-85 is a good way to go as long as you have it available localy. You can run more boost and not worry about detination issues and its 105 octane(very cheap also).

Nice man, love what your car number was. LOL hope you get her rebuild sooner then later.

Problems using a welded center instead of an LSD/VC unit include wearing out tires, drive shaft, CV shafts, and engine mounts more quickly, and slipping or chirping of the tires when turning in tight areas.

That quote from Jack's pretty much sums up the welded diff. Kind of a pain when getting into and out of parking spots, and you can slightly feel it around tight turns at any speeds, definately not for any kind of road racing!

Looking at the 8th and speed, I think low 13's and high 12's were definately possible, I seriously just need to get more practice out there. Get that 60ft down to 1.7 and make sure to hit 4th and I'll have a good next year. And this year yes everything was done on the stock smic and piping.

Oh yeah and I was car #27, the mustang next to me was filling in for the antichrist. Wish I was deep in the 11's! Not quite possible at 14psi.

I think I have at least 4 E-85 stations within 30 miles of me, one within 2 miles currently, and another planning on going in very soon! Makes perfect sense for me to switch to running corn :rocks:

Nice run for your 2nd trip down the 1320. Sucks about spilling the oil and getting rod knock. I had rod knock because my bearings were shot and now i got a built motor Turbotrix Racing ftw. Good luck with the build and meeting your goals for next year.

At least you got to the strip this year, that's first. Once your car is ready to rip, get as much seat time as you can next year and I'm sure you'll drop right into the 12's:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back