The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

First time setting VE values Speed Density

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLENK

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2011
DC, Maryland
I was reading about SD VE Adjust (CombinedFT) and I have a few questions or things to clear up.
I have already taken a few idle logs, and a few decent part throttle logs. The tool seemed to make all the adjustments it wants to so far (after about 5 drives, couple of WOT pulls in them)

What do they mean by smoothing? try to keep your values locally linear?

I assume the tool does not work under WOT (thats what posting logs here/ecmtuning is for?)

Extending closed loop parameters: If i follow the parameters here: sdveadjcomft [ECMTuning - wiki] Am i at potential risk for anything? I should reset them after i am done logging for the adjustment tool?

Should I be looking for anything in the logs to adjust VE values on my own? Or is it just "graphical" smoothing?

Should I reset my fuel trims after dialing in the new VE table? or at any point? I had some boost leaks before, they heve been greatly reduced (almost no leak, I have some pinholes on a bad alum weld...) worthy of a reset?

I usually reset once I've made all my adjustments, and then after they are still spot on. ...and yes, you want to keep the graph smooth. No big jumps from one cell to another. Gofer has posted a perfect example of what a graph should look like when done. Mine looks similar at least, won't say as good but pretty good. I just don't have any logs on my PC.

Here is gofers. Not saying you should use the same values, but it should look at least somewhat smooth like this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This thread has some good info in it if you want to read through it. Gofers original post is in there as well.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/408785-gvr4-e85-tune-sd.html

Ok i think I got the smoothing idea now. Ill play around with it a bit. Should I notice smoother engine response or something?

And how do I go about pulling fuel the correct way? just adjust the rpm based fuel sliders? we dont compensate for fuel mixture in the VE table correct? just smooth the VE tool adjustments?

Ok i think I got the smoothing idea now. Ill play around with it a bit. Should I notice smoother engine response or something?

And how do I go about pulling fuel the correct way? just adjust the rpm based fuel sliders? we dont compensate for fuel mixture in the VE table correct? just smooth the VE tool adjustments?

Use the VE table, I don't use the timing/fuel sliders at all. The timing sliders I only use to pull the timing I need to pull so that my base timing is set correctly. The rest I do through the VE table as far as fuel and the timing through the Direct Access Tables.

The first thing I noticed once dialed in with Speed Density is throttle Response (as long as your MAP Sensor is placed and the vacuum line is routed properly). The car drives so amazing and the tune is so consistent. I will never go back to a MAF, that should say it all. :)

the smoothing should just make AFR's more consistant and not have them jumping around any , basicalaly smooth transitions from closed to open loop and then steady through the pull even with changes in boost

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back