The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95FullSend99

Proven Member
Dec 3, 2019
ledyard, Connecticut
Hello guys and gals. I am interested in trying my hand at some entry level road course events. I have been searching alot online and for the most part I have been pointed at HPDE events to learn. And learning is exactly what I need.
I want an entry level experiance where I can learn what I should or shouldn't do, safety, and simply how to drive my car at its limits as safe as possible.

What should I expect from my first experiance?

Is there any classes or books that I can take or read that my help me learn?

What kind of safety do I need to start?

I already have quite a bit of modification done to my car so do I need more safety than others like a cage or special clothing?

How do I sign up? Or is it more of a show up then sign up kind of affair?

Any information is good information guys. Much appricated. Cheers.

I've only done 1 HPDE event in my previous Corvette, however, I'd recommend starting slow and don't over-think it. Make sure the car is in good mechanical condition. The biggest things you'll want to start with are maintenance, tires, brakes. Go to an event with an open mind, get an instructor to ride with you, and you should be good to go!

As far as finding events, figure out which track local to you you'd like to participate in. Typically, many driving clubs will host events that you will need to sign up for beforehand. https://www.motorsportreg.com/ is typically where most events will require you sign up.

Usually about 20-25 minute track sessions with an instructor, no passing initially and even when allowed only in certain sections of the track, and you'll not be as fast or as in control as you might expect so err on the side of safety and listen to everything your instructor says. Drive with smooth inputs always, no jerking anything and no sudden stomping the gas or brakes. Keep your eyes forward and always looking at the NEXT apex, not the current one, and you'll find you driving towards the right line more than you would otherwise.

No idea, I never read up before track driving. I played lots of Gran Turismo which no joke helped a ton.

Car maintenance in good order, no leaks. Fresh brake pads, but ideally ones suited for the race track. Tires with decent tread left. Helmet and usually longsleeved cotton shirt and pants, though in the last number of years on hotter days I've seen orgs be more lax on this allowing t-shirts, and sometimes even shorts. If you have racing harnesses be damned sure you properly mounted them and that your passenger seat has equivalent or better safety gear.

Register with an org, they have different requirements. Usually there is an annual membership fee and then an individual event fee to pay. Check motorsportreg.com for nearby events, but not all orgs use that service and sometimes you just need to know what's going on, ask around, or google for hdpe events in your area. Some orgs are car make specific, like Audi and Porsche, but sometimes they will let you run in their events if you ask nicely, sometimes a cold email to a POC can open a door you didn't expect and get you more track time for a cheaper price.

You absolutely must pre-register. Typically an org will require you have your car tech'd, which means reviewed for safety, but some orgs allow you to do the tech check-off sheet yourself if you deem yourself competent. Others require you go to specific shops and pay to have it done, much like a state inspection. Before any event with any org you will need to read that org's rules and regulations, and in general learn the general operation of the track event and most importantly the flag system. Also you should watch videos of other people driving the track you'll be on to familiarize yourself with the layout.

What should I expect from my first experiance?

You should go into your first experience with eyes open, ears open, and the full intent to learn. You can read all about driving on a track, play video games, etc. but I don't think much will prepare you for the information overload you're going to experience. Learning the racing line, learning about all the flags, where the flag stations are at, how to drive with smooth inputs, and how to deal with other cars around you is just the start. A good organization will have classroom sessions where they teach you most of the stuff mentioned above, you'll have an in-car instructor for your sessions on track, and some of them will have car control sessions (skid pad or small autox course with sand on the ground).

Ask questions and take the feedback and apply it. Make sure your instructor is communicating with you or ask for a new one. One thing that I did as I started to learn more was to communicate to my instructor when I messed up before they had the chance to say something. This will help reinforce your skills as well as make you more aware the next time around to not repeat your behavior.

Another thing to do is ask if your instructor can give you a ride in their car. This will give you a different perspective of the track as well as allow you to focus on all the things that may have been pushed back in your brain while you were driving and trying to keep the car on the track. You'll be able to pick out the line better, look for the flag stations, and pay attention to how traffic works (may be different than your novice session as some instructor sessions do not require a point by to pass and they can pass anywhere on the track).

Is there any classes or books that I can take or read that my help me learn?

You'll be put into a class with the rest of the novices at your event and this will suffice. Most books will be racing focused and/or advanced technique centered and most likely not apply or put thoughts in your head that should not be there for your first track experience.

What kind of safety do I need to start?

At a minimum, you'll need an SA2015 helmet, pants, and closed-toed shoes. There's really no need for anything else at this time.

I already have quite a bit of modification done to my car so do I need more safety than others like a cage or special clothing?

Don't go through the trouble of adding more modifications to your car until you go out on track a few times and realize you like it. I've been running a car with no cage in jeans and a t-shirt for years. While it's not ideal, it allows me to still drive the car on the street safely.

One thing you will most likely run into is overheating. These cars are notorious for it and the easiest way to mitigate this is turn the boost the whole way down. This will also give you a slower car which is easier to learn on.

How do I sign up? Or is it more of a show up then sign up kind of affair?

You will need to sign up in advance. There's a ton of ways to find events in your area so pick whichever is easiest for you. I heard about this site last year that's a calendar of all the various track days. I'm not sure it includes everything though

https://hpdejunkie.com/

Other organizations that may have events in your area:

NASA Pro Racing
SCCA
Chin Motorsports

As John mentioned above, make sure your car is in solid working order. The basic things to worry about are brake pads (trackpads), brake fluid (high temp, fresh bleed), tires (good tread), and everything being buttoned up (no leaks, everything secure).

Road courses aren't my thing but I've done a few. I learned your car is probably not as good as you think it is, particularly with brakes. Smooth is better. Fun is more important than times at first. Instructors in rental cars probably outlap many street driven "race" cars. Brakes MUST be up to speed. Remember brake fluid is hygroscopic. How often do you change yours?

Ive never done any road or autocross. But I know suspension setup plays a big role. My old stock suspension had so much roll it was crazy.

I am going to follow this thread. I'm curious on how it goes. I'm like you, I built the car and need a helping hand to get started. I always wanted to try autocross at the shootout but I was always intimidated and nervous.

Take some things for in between sessions.
Like a nice foldable chair, sun protection and something to eat and drink.

Depending on how long you are waiting for your next group session, some headphones and music is nice.

Take some things for in between sessions.
Like a nice foldable chair, sun protection and something to eat and drink.

Depending on how long you are waiting for your next group session, some headphones and music is nice.

Depending on what organization, novices usually don't have much downtime. They go from class to track to car control and repeat. Here's a sample schedule from a group I run with frequently that you can check out the first time/novice schedule.

https://autointerests.com/sites/default/files/event/forms/2019 sample schedule.png

But bringing food and drink is a good point. Staying hydrated is key and something you should not take lightly, even if it's not hot out.

Man. Late to the show! But yeah, there's not much more to add. There's a ton of knowledge already up LOL. If you're local to me, hit me up. I track with a group that's great to run with. First event is April 3rd! Feel free to PM for details.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back