The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

First time on the dyno! Better than expected!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetdsmpwr

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Canton, Michigan
Well I finally got my 99 GSX on the dyno last Saturday and the results were much better than expected. On a Mustang dyno at R/T Tuning, my Evo 3 16G at 23-24 psi put down 316 whp and 310 wtq. I thought this was pretty good considering the motor is completely stock(valve cover has only been off once to get it powder coated) and was tuned completely by me. Most of the time people need cams to push the 16G over the 300 whp mark. These numbers do seem kind of high considering that it is a mustang dyno, but I'll take it. Hopefully now I will be able break into the 12's, with some better driving as well. Changes since my 13.2 pass include a much better tune(pulled about 4-5 degrees of timing on that 13.2 run), TiAL QR bypass valve which fixed the boost leak that my 1G BOV was creating, and a 1G 60 mm throttle body.

Dyno sheet:
http://i54.tinypic.com/ztyr68.jpg

Video of dyno run:
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I also have some FP 1x's, a GM IAT, and OmniPower 4 Bar MAP sensor I plan on installing soon, but not after I break into the 12's on this setup. The cams will hopefully bring peak power over 5800 RPM's.

thats not bad bro, i cant wait to get my 91 gsx on a dyno.

Something is definitely holding you back, the evoIII is good for 350 easily, 400 with some good tuning.

Good job bud. The car sounded pretty quite and clean to be honest. It did sound like it was slow with spooling or I'm just used to hearing the sound of a large turbo :p

great numbers, what type of fuel was this on? please tell me 93oct pump gas...i been wanting to get a evo 3 but all the people i see past 300whp are runnin e85 or racde gas, i wanna see what the evo3 will do with 93oct and meth

I also want to run evo3big 16g but I don't have the luxury of meth 93 pump and stuff like that.

well meth kits usually go for like 300-400 bux, then runnin on straight 93 pump, unless you only have 91oct by where you live then a meth kit would hep you out tons, most performance shops carry m10 methanol and around where i live they sell for 5bux a gallon, its pretty cheap, i would run e85 if i had a pump close to me, but they are all like 40 miles away from where i live, so i rather stick to 93 and meth LOL

Mustang dynos read lower too so hes probably making closer to 350whp or more. The only way to really tell is taking the car to the strip and see what it traps.

I'll be taking the car to the strip on May 13th, so I guess we'll see then. My best trap before was 106, but now I am running more boost and timing, a larger TB elbow and TB, and a much better tune all-together.

great numbers, what type of fuel was this on? please tell me 93oct pump gas...i been wanting to get a evo 3 but all the people i see past 300whp are runnin e85 or racde gas, i wanna see what the evo3 will do with 93oct and meth

This was on straight 93 octane pump gas. Peak timing was 17 degrees up top. I tried to do one more degree but got tons of knock. I am definitely on the limit of pump gas with this turbo. Hopefully I can squeeze some more out of it with cams, but I might have to eventually have to do a meth injection or E85.

Good luck at the track. Back when I had a stock motor and a B16G I put down 306 at the wheels on a dyno pack dyno on 91 with stock cams and I was able to run a 12.9 in the 1/4 at about 106. The 12.8 in my profile I added in five gallons of 105 octane to the 91 to prevent knock. As long as you launch it good and shift fast as hell you can get a high 12.

Good luck at the track. Back when I had a stock motor and a B16G I put down 306 at the wheels on a dyno pack dyno on 91 with stock cams and I was able to run a 12.9 in the 1/4 at about 106. The 12.8 in my profile I added in five gallons of 105 octane to the 91 to prevent knock. As long as you launch it good and shift fast as hell you can get a high 12.

Thanks dude. I think it was capable of 12's before, but my clutch was slipping and I kept having knock. My clutch master cylinder was also leaking, but I just replaced it and put in a full braided SS line in so I should be able to shift a little faster now. I'm also not the best driver in the world, but I'm getting there. I'm hoping for a 12.6-12.8 at 108-110 next time.

You can make more power with boost then you can with timing. My friends 1g with a very rich tune 10.8 afr and low timing 15 degrees on 26 psi with an evo3 and meth went 12.9 at 106. 1.7 60 ft and a crappy 2-3 shift. His car was a freak to say the least. Were not sure the meth was working on that pass either. 2 days later the trans basically said goodbye as the 3-4 shift fork broke and created a silver slime trail when he pulled the plug after limping it for a week with 1,2-5 shifting. Your car however is also heavier being a 2g. I think mid 12's should be acheivable with a bit more tweaking and good driving.

You can make more power with boost then you can with timing. My friends 1g with a very rich tune 10.8 afr and low timing 15 degrees on 26 psi with an evo3 and meth went 12.9 at 106. 1.7 60 ft and a crappy 2-3 shift. His car was a freak to say the least. Were not sure the meth was working on that pass either. 2 days later the trans basically said goodbye as the 3-4 shift fork broke and created a silver slime trail when he pulled the plug after limping it for a week with 1,2-5 shifting. Your car however is also heavier being a 2g. I think mid 12's should be acheivable with a bit more tweaking and good driving.

I hope so. I still have the clutch that was slipping last year, but it has been behaving so much better this year. Hopefully it stays that way in a few weeks. I run my car "rich" at 10.9-10.8 AFR up top, kind of have to on pump gas to keep the knock away. I'm probably going to see at the track if I can lean it out to 11.0-11.1, but I don't think it will be worth much extra power.

Made it to the track last weekend. Almost beat my best of 13.23 with a 13.26, but at only 101 mph vs. 105 mph before. The boost was not holding as well as it did on the dyno and it only peaked around 22-23 psi vs. 24 psi on the dyno. I was going to turn up the boost more but the track closed before I could.

The tune was great. I only got a 1 count of knock a few times on my best run. The only thing is that I swapped throttle bodes (2G to 1G) and my TPS was only reading 96% at full throttle. On the dyno it showed 100%, but I'll just have to adjust it properly this time. I don't know if that will effect anything. I also have not done a boost leak test in a long time, so there may be some small leaks I don't know about. Since I have a MBC, boost varies with the temperature outside. My second pass I did a 13.3 @ 98 mph on around 22 psi. I added 1 psi on the last run and trapped 101, so with 2 more psi(about 25 psi) I should be trapping 105-108 and hopefully be in the 12's. If anyone is wondering, race weight is 3335 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job man :rocks:

If you want, post your tune and we can see if everything is tip top :D

The tune was great. I only got a 1 count of knock a few times on my best run.

If you're not opposed I wouldn't mind viewing a log. Clearly you've done well for yourself, however, from looking at the dyno graph there appears to be room for a tweak. Could also be dyno setup/conditions, but, I'm certainly no expert.

I'll put up my tune and log later tonight. The main problem with my setup is that there is not enough top-end power. If you look at my dyno sheet, peak power is at 5800 rpms. Once I put my cams in, that should change hopefully.

Below is a link for a screen shot of my tune, but I don't know how to attach my log which is an Excel spreadsheet. Anyone know how I can put my log on here?

http://i51.tinypic.com/mwfyp4.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back