The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

First time DSM owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cisco_Alex

Proven Member
Mar 1, 2015
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Hello all,
I am a fisrt time DSM owner/First time poster and my first turbo car. I have wanted one for such a long time but my life's financial situation just didn't allow for it. I'm glad to report I have a stable carreer in IT and looking to build my first DSM.
I just came accross a 1998 Eclipse GST on CL, upon inspecting the car I noticed that it had been well taken care of and just had a timingbelt and water pump maintenance done along with a rebuilt head all with a paper tail. I purchased the car and brought it home. My goals are very simple and I just want a 350Whp. My car is completely stock and I have started purchasing equipment for the build. So far I have an innovate wideband kit, Fuel pressure regulator, Greddy BOV, gauge pods with oil pressure and boost guage, 255LPH fuel pump, and plannig on picking up a front mount intercooler. I'm very new at this and I apologize for any redundancy if this has been covered before. I just want to know what anyones opinions of turbo i should go with, injectors, and other hings I will need for the build.
The main goal is to purchase everything then build. Any input would be apprecitaed.

Thanks everyone and thank you DSMTuner for such an informative site for everything DSM. You guys rock!

Welcome! ,
Youv come to the right place ! , these cars are old so there isnt a question that hasnt been awnsered so use that search as much as you can! Theres upgrade paths for 2gs that might help you out! Or even tech articles that will make life so much easier! Hope you have as much fun with learning as ido enjoy that 2g!

Welcome! ,
Youv come to the right place ! , these cars are old so there isnt a question that hasnt been awnsered so use that search as much as you can! Theres upgrade paths for 2gs that might help you out! Or even tech articles that will make life so much easier! Hope you have as much fun with learning as ido enjoy that 2g!
Thank you for the advice. I'm a Corporate IT service desk agent and I do get some time at work so I'm going to dedicate some time to this site and some time to reading posts and threads. I just received my Cisco certification and the car was a gift to myself for a job well done. They are indeed old cars but they are still head turners. I love my GST, it's one of the best cars I've owned. My girlfriend wants one now so I have a feeling we'll both be a part of the the forum. Looking forward to great experience.

Welcome ! Like said you can not use the search button enough on here it's a valuable tool. Take your time, read, and do it right the first time and you will enjoy the car a ton more then if you take shortcuts :)

If you check our builds in our forum signatures you can see the kinds of things that people do. There's not a mod i've put on my car that isnt there for a good reason.
Thanks for the tip. I'm quickly learning how to navigate this forum. The build feature is a pretty neat feature and fast idea for other enthusiast to get an idea of the things that could be done. As soon as I get my build going I'm going to input my info as well and try to help out others. I'm so stoked for my new car and I have met so many nice people who are into DSM and have so much good input. On the other hand I met some who have not such nice things to say about them. In any case I believe it's based on opinion and dedication to your build. You get what you put in so I'm planning on going big on my street build.

Welcome to the DSM world. I'm 70 y/o, had mine for 20 years now. It's now my DD. Car has only let me down once, my fault though. Balance shaft belt broke and took out the head.

Been on the site almost from it's beginning. One thing I've noticed is that the DSM's that break are generally due to tuning. When you get your build started plan on the first purchase being a tuning system.

If you are only planning on 350HP, don't waste money on fancy internals. Stock components can handle up to about 500HP.

I would up grade the clutch though, seems like that's the first thing to go when you start adding power.

Good luck and enjoy your's as much as I have mine.

Welcome to the DSM world. I'm 70 y/o, had mine for 20 years now. It's now my DD. Car has only let me down once, my fault though. Balance shaft belt broke and took out the head.
Wow! That's truly inspiring. I have some good DSM guys locally who are very passionate and are giving me good advice and guidance. I plan on buying
Been on the site almost from it's beginning. One thing I've noticed is that the DSM's that break are generally due to tuning. When you get your build started plan on the first purchase being a tuning system.

If you are only planning on 350HP, don't waste money on fancy internals. Stock components can handle up to about 500HP.

I would up grade the clutch though, seems like that's the first thing to go when you start adding power.

Wow! That's very inspiring. I hope I last long with my car. I truly love everything about it. I have some great local DSM guys who are really passionate about these cars and are giving me advice but I'd like to know what other think as well which is why I joined the forum. They did emphasize the tuning as well. My plan is buy all my equipment and parts then take one long weekend and get it all done (including scheduling a tuning session at a local shop with a dyno). I'm thankful for people like yourself with a passion for these cars and your knowledge. I feared I would have to change internals. I've never owned any vehicle this powerful and I drive it with much care. I respect these cars as I respect their abilities and potential. My girlfriend is aboard and helping me reach my goals by assisting me in buying parts. She loves it too and wants one as soon as we're done with mine. She doesn't drive manual but always wants to take it out for a drive after work. We are thinking about an Evo but really love the DSM platform.

EVOs are great cars also. If you have any newb questions, feel free to PM me. This was my first turbo car and I've done all the mods with really no experience, so I think I may be able to help/
Thanks Andrew! I believe I'll take you up on that. I have a ton of questions, like how difficult was the build and how did you know what parts you required to accomplish your goals. I will definitely try to pm you when I get to a computer. My phone isn't the best right now. Lol. Takes long to message then go over it, proofread, edit then finally reply. Haha

Welcome and like everyone has said before research and have a plan, it will save you tons of money and time. Nice looking car as well!

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your comments and advice. I am abusing that search function so bad I should be banned, LOL. The car in my avatar is indeed my car. I'm not sure how to use this forum to wel bu eventually I'll have more pictures up soon. I been reading a lot into everyones projects, builds, and parts list and it has me so excited to start building my car. I know I have to be patient and wait for all my parts and tune. I just found out my car has a "blackbox" so that's going to be my form of tuning. Does anyone have any good pointers, do's and don'ts or anything when it comes to that? I'll be researching a bit more when I get home but I'm at work trying to stuff a sandwhich down my throat while I read up on injectors, resistance and some other stuff. So far it's been great being a part of this forum. Thanks for everything guys!

everyone seems to say that the suspension is the weak link with these older cars, i recently checked out my 96 and the boots and bushings look almost new, so im not sure if someone before me replaced them or not but id check yours out if you get time

everyone seems to say that the suspension is the weak link with these older cars, i recently checked out my 96 and the boots and bushings look almost new, so im not sure if someone before me replaced them or not but id check yours out if you get time
Thanks for the tip. The car was sold to me with new stock suspension, new brakes, rotors, brake lines, and what seems to be new tires. I still don't understand why the car was so cheap (Paid less than a swapped honda, Lol) but I don't want to know. The paperwork for the rebuilt head was available and so was the documentation for everything else done to it. It was really weird but I got it at a steal compared to what others sell out there in this condition. I'm grateful I found this thing in a small town in WI. Tower rust is starting and I'm looking to get that all taken care of soon. That's about the only drawback to this car. Motor runs healthy, passes emissions, runs so smooth it's currently my daily. Even at over 80MPH feels like I'm going way slower if not for all the cars I pass up I would've thought the speedometer was off. LOL. All in all a good car but I'm going to put it up in the air and look underneath it. Seems to good of a price to be true.

did you do a compression test? i'm not gonna ask what you paid cause it's not my business but where did you find it and where did you get it form.
I got the car up in Two Rivers Wisconsin. I haven't done a compression check. To be honest I don't even know how to go about doing one. I paid slightly above $2k At worst i thought if it was a engine I could get another next to nothing compared to not having the car. After the build I'm planning on getting another engine and building it for backup or just to replace the tired out engine in the car. I was glad it was running and running well. Has never given me a single problem.

Congrats bro I got my gst last week for 2500 n I also love it, good luck with build

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 94
two rivers huh. my wife's family is from there. don't recall ever seeing it on CL either. either way GL. ask a lot of questions. search your brains out on here or google. don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. that's where you start.

I would suggest an MHI Evo 3 16g or possibly an FP green turbo. With the evo 3 16g you can get away with stock injectors and a rewired 255 walbro pump. The rewire kit is $30 on stm. An FP green can hold a bit more power than that, but will definitely need injectors and most likely DSM Link V3 as there is a lot of support for this tuning route. Either way, DSM Link should be used for optimal performance.

just remember the FIRST upgrade that is essential is a FMIC so you dont have to worry about your stock SMIC not cooling the air efficiently enough on higher boost

just remember the FIRST upgrade that is essential is a FMIC so you dont have to worry about your stock SMIC not cooling the air efficiently enough on higher boost
I am picking up an intercooler locally. Seems decently priced at 250 being a bolt on and including all piping. I hope I can pick it up this week or next. Parts are starting to pile up in my home office, Lol. I have a few essential parts to buy before the build can start.

To be honest, the first piece of high performance part that I want to install on my car is a clutch. Making the power and tunnig should be easy but getting that power to the ground would require a good clutch. As soon as all my parts are in I'm going to try and have some friends over to help me change the clutch. I thought about taking it to a shop but last time I took a car to a "reputable" shop to change the clutch they broke more than they fixed, not to mention my speed sensor didn't work afterward. I been fixing my own cars for the past 6 years with help from mainly youtube. So far there's nothing that has been too big of a job for me. Sometimes I really do wish I had help and sometimes it takes me way longer than it should but I get it right. I see that people on this forum are eager to help so I'm a bit more confident going into this build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back