The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

First time drag racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMgurlie

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
Freeport_Pa
I went to the drag strip tonight (Pittsburgh Raceway) and I had a blast even though my times were really crappy. This was my first time drag racing. I need a lot of practice with launching and everything....Here are my crappy times...

1st run: Stalled LOL, got a 23.67 @ 90.5 mph

2nd run: really slow start, so I ended up with a 15.9 @ 93.9 mph

3rd run: Ok start but still slow, 15.4 @ 91.4

4th and final....Actually launched at 6k and held it, then managed to smoke the clutch pretty bad. I think i would have ended up with a decent time if that wouldn't have happened. That one ended up at 22.0 @ 58.59 the tach just kept flying up and i couldn't go any faster :mad:

Doesnt it suck when something goes bad on a run? You wait allll that time and something happens. Last time i went i finally got a 2.3 60' (i cant launch fwd), and i glanced at my boost guaged half way to see it pegged at 20+psi. I was like holy crap and let off..wasted! Turn out the MBC came hose came off the wastegate actuator..:) Hooray knock sensor!! saved my car!

How much boost are you running??

Try to lanuch between 5000-5500, I think 6000 is a little to high, but hey, whatever works.

You should be able to do mid to low 14's with those mods, a little more practise and you can get there.

keep on practicing

Originally posted by Vinnie
How much boost are you running??

Try to lanuch between 5000-5500, I think 6000 is a little to high, but hey, whatever works.

You should be able to do mid to low 14's with those mods, a little more practise and you can get there.

keep on practicing

I'm on stock boost (no boost controller) and yea I think 6k is a little too high as well, but I never practiced launching before so i just tried it...and I just revved it that high and managed to launch without bogging that time.

If i were you i would launch at 4,500rpm thats what i did my first launch at with my ACT 2100 clutch on stock boost and... to me it was pretty impressive.. although i missed 4th gear or it woulda been a good run :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back