The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

first time doing turbo swap need help???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurricanecris24

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
NORCAL, California
okay so i have decided today to put on my evo 3 turbo it has been sitting around for months cause i still have the stock fuel system. my question is what are the chances of getting boost creep?my o2 housing is ported and im gonna be using my stock downpipewith cat with a 3" cat back? and should i use a manual boost control or connect it to the wastegate for stock boost?

Last edited:
Can't really know what's going to creep or not. 3" cat back doesn't help you, ported O2 housing may. Do you still have fuel cut? You probably won't do any damage if you creep if you do. Depends on how high. I creep to 20 and have the injectors at 99% duty cycle : ( A MBC can only make your boost go up. Go straight from your boost source to the WG actuator for lowest possible boost.

The stock down pipe may help with the creep. I have a straight 3" turbo back with no cat or muffler, and i cant run less than 26 psi. So, i tune for 30.

I don't think you should creep much if you do at all. Just port the wastegate out if you are concerned. Harbor Freight has an electric die grinder for around $20. I have on of them and it's worked great each time I start it up.

The stock downpipe should be enough back pressure, but once you upgrade that, then you WILL creep for sure. Don't bother hooking up a boost controller, just run a vacuum line straight to the wastegate if you are running stock fuel.

when i took the turbo off the exhaust manifold there was this thing that came out. can i use the unported 2g manifold on the evo 3 turbo?

and i have another question should i put a nipple on the j pipe to connect it to the wastegate??

Attachments

• IMG00100-20100117-0308.jpg
    IMG00100-20100117-0308.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG00099-20100117-0236.jpg
    IMG00099-20100117-0236.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 260
Leave that little ring that fell out of the manifold in the "junk parts" pile. You don't need it. If anything, you will increase your flow. And yes, you should put that nipple on the j-pipe because that will be your boost pressure source for your WG and eventually your MBC. Weld it on so it doesn't leak.

Be very careful and make sure you keep the boost low if you are on a completely stock fuel system. You do not want to hit fuel cut. FYI 18psi on a t-25 is just about the equivalent air-flow of a 16g at 12psi.

Yep im welding my nipple on the j pipe as well, dont want any leaks, good luck with your project.

You are fine running stock wastegate pressure on the 16g. Don't go more than 14psi though withough upgrading the fuel system.

that looks cross threaded to me...

i got the car running i checked to see if anything is leaking everything was good so i took it for it spin. when stepping on the gas pedal half way i dont hear my turbo building boost at all but when i step on it it shows 10 pounds only all the way? is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG00109-20100122-0910.jpg
    IMG00109-20100122-0910.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 144
What do you mean "when i step on it it shows 10 pounds only all the way?" is that like 100% throttle it only builds 10psi? At 50% throttle I dont think you will build boost maybe just up to 0-2psi something like that, so you probably wouldn't hear it. I thought that the stock wastegate was around 12psi for a 16g... 10Lbs seems possible considering all the variables with cars and shiz. GL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back