The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

First time at Watkins Glen

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19gsx91

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Walworth, New_York
Hey guys, I got invited to go down with a subaru group to opening day at watkins glen, we actually met up with a much larger group heading down the Little speed shop in rochester, but for anyone in the area that was curious about it It cost $25 bucks for 3 paced (I'm using that term loosely.. I hit 95 on the straightaway) laps around watkins glen and if you want another 3 laps its just another 25 bucks. Overall the experience was about the same as any drag strip i've been to, a lot of waiting for a bit of racing but it's worth it in the end.

For anyone who doesn't know they take pictures of your car hitting certain corners and you can grab a flash drive of them for about 20 bucks.

There were over 400 cars there and not a single 2g eclipse and I was the only 1g and half the guys didn't know what it was :rolleyes:

But a mild 1g on kybagxs and stock springs took some of those corners like a champ! my turbo lag killed me coming out of the corners (I didn't want to ream on the car completely) but man was it fun. :dsm:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun! You may want to look into an open track day. There, you won't be limited to a pace car. If that interests you, I can give you a few pointers for your first one.

I love seeing people out enjoying their DSMs. Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome!! I'm about 1.5 hours from there (I'm in Syracuse) and have always wanted to hit that track. There aren't many road race tracks in this area, that's the closest. Do they do that multiple times a year?? I tried looking into HPDE events there but haven't found much info.

That's awesome!! I'm about 1.5 hours from there (I'm in Syracuse) and have always wanted to hit that track. There aren't many road race tracks in this area, that's the closest. Do they do that multiple times a year?? I tried looking into HPDE events there but haven't found much info.

You may want to check out some local enthusiast clubs. In my area, I have joined in with an Alfa Romeo club, Corvette club, BMW club, and 3 Balls Racing. SCCA may also host some events as well.

I honestly had no idea it was going on until my cousin invited me, he's part owner of a local subaru website and was riding down in his friends 460awhp STI, getting to follow that thing on back country roads was a treat! Honestly if I had known there were any real DSM guys local I would of asked, it would be nice to see some familiar cars and being able to put faces to screennames. The closest thing to a 1g was a 91 dodge spirit RT! I couldn't believe that was even there, all original.

AFAIK They have events like that periodically, I was just surprised it was only 25 bucks to be able to do 3 laps, you cant pass anybody but you've still got room to play, I would definitely do it again once I get the stumble figured out. If I get invited to go again I'll post the date and info up on here for anyone whose local that might be interested in going!

2g, I'd defintely be interested in any information or tips anyone has to offer, I was doing pretty poorly my first lap, but that's mostly because I was told there was a 55mph speed limit and you had to stay within 2 car lengths of each other at all times... needless to say once we did a lap and I realized I was the only one following the "rules" ...I let the GSX breath a little more deeply :dsm:

Doing a quick search, the link below has numerous events at Watkins Glen:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/?q=watkins+glen&continentCode=NA&radius=180&zip=

I would suggest registering for an account there.

I think you would have more fun attending an open track day. Here, they typically split participants into groups based on car and experience. Check out the information about the event to see if they offer an instructor for the day for novice groups. I would HIGHLY suggest you take advantage of this! You will have a much better experience if you do. At these types of events, you will typically run a 10-20 minute session that is not limited to a pace car. If you decide to participate in one, I would be happy to share what types of things you will want to do before the event, during, and after the event.

I've hit that track a number of times with my 1G. I run with NASA northeast and it's typically 250 bucks for 4 20 minute sessions. First time out you will be with an instructor but it is a total blast! Good to see another 1g on a road course.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back