The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

first time at track with FWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwdeclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2005
salt lake city, Utah
WOW,that is all I can say.I am pretty dissapointed,after all the modding in the winter months I came up with a [email protected] I launched i thought my world was ending because of the wheel hop.I spun through first and second and then bogged into third.This sucks I guess I need some motor mounts and some slicks.My 60ft time was 2.6 which is horrible.Two years ago I had a AWD and it was easy.Oh well this is what makes FWD a challenge.

i have some other mods than you and i ran a 14.7@ 98 with a 2.5 60 ft my first time @ the track....this was shifting @ a horrible 4500-5000...and only 10 psi 1st and 2nd-3rd hit about 15 and then back to 10 in 4th and 5th....i was a little nervous first time and i was running an 11 second turbo fox body

Yeah throttle control will definetaly be part of my technique next time I run.I would have run faster im sure but I had wheel hop so bad my steering wheel fell into my lap and my windsheild wipers turned on.So it was pretty much chaos.My AWD was so easy to race its crazy.I just bought some motor mounts today and will be getting slicks soon.Like canadian said I think alot of its in the throttle control.

Yeah... FWD is definetaly a challenge, specially once its been modified.

Now, your trapping 104mph, i'd say, lower your front tires air pressure to about 20psi or lower depending on your size, or if you have aftermarket low profile tires try your stock size wheels/tires they do better, play with the throttle, and in a good day you could see high 13's with a good launch if you could get a 2.0~2.1 60ft... its really not an easy thing to achieve, but its definetaly possible with a good lauch.

ivanr4g63 said:
Yeah... FWD is definetaly a challenge, specially once its been modified.

Now, your trapping 104mph, i'd say, lower your front tires air pressure to about 20psi or lower depending on your size, or if you have aftermarket low profile tires try your stock size wheels/tires they do better, play with the throttle, and in a good day you could see high 13's with a good launch if you could get a 2.0~2.1 60ft... its really not an easy thing to achieve, but its definetaly possible with a good lauch.

Im running stock size tires,but there toyo proxe t1r.I Think with my setup I should beable to run lower 13s,with a good run that is.I did a log and Im flowing 38lbs/min.I hope when I get some motor mounts,slicks and learn to drive better I can hit 12s.Hell I ran a 13.8 with my AWD and all I had was a 14b,exhaust,uicp,fuel pump.

fwdeclipse said:
when I get some motor mounts,slicks and learn to drive better I can hit 12s.QUOTE]

Yeah, very true... But I still believe that with a good launch even with those radials you have lower your pressure, and try different rpm launch points, and you should be able to achieve a high 13's... maybe some weight reduction could help.

Hey good luck nevertheless, these FWD cars sure are fun on the highway, but when it comes to get a good time in the 1/4 mile its some task...

ivanr4g63 said:
fwdeclipse said:
when I get some motor mounts,slicks and learn to drive better I can hit 12s.QUOTE]

Yeah, very true... But I still believe that with a good launch even with those radials you have lower your pressure, and try different rpm launch points, and you should be able to achieve a high 13's... maybe some weight reduction could help.

Hey good luck nevertheless, these FWD cars sure are fun on the highway, but when it comes to get a good time in the 1/4 mile its some task...

Yeah I think your right.Since I wont have slicks for awhile hopefully I can cut that time way down with some more experience.Thanks for the input.

104? You should easy hit 13s. I ran a 14.8 at 97mph and that was on a terrible launch. That was with bad struts, a front motor mount, and like 25psi in my stock tires.

phillabaum03 said:
104? You should easy hit 13s. I ran a 14.8 at 97mph and that was on a terrible launch. That was with bad struts, a front motor mount, and like 25psi in my stock tires.

I also had 25psi in my tires,I did not wanna try any lower but next time I will.I really need a two stage boost controller because I was runnin 24psi and my traction was zero until 3rd gear.Once again throttle control that I obviously did not have.

fwdeclipse said:
I also had 25psi in my tires,I did not wanna try any lower but next time I will.I really need a two stage boost controller because I was runnin 24psi and my traction was zero until 3rd gear.Once again throttle control that I obviously did not have.
I feel your pain man. I did a 15.0 @108 with a 2.6 60'. I will be in the market for some new mounts.
Which brand mounts do you guys suggest?

I also had my BFG KD's at 31psi... not so good for a good launch, LOL. But even wheel hopping through 1st, waiting about a second to go into 2nd and 3rd, I think a 108 is impressive. I am going to shoot for 110 with just better driving.

Good Luck though... When are the axels and diff's in danger here with FWD?

RedRex02 said:
I feel your pain man. I did a 15.0 @108 with a 2.6 60'. I will be in the market for some new mounts.
Which brand mounts do you guys suggest?

I also had my BFG KD's at 31psi... not so good for a good launch, LOL. But even wheel hopping through 1st, waiting about a second to go into 2nd and 3rd, I think a 108 is impressive. I am going to shoot for 110 with just better driving.

Good Luck though... When are the axels and diff's in danger here with FWD?

I know its kind of depressing knowing you have power to run low 13s high 12s and you run freakin 15s.I bought some prothane brand off ebay for 65bucks or something like that.Cant wait to see the difference with them in.

fwdeclipse said:
I know its kind of depressing knowing you have power to run low 13s high 12s and you run freakin 15s.I bought some prothane brand off ebay for 65bucks or something like that.Cant wait to see the difference with them in.
To be honest, I bought this car knowing I would have my fun on the highway. I recall how easy it was launching my WRX or LS1, big difference. I bought this car for my daily driver, and did the mods accordingly. Notice I skipped ALL suspension mods knwoing it would take so much to equal my WRX or LS1 outta the hole.

Prothane sounds like the right choice for most DSM'ers

Also I used a calculator to correct et and traps according to yor 60'... Mine came out to a 13.6 at 111. Considering my SLOOOOW shifting, I could ###### hit a 12.8X @ 112-113 considering traction was not an issue... Kinda is sad put that way but it is fun on the highway for sure!

RedRex02 said:
Also I used a calculator to correct et and traps according to yor 60'... Mine came out to a 13.6 at 111. Considering my SLOOOOW shifting, I could ###### hit a 12.8X @ 112-113 considering traction was not an issue... Kinda is sad put that way but it is fun on the highway for sure!

Yeah its total bull####.That is why I will be purchasing slicks in the near future.

Well, last night a few buddies and myself went to the track. I have a exhaust leak before and after my turbo and its pretty bad. I launched fairly decently, hit about 23 psi and got a 14.5 @ 105 mph. I was a little disappointed too with my time but I guess that exhaust leak is killing me! Keep your chin up and if you get your launch down, everything else will just fall into place. I have the Tein basic coilovers and the motor mounts and it DEFINATELY helps. My next step is an LSD, and not just the insert.

I went back to the track again with my new mounts and I grendaded my front diff.:cry:.Im orderd a karking lsd so hopefully tha wont break again.The motor mounts did not help enough cause I still wheel hopped and broke the shit out of it.I did get one run in and still sucked 15.0@106 I will also be buying slicks before I go back.

Should of just filled your motor mounts and stuffed cuttingboard in them. Much cheaper and for me It got rid of wheel hop. I ran a 14.1 at 102 with a 2.4 60' theres a vid of my run in my pro if you wanna check it out. I did bog the launch though but the wheel spin still showed its face. Clutch also slipped into 3rd and 4th so I think I could of trapt higher. any ways good luck with your car.

Slicks alone helped me very much last year. Without slicks the car ran a best of 14.1@105, on the same tune with slicks it went 13.0@110. I'll be shooting for mid 12's this weekend (new setup).

im also fwd and looking to run at the track very soon, and my car has no traction ### so ever on street tires, i have good slicks though so i cant wait, but when you lay into my 500whp fwd car on the highway that thing waves bye bye to all those 550hp all wheel dsm's like it is its job! just heat the tires up a little so when it hits 30~32psi of boost it doesnt lay posi in 3rd.

hey guys just the thead I'm looking for, I ran for the first time friday 14.33 @97 mph in a fwd, I missed 4th that hurt my trap speed, I also ran a 14.47 @ 102mph and I thought my launch was terrable I don't have very many mods and every car I went up against was 1 1/2 lenths in front of me about 1/2 way to the 1/8th by the end of the race I was in front. I can the the line VERY SLOW so that I did not roast the tires. 17psi fading to 14 after 4500 rpm(off subject why does my car do this?) Hey I did beat the 06 mustang gt every time!!!!

this is how slow I come off the line:cry: , thats a stock honda playlud
edit: I took this race by 3-4 car lenths he ran a 15.8

Attachments

• race.jpg
    race.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 268
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back