The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

First ProSolo win for TRE and Doug's Automotive !

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACM

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2002
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Doug has been working his @$$ off putting my autocross car together since I'm too stupid to do it at the moment. There's been numerous problems getting the car together - the usual problems when one accumulates a large pile of random parts and then expect them to bolt together seamlessly onto a car they were never intended for. But nothing Doug couldn't find his way around :)

After a couple of shakedown events, Sam Krauss and I headed out for the Washington DC ProSolo this last weekend. First Pro of the season, and first for me in quite a long time, we went simply to see how we and the car shaped up to the competition. Competition comprises primarily of the various decades of the different pony cars, plus most of the WRXs except the recent 2.5 with the big turbo, which competes alongside the Sti.

ProSolos have two mirror image 30-35 second long autocross courses, 1 car each course, with drag strip lights to launch. Rapid succession, 2 runs each side morning and afternoon session, one session on Sunday.

My goal was not to finish last, pure and simple - see if I can learn to drive again. Sam on the other hand finished 2nd in the country in my car in 2010, so he's hoping to move that one little step forward :) We would have been back out last year for that task, but events conspired against me.

The end result of the event was that I didn't finish last, rather made it up into mid-pack, which I was pretty happy with given I couldn't "see" the left course -just couldn't find it...Right side was fine, but left ? Nope, not a clue...

We got through to Sunday, Sam ran first and pulled out a pair of times that nobody else got close to - he ended up 0.975 seconds ahead of second place. I went out after Sam, put in a decent time on the right course, I lined up for my first run on the left course, launched decently and BAM - instant redline and no drive.

My big fear was punching a hole through the trans and dumping half a gallon of of oil on the course, so I got off the racing line and out of the way as quickly as I could. I idled into the pits, stopped and looked back and I didn't see any oil anywhere - big sigh of relief ! I've been really bad about the TRE trans - it should have gone back to be checked out ages ago, but it keeps on working and shifting perfectly, so more pressing matters always keep getting in the way. Strictly speaking we could have been protested for leaving grid, but everyone was fine about it thankfully. It became obvious later on that a rear driveshaft (left, most likely) had broken. Always something...

Again - many thanks to Doug & TRE !

Sometimes the planets align and sometimes the planetary kills you. tee hee

Congrats to both of you.

- Jt

Oh yes - if anyone has any non-LSD rear ABS axles they're not using at the moment, please send them my way !

Thanks,
Charles

Turns out I sheared the left axle shaft off at the root of the inboard splines...

I've heard of this happening to people with honking great motors/turbos - but on my piddly little T25-equipped stock motor ?? I make what, 250 tops on a winter's morning, probably closer to 150 on a 90*/90% humidity summer day ?

I guess Princess Scruffy just grew some :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Scruffy? Aren't you one of the people that gave me crap for naming my car Cinder?

Since my F350's name is alternately Great Aunt Gertrude and Moby Dick, I hardly think I'm in a position to throw stones at your glass house :)

Princess Scruffy? Aren't you one of the people that gave me crap for naming my car Cinder?

Well, I have Nicknamed Charles car "The Crow", because it helps guide automotive parts to the afterlife, and it's black (sort of).

For anyone interested in video from the Pro, my Sunday AM runs are up on YouTube:
2012 DC Pro Sun AM.wmv - YouTube

And my "Autocross Sister" Karen posted my 3rd round loss in the Challenge (by a tenth of a second to the eventual Challenge winner):
2012 DC ProSolo : Sam Krauss vs. Michael Fineberg Challenge Round - YouTube (of course a 4G63T wins it all).

Samuel Krauss
08 Expedition (TSP)
04 S4 (STU)
98 Talon (SM?)
95 Talon (STX)

thanks, what wrx is that? It looks to accelerate much faster.

2006 WRX - 2.5l with the small turbo.

What Charles said, plus the owner claims 250WHP/330WTQ (on 93). Not sure what kind of dyno. Powerwise it didn't feel that much faster than Charles car, definitely doesn't SOUND as fast as Charles car. Plus Charles car handles better, the WRX just felt kind of numb.
I was told the clutch was slipping, and while I didn't really feel it, I was getting no wheel spin off the line.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back