The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got my car going, and working on getting it dialed in. MrPeepers helped me getting the injectors scaled, MAF scaled... The car has no rear O2, Emissions stuff is gone, 6 bolt swap, it's a 1995 GSX with a 99 ECU. I installed the flash plug. The issue I'm having is when I turn off the perphery bits for the emissions and O2 sensors... the car will fire up, then die right away. I'm also getting a misfire that makes the car sputter really bad sometimes. And I had to replace the knock sensor so now I am getting knock on decel, when the car is in vacuum... about 8-9 counts. I tried not tightening the sensor too much but I think tomorrow I'm going to buy a socket and cut a clot in it and make sure my torque is dead on with the knock sensor. But does anyone have any idea why the car won't stay running when I turn off things in the periphery bits?

thanks but now when I try to adjust latency the window that oppens up says d= not d=d+ as shown in the link you sent me.

Edit I figured out how to adjust latency.

Pretty sure this is phantom knock. Anyone have any ideas on getting rid of it...? Brand new knock sensor, tried a used one and it did the same thing.

Attachments

• EvoScanDataLog_2011.11.21_19.04.41.csv
    12.3 KB · Views: 100
  • EvoScanDataLog_2011.11.21_19.05.29 decel log.csv
    12.1 KB · Views: 70
Do Ceddymods include RPM control to trigger the Fuel Pressure solenoid on/off?
I found a vacuum canister installed on a Daewoo at the scrapyard that had a dual runner intake manifold plumbed with a solenoid and I want to use it on my Cyclone intake manifold and FPS

sorry for the noob question, I couldnt find anyone running a Cyclone with a flashable ECU

Can I delete all my emission stuff out of my 99 and turn the codes off with ceddymods? I thought I read that somewhere but I'd like to confirm it before I start ripping stuff out. Thanks

Can I delete all my emission stuff out of my 99 and turn the codes off with ceddymods? I thought I read that somewhere but I'd like to confirm it before I start ripping stuff out. Thanks

Kinda. You cannot shut off your EGR or Force Pass Inspection but you can delete the codes from the system. However if you do that, your car will enter "Test Not Ready" mode which is an Instant Fail at emissions places. If you don't have to do emissions tests where you live then no problem.

The ECU itself has the ability to do everything that the Evo8 can like Disabling the EGR system and FPI and much more, But Ceddy gave up on the H8 for Evo 6's. Dunno why, there is no need for Evo6's. If I knew how to figure out the definitions and how to program it, I would help out with the H8 guys and take over what Ceddy has done. But I don't know how the definitions work. IF someone would take some time I'd be willing to help out.

But I ended up going with the Evo8 because of the support it has. And I need to pass emissions in my state and it has the ability to force it to pass.

I'd have to look at that patch. Haven't seen this before. However I don't get it. It says "it can only be done on a 95"... How? The Force Emissions Inspection wont work on a Pre OBD2 car if the car isn't running right. So it is useless to try it if your car already wont pass. Because Pre OBD2 cars must have a visual and a sniffer. OBD2 cars, the ECU tells the testing computer if the car passes or fails, hence the force emissions pass. It forces the ECU to tell the testing computer, it passes. Not to run flawless for a test.

But if it works, it works. I wouldn't trust it unless its directly built into the rom like the TephraMod Roms.... I'm using that and it works like a dream.

It's a legal thing. Modifying the ROM on a 96+ car in order to bypass any required emissions testing is not exactly kosher and could get you in heaps of legal trouble if you're caught. If you use the ROM and definition in the zip file linked to in the first post of that thread you'll see a table in ECUFlash which illegally allows you to set the readiness monitors to always pass, unless your car is pre-OBD2 -ie older than 1996 model year.

LOL are you serious. How you expecting to get into trouble? The only information the ECU gives the testing computers is "Pass, Fail, and Test Not Ready". Nothing else. It doesn't start flashing an error code claiming the ECU has been tampered with. There is not even a 1% chance a single person could get into trouble for it because no place has the ability to figure out if things are tampered with.

Hell I even told my emissions guy I made programmed my car to pass emissions and he asked me if I could do it to his Camaro.

Stock Tephra Mod V7 Rom (Evo8 ECU):
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not set to force pass.

IF that patch is legit, wish it was out when I was still running an H8. But its whatever.... I sold my Tuned H8 for 200 bucks and a trade for a stock H8 and then bought a Evo8. The things on the Tephra Rom is outsanding and kinda intimidating. Its soo nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a representative of this site it is important for me to not condone an illegal act.
My actual feelings in this instance don't match well with that responsibility.

I ran an '03 Evo 8 ECU (and eventually a 9653 Tephra V5 ROM) for almost 2 years on my '97 TSi AWD that was totaled back in 2009. I still have that ECU sitting in a box around here somewhere. The Evo 8-9 ECU is much better supported, is faster, more flexible, has patches for live maps, uses the cheaper and faster 1.3 cable and when properly patched allows datalogging speeds that make the DSM ECU look downright primitive. But there are some minor work-around problems in adapting it to a DSM like controlling non-PWM cooling fans, different MAS scaling and the different knock sensor logic to name a few, and some people might not ever figure that stuff out on their own. Also, it seems not many of us are willing to buy and wire a patch harness (what I did) or re-pin the stock ECU harness to correct the pinout for the Evo ECUs.

A lot of the guys who were running Evo 8-9 ECUs when I was have switched over to Ceddy's stuff. From what I understand, and have played around with in ECUFlash his DSM stuff is a little bit simpler to use.

As a representative of this site it is important for me to not condone an illegal act.
My actual feelings in this instance don't match well with that responsibility.

I ran an '03 Evo 8 ECU (and eventually a 9653 Tephra V5 ROM) for almost 2 years on my '97 TSi AWD that was totaled back in 2009. I still have that ECU sitting in a box around here somewhere. The Evo 8-9 ECU is much better supported, is faster, more flexible, has patches for live maps, uses the cheaper and faster 1.3 cable and when properly patched allows datalogging speeds that make the DSM ECU look downright primitive. But there are some minor work-around problems in adapting it to a DSM like controlling non-PWM cooling fans, different MAS scaling and the different knock sensor logic to name a few, and some people might not ever figure that stuff out on their own. Also, it seems not many of us are willing to buy and wire a patch harness (what I did) or re-pin the stock ECU harness to correct the pinout for the Evo ECUs.

A lot of the guys who were running Evo 8-9 ECUs when I was have switched over to Ceddy's stuff. From what I understand, and have played around with in ECUFlash his DSM stuff is a little bit simpler to use.

If you'd want to get rid of the 8 ecu I might take it off your hands ;) I'm rocking the flashable right now and still love it, would like to see how the 8 is though.

If Ceddy doesn't come back, I'm not entirely sure how much longer I'll recommend the 98/99 over the Evo 8 for 2g's.

He hasn't been on geekmapped since 8-17-11, here since 10-7-11, and EvolutionM since 10-27-11.

I'm trying to get a hold of him now to see if he ever has plans to get in touch with the community again.

Didn't really read through the whole obd2 readiness argument there, but just to clarify the Evo guys were having troubles in some states with updated scanners that can read readiness patches and show it's been tampered. I'd have to look to find a few of the threads as it's been almost a year since I've been on EvoM, but there were a few instances.

I just picked up a 98 AWD TSi and wanted to go with ECUflash/EvoScan and am wondering if it is still worth it?

I am well versed with V3 of link as that is what I ran on my 1g and was also running SD.

I do not mind trying a new tuning method but if the support is not there Then I would just go with Link.

I just picked up a 98 AWD TSi and wanted to go with ECUflash/EvoScan and am wondering if it is still worth it?

I am well versed with V3 of link as that is what I ran on my 1g and was also running SD.

I do not mind trying a new tuning method but if the support is not there Then I would just go with Link.

There's support, probably more in this whole thread for most if not all of what you want to do.

There's support, probably more in this whole thread for most if not all of what you want to do.

That's what I was wondering the most. I have Link for a 2g already but also can go the opensource way.

I connected up to the car today with ecuflash and it connected right up.

That's what I was wondering the most. I have Link for a 2g already but also can go the opensource way.

I connected up to the car today with ecuflash and it connected right up.

Yea man if you have link already I'd stick with it. I've been using ecuflash on my ecu for sometime now and it gets the job done but there's limited support (literally just this thread) and options. It's nice though for what it is, I have anti-lag, fan speeds, rev limiters, knock on CEL and such set up which IS very nice. I'm just saying I myself would rather use Link if I already had it, there's more stuff you can do, and more people are familiar with it. Plus there's plenty of windows driver issues I have encountered just getting it connected.

How is the driveability on sd? Anybody having any issues or bugs with it? I'd like to switch but worried do to the lack of support. Any hidden cost besides the sensors and connectors?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back