The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceddy

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2006
Reading, Pennsylvania
Just got my OpenPort 2.0 cable.

Went to test it out, and it works on my 98 ECU!

Think I'm the first person ever to flash a DSM ECU.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

98/99 DSM ECU Flash FAQ

Capabilities:

EcuFlash allows you to edit all the factory maps.
In addition, the 98/99 map axis can be rescaled. This means if the factory fuel map had a max of 7000 RPM, you can rescale the RPM axis to go up 10000 RPM.

Some of the maps I have found so far are:
High and Low Octane Ignition Maps.
High and Low Octane Fuel Maps.
MAF Size, Scaling, Smoothing and Filtering.
Injector Size and Latency(DeadTime).
RevLimit and Idle Speed.
Boost Limit(Fuel Cut) and Boost Cut Delay.

The 98/99 ECUs also have many features that are turned off that can be enabled.

Some more interesting ones are:
Full Time Open Loop - The Front O2 Sensor is disabled, and Fuel Map Lookup is used all the time.
Lean Spool - The EVOs have had this for a while. An additional Fuel Map is used while the turbo is spooling, this can help spool time.

Limitations:

The ECU has a Load Limit that is MAF dependant, an EVO MAF will make the limit 380, a 2G MAF will make it 310. (This can be bypassed once it is found in the code)
Load is a measurement of AirFlow/Rev. You can use the formula Load x RPM / 43130 = lb/min, to get a easier to understand unit.
380 Load at 7500 RPMs gives a max airflow of 66 lb/min.
310 Load at 7500 RPMs gives a max airflow of 54 ib/min.
There is also an Injector PulseWidth Cap, its tied into the Load calculation.

The 2G DSM MAF Maxes out around 50 lb/min.
A EVO/3G MAF Maxes out at 66 lb/min.

The 98/99 ECUs may not handle the 95/96 Inverted CAS and Crank Trigger Setup well.
The Evo5/6 guys have reported the Black Cap 1G CAS works best when doing swaps.

Hardware and Software:

To Flash the 98/99 H8 ECUs you need the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable. -> tactrix
$169-189

You will also need the EcuFlash software which is free. -> Main Page - OpenECU
Free

As of now the only Logging software that works with the OP2.0 is EvoScan. -> EvoScan OBDII Mitsubishi MUTII DataLogger Scantool
$25

New -> MUT Monitor now supports the OP 2.0 cable, its still under development, but its free. -> Mut Monitor Version 2.0 Released 12/04/2009 - MyRollingRoad & South West Mitsubishi EVO Forums
Free

ECUs:

These are DSM ECUs that are Flashable.
1998 -> 7/97-5/98 MD346675(FWD) and MD346676(AWD)
1999 -> 6/98-4/99 MD359402(FWD) and MD359403(AWD)

EcuFlash to DSM Dictionary:

Injector Latency = Injector DeadTime
Boost Cut = Fuel Cut
Load = AirFlow/Rev, More similar to Torque than Horse Power. Will peak early and lessen as RPMs increase.

How to Tune with EcuFlash for Beginners:

You need a minimum of a WideBand and a Logger.
Wiring in a 3 or 5 Bar MAP Sensor is very useful also.

Everyone tunes a little differently, I like to get my WideBand reading to match the Fuel Maps AFR exactly.
This makes things easier later on, and you will know precisely what changes to a Map will do.

1) Get your Injectors Dialed in.
Originally posted by l2r99gst on evom:
1. Choose an injector scaling number
2. Log trims at idle and cruise.
3. If trims are roughly the same, but positive, then you need to lower your injector scaling number.
4. If both trims are roughly the same, but negative, then you need to raise your injector scaling number.
5. If idle trim is more positive than cruise trim, then you need to increase the latency value.
6. If the idle trim is less positive than the cruise trim, you need to decrease the latency value.

Note: After #5 or #6, you may need to readjust #1 accordingly.

2) Rescale your MAF.
Check Out ->
How-To: Rescale your MAF (without pics) - evolutionm.net

3) Raise or Disable Fuel Cut.
Boost Cut Delay Timer is the amount of time you must be above Boost Limit before Fuel Cut kicks in.
An easy way to remove Fuel Cut is to raise the Timer to its max value of 1,638,375 mS.

It is also a good idea to use Fuel Cut as a safety feature, so you won't over run your injectors or exceed the limits of your engine internals.
To do this simply raise Boost Limit to the max your car can handle.

4) Rescale your Fuel and Timing Map Axises

I'll add more info here...
Tuning Guide is not finished...

ROM Files and Definitions:

*7/1/09 - Changed naming scheme to follow the EVOs,
first four digits are Rom Name, second four are Revision Number.

*7/3/09 - Added many maps and fixed axises, up to 48 maps now.
Changed MAF Table Units to Karmen Hz for easy scaling.

Fixed incorrect axis on Fuel Maps.
Maps with * preceding have had there axises confirmed in disassembly.

*7/10/09 - Added DEFs for 20550010 and 20560010.

*7/17/09 - Major Update 20+ maps added, Knock Control, etc.

XML files need to go in -> C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi\eclipse

(Right Click and Save As)

98 GST - EM2055
ROM -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550010.bin
DEF -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550010.xml <-Updated 7/17/09

ROM -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550011.bin <-Most Updated ROM
DEF -> http://ceddy.us/flash/20550011.xml <-Updated 7/17/09

* For the sake of simplicity the 20550011 DEF will also include CeddyMod and Speed Density DEFs. Only use the CeddyMod or Speed Density options with the appropriate ROM.

98 GSX - EM2056

99 GSX - EM2364
* These Definitions are not complete, and some items may be incorrect. Use at your own risk.

Utilities:

ROM-ID by MadMan -> http://ceddy.us/flash/ROMID.rar
Will display the ROM Id and Revision of unknown ROMs.

Adding a Flash Connector to a 95-97:

On 95-97s you must add a pin at position 79 of your ECU Harness.
This must be connected to the 2.5mm phono plug on your OpenPort 2.0 cable.
It must be connected to the tip of your phono plug.

ECU Harness Pins:
The EVO guys have reported these are the correct pins -> TYCO ELECTRONICS / AMP|175265-1|Contact | Newark.com

I have a few extra -> Ceddy's DSM EcuFlash Page

Miscellaneous Info:

Injector Flow and Latency
If you get flow values from a DSM site you should use the scaling "InjectorScalingDSM"
If from a EVO site use "InjectorScaling" in the Injector Scaling - Edit Map Menu.

For example an EVO site will give the flow of stock 450s as 424cc, but DSM sites say 450cc.
The EVO guys have a wrong conversion, but they have used it for so long everyone is use to it.
Another example is they give the Evo8 560s flow as 513cc.

Injector Brand ------ Flow cc/min -------------- mS

1G/2G ------------------- 450 ------------------ 0

Clinic 750 -------------- 750 ------------------ .330
Clinic 850 -------------- 850 ------------------ .330
Clinic 950 -------------- 950 ------------------ .330

Delphi 680 -------------- 680 ------------------ .210

Denso 660 --------------- 660 ------------------ .180
Denso 720 --------------- 720 ------------------ .405 - .450

FIC 650 ----------------- 650 ------------------ .210
FIC 750 ----------------- 750 ------------------ .315 - .330
FIC 850 ----------------- 850 ------------------ .315 - .330
FIC 950 ----------------- 950 ------------------ .315 - .330

Hahn RC 625 ------------- 530 ------------------ .180

ND 560(Evo8) ------------ 560 ------------------ -.048
ND 660 ------------------ 660 ------------------ .180

PTE 580 ----------------- 535 ------------------ .180
PTE 680 ----------------- 640 ------------------ .288 - .300
PTE 780 ----------------- 748 ------------------ .300 - .315
PTE 880 ----------------- 840 ------------------ .420
PTE 1000 ---------------- 940 ------------------ ???

RC 550 ------------------ 550 ------------------ .180

Using a EVO MAF
If the 2G's MAF 50 lb/min of flow isn't enough, you can upgrade to the EVO's 66 lb/min MAF.

The EVO and 3G MAF are effectively the same unit, so either can be used.

EVO Part Number = ???????
3G Part Number = ????????

The following changes will be needed. (2G on Left, EVO on Right)

First you will need to change the MAF Scaling Table. You can copy the values over by hand. Or you can open an Evo8 ROM and copy and paste them.

Second you need to change MAF Size from 286.0 to 357.5

Third you will need to change MAF Adder from 64 to 140.

All done! The EVO MAF should be good up to 675 HP, and people have pushed it further.

(If you are copying values from an Evo8, be aware that some have the MAF scaling set to AirFlow8 and some UInt8.
This will display different values in the MAF Tables. Make sure the scaling is set to AirFlow8 to match the DSM DEF.)

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET!!!!... Whats going on with MHI logger man. Havent heard anything on that in a while... This is getting very interesting very fast!!! Good stuff man..

Think I'm the first person ever to flash a DSM ECU.
Only via OBD2 without programmer :p

But it's great news! :applause:

EDIT: Did you tried to flash the same ROM (EMxxxx) image you had on your ECU or the one you've been working on?

Only via OBD2 without programmer :p
I don't know of anyone who JTAGed a DSM ECU. They did it to the EVO H8 ecu a while ago, but don't think anyone JTAGed a DSM.

I'm just glad it works.

EDIT: Did you tried to flash the same ROM (EMxxxx) image you had on your ECU or the one you've been working on?

I use the image from my ecu, I'm not sure if the 98 and 99 ecus are exactly the same and if images can be swapped between them.

IIRC 380 is the same load limitation in the evo ecus. There is a patch for them which doubles this but most people will never near 66lbs/min.

I might have said this before but besides air/fuel/timing changes I think the biggest thing is the built in EBC that we've been neglecting forever because we can't control it. Now every DSM should be able to adjust boost without buying an MBC. The stock bcs might suck but we'll have to find out and if so then there is always the GM 3 port.

So how'd you get it to flash? Did you need an external power source?
Or have you discovered that with an OpenPort2.0 cable that everything is easy as pie?

Thank you so much for working on this. The future of the DSM community just got a whole lot brighter.

So how'd you get it to flash? Did you need an external power source?
Or have you discovered that with an OpenPort2.0 cable that everything is easy as pie?

Thank you so much for working on this. The future of the DSM community just got a whole lot brighter.

The OpenPort 2.0 cable is plug and play, just hit the "Write to ECU" button.

There isn't any DSM definitions in EcuFlash 1.41, so you have to write your own.
Its not that hard to find maps, the 98/99 and Evo5/6 definitions are very similar.

Now every DSM should be able to adjust boost without buying an MBC. The stock bcs might suck but we'll have to find out and if so then there is always the GM 3 port.

I have a table in my ecu file to control the boost via a "duty cycle" table. This controls the pulses to the bcs. I have not messed with it too much. The stock bcs does not have the capability to control much more than 14psi. The FPR solenoid is a little more capable of the task but I don't think its capable of much more.
You can purchase a boost solenoid like the one for AEM, which can work for plenty of boost.
You can also set this up to help spoolup by keeping the solenoid closed during low rpms!
Once I have the rest of my mods bolted up, I will most likely play with it some more.

This is a big advancement for 98-99 dsms.
Way to go ceddy:thumb:

It would be interesting to understand what those numbers mean. Someone posted an EM-2056, it's quite possible they are both 98 ROMs.

Did you had that "-0011" tail added to your ROM number?

Something that may come of use: http://www.ae-diagnosticsolutions.com/Docs and pdf/mut3ecu.pdf

Also it seems that there is no difference between Cali and Fed spec, as part numbers are same. And ROMs are universal from that PDF, there is an AWD/FWD listing, but no CALI/FED listing.

Latest ROM it seems is EM2364(04) AWD and EM2363(04) FWD, no idea what that 04 means, there is no such number in ROM.

Since as I understood there are both AWD/FWD maps in ROMs (4x timings, 4x AFR), it could be that those ROMs differ only by map selection and speed limiter table values.

I have a table in my ecu file to control the boost via a "duty cycle" table. This controls the pulses to the bcs. I have not messed with it too much. The stock bcs does not have the capability to control much more than 14psi. The FPR solenoid is a little more capable of the task but I don't think its capable of much more.
You can purchase a boost solenoid like the one for AEM, which can work for plenty of boost.
You can also set this up to help spoolup by keeping the solenoid closed during low rpms!
Once I have the rest of my mods bolted up, I will most likely play with it some more.

This is a big advancement for 98-99 dsms.
Way to go ceddy:thumb:

It will hold more boost if you add a pill to it (drilled aluminum dowel in a vacuum line). Also I'm not sure how much an AEM unit costs but a GM bcs is about $55 and can control boost into the 30+psi range.

$140ish for everything.

wow where did you find that price on the openport 2.0 please share that link.

yes the tuning software is free, the last price i found on the openport 2.0 adapter was $160 for the adapter, and $180 if you want the adapter with all the flash connector adapters. EVO scan is $25 unless you purchase the open port cable from them in which case they include a reg code for evoscan.

Ceddy any chance i can get what you have for an XML just to take a peek my car is a 96 and i am running an EVO ecu so it really wont do me any good, i just want to be nosie...;)

so 140ish and I can reflash the 2gb ECU? Which kinda sucks because I have the 95 EPROM ha... But my parts car is a 98 I believe. Im just curious I already have a logger. This is really interesting news though!

It would be interesting to understand what those numbers mean. Someone posted an EM-2056, it's quite possible they are both 98 ROMs.

Did you had that "-0011" tail added to your ROM number?

The are three ROM IDs placed close together.

First is EM2055, the ROM name.
Second is 20550011, 0011 is the revision number.
Third is a hex number EBD4, Thats what a logger will display.

So... looks like I'm going to just stick with a 98/99 ecu instead of an EVO 8 swap. :p

I'm going to try to get in on this early. I wish the 1.3 cable worked :(

EDIT: Some info for those interested: Part Numbers for the ECU.

MD346675 FWD 7/97-5/98
MD359402 FWD 6/98-4/99

MD346676 AWD 7/97-5/98
MD359403 AWD 6/98-4/99

Source: Eclipse Talon Laser Galant 3000GT Stealth ECU ID Reference

And the only difference would be the resistor for the speed limiter, correct? Which may not even matter now.

AFAIK, only MD359402 and MD359403 works. The other ECUs are very good for logging, but I doubt they can be flashed.

I doubt those ECUs have extra resistors, most likely they have different ROMs and that's it.

Congrats, I don't know that your the first. I've heard of people doing this on the 98/99 ecu's for a while now.

EDIT: I also don't realize why everyone was so gun ho about the evo8 ecu when you can flash the plastic 98/99 ecus.

AFAIK, only MD359402 and MD359403 works. The other ECUs are very good for logging, but I doubt they can be flashed.

I doubt those ECUs have extra resistors, most likely they have different ROMs and that's it.

So the 6/98-4/99 build dates are the only ones that work? :confused:

Now I'm really confused. I just found this old listing on eBay that shows MD346676 being a black plastic ECU.

Does that H2 stand for an H2 processor? If there is such a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back