The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

First E85 Cold Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Well I had to fix a coolant leak in the 15* weather today and never got around to start the car. I have to get up and leave for work at 5:30 am and the temp should be 5-15* in the morning. This will be my first true cold start on e85. So far above 20* it starts ok, and sometimes bogs untill its warm.

Talked to an STi guy the other day and he has to run gas during the winter because his car runs like crap on e85 in weather below 30*. Mine just takes two to three cranks to start and trys to bog out untill its warm and then is fine. Hope it starts up ok, wish me luck!

Mine started fine today at 10,000ft and 10degrees. I even remote started it on the way to car from the slopes. FIAV for the win.
1600cc and e85

Yea she took two cranks at 12* this morning and it was fine. 1200cc injectors. Still have the FIAV also. I should get a remote start.

I have to crank multiple times some days to start. I have had some luck enriching the mix with my afc (about +7% on the afc at 1K/LO), still bogs though, even after taking the fuel back out. I have to let it idle/warm up for a couple of minutes to not bog on straight e85.

Right now I have 2gal of pump91 mixed into 14gal e85 (actually e70 around here these days) and I don't have the bogging issue at all some days. Only when it's really cold, like the day you wrote about in this thread, do I bog with this mix. I may experiment with mixing a little more/less pump91 in and see how it behaves. I know I'll hurt my top end by doing this, but my clutch is slipping above 24psi anyway, so it doesn't matter at this point :(

Well started her up on the -7* day and she misfired all the way till it was warm. Almost like it was running only 3 cylinders. I had to go up a hill and hit it a little, and got a nice backfire from unburned fuel. Anyone else have this issue?

About 30% of the time, mine runs really poorly right when I start it, like it's on 3 cylinders. It does that for no more than about 5-10 seconds then it straightens out. The other times it runs smoothly at startup.

This morning it started smoothly, even as cold as it was. But I'm running that gas/e85 mix I mentioned previously, so that may be helping get the flash point up a little bit.

Yea mine will usually do it for a few seconds. But this time I was real bad. It didnt stop untill the damn temp gauge hit full temp.

Damn, I get a little freaked out when it goes on for only a few seconds, wondering what's shaking loose. I think I'd shut it down and restart to see if it would clear up if it went on longer.

Yea, I did shut it down. If I let it warm up it will go away by the time I come out. If I drive it for a bit while its doing it then shut it down and let it sit for 5 min it will run fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back