The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

first dsm, need help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazn

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
hi guys. i drive a 95 gsx. i've been searching on this site for awhile now...because i didn't want to ask a question that has already been answered. however, i am not finding my answers fast enough, so i hope this will help me in my quest to start my car.

here are the symptoms.

turn key to "on" position

dash board lights do not come on.

when trying to start car, car will crank and not turn over.

when i play around in the car, like jiggle key, or step on clutch numerous times, i get lucky and the lights on the dash finally come on...and the car starts.

when i drive around, i find no problem...still pulls like a champ. however, when i turn off the car.... the cycle continues

car dash lights aren't on.....

and i have to mysteriously play around in side the car for about an hour.....until i get the dash board lights back on again to drive.

from what i have read....i've seen that it could be ecu, ignition, or crank angle sensor??? i'm very confused...i dont want to fix all 3. if someone else could pin point exactly what my problem is...it would be very helpful...thank you

yeah check ur fuses and wires remove the bottom panel cover make sure no wires are loose, or damaged etc...........also whut EXACTLY do you to make the cars interior lights come on??????

:talon: monty :talon:

i did check all my wires and fuses...all seem to be good. what do i do exactly to get the interior lights on? ...i seriously do not know. right now...i am trying to get the dash lights to come back on...but no luck. i think what was holding by a string...finally died out.

i found another symptom if it helps you guys pin point my problem....

the orange light around the ignition sometimes come on...and sometimes it doesn't. when the door is open....it supposed to make a noise that reminds you that the key is in the ignition....but the noise it makes sounds very choppy...like its losing power. its not very consistent like it used to be.

ok....going back out to check connections again. thanks for input guys. but i still need more advice....

krazn

try checking ur battery terminals.......make sure the arent corroded or anything.......make sure they're on nice and tight and make sure ur battery is working properly.........next u need to REALLY check every single wire in there make sure nothing is loose or shorted anything of that sort..........go to autozone and rent a voltemeter of some sort and check the system.......just a thought

:talon: Monty :talon:

Pull the clamshell off the steering column and look for wires that have been screwed with. Sounds like something's broken or loose. Look for vampire taps. If the car was owned by a woman, and she used the usual womanly boat-anchor for a keychain, it may be a damaged ignition switch.

I hope you're still skinny, or getting under the dash is a sledride through hell.

oh my god, thanks alot for all your help guys! it was in fact a loose wire. it ended up being an alarm wire burnt up...so i fixed the connection and all is good. thank god its not something major. i was almost gonna give up on dsm...i'm glad i didn't.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back