The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

First Complete Tear Down....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibc_Eng

Probationary Member
Feb 28, 2009
Olathe, Kansas
90 tsiawd with 91 convertion....I am new to working on care in general beyond brakes, plugs and oil changes for the most part. I am rebuilding the spare 2.0 that came with my car when I bought it. I am planning on replacing the engine in the car with this engine once it is built. I am looking for suggestions and any tips as to what mods and/or upgrades you would advise at this point in time. I am starting this build from the ground up.

I know a few people pushing +400 on a stock bottom end. I wouldnt dump a whole lot of money into the motor. In other words I dont think its necessary to go drop a bunch of money on pistons rods etc. You might do some oversized valves and valve train work but as long as you take your time and do it right should have any problems. Get ready because your going to either catch shit or get a bunch of people throwing out ideas that will cost you out the ass.

My best advice is dont overspend on the motor and save your money for Engine management/or a tune and a trip to the dyno when you finally get to that point

Just look around at people selling stuff and getting pennies on the dollars because they dumped BIG money into a motor to get name brand this and that and then ran out of time/money or something happend to the car before it was completed.

My 2 cents
Kolby

Kolby, Thanks for the input. Everything helps. Can you give me any input in regards to what 2G parts are an upgrade on a 1G?

Thanks Again

Kolby, Thanks for the input. Everything helps. Can you give me any input in regards to what 2G parts are an upgrade on a 1G?

Thanks Again

2g Mass Air Flow Sensor is an upgrade

2g Exhaust Manifold is an upgrade

2g Pistons have HIGHER compression...if you consider that an upgrade

Thats all I can think of

Also 2g Throttle Body Elbow, Much Higher Flowing. Also find a 2g or evo turbo manifold and port it out while you have some time, its easy just takes some time. Also look into cleaning and painting the engine bay for a total tear down. Replace old rusty bolts with new. Replace parts that can ruin other parts. Like for example if you buy a new alternator and keep that old power steering pump thats been on there for 150+ thousand miles and the power steering pump goes and leaks all over your alternator you will have figured out you not only have a bad power steering pump but also your alternator is done now(basic stuff). Purchase and get deals off classifieds on here and Craigs list, ebay, etc but as always be careful.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back