The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

First 1.9 60'

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagii

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I got my first 1.9 60' last weekend. I was pretty stoked. Althought my 1/4 mile time was a little discouraging. I ran 14.7 @ 93.21 mph on 15 psi of boost. My best of the night was 14.3 @ 93.97 but I was only running 12 psi. I was cutting out in the high rpm's on 15 psi on stock injectors. So, just this week, I got ahold of some FIC 650's and finally installed my 3" GM MAFT that's been laying around. I plan on using the GM Maf-t without an additional tuner and instead picking up a wideband tweaking with my Air/fuels that way. Thoughts and opinions?

Link to my 14.3 1/4 time:
GSX vs. TT 300ZX Race 2 - YouTube

proof of my 1.9 60':

Attachments

• drag slip 8-17-12.jpg
    drag slip 8-17-12.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1.9 60'.jpg
    1.9 60'.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Good job, great starting point! What you need most is seat time. Practice practice practice.

What rpm were you launching at? I was able to get my 60' into the 1.8s on a very similar setup once I upped my rpm to 5500.

Lastly, leave the MAFT and just invest in Link, you'll never look back. ;)

Congrats on the 1.9. Main thing that determines the 60' is your tires, clutch, and launch rpm. With an all wheel drive and some practice you'll quickly cut done that time.

As far as the A/F. I ran my can for a long time on e85 and tricked the car into working properly by balancing injectors and boost pressure without any other tuning. It worked o/k but it was very temperamental. I think your talking about an apexi or some other piggyback controller. They work, but I would save your money and pick up DSM link.

DSM link is much more capable and you will also get the two step launch control feature. Then you will really start knocking down those times.

Congrats on the 1.9. Main thing that determines the 60' is your tires, clutch, and launch rpm. With an all wheel drive and some practice you'll quickly cut done that time.

As far as the A/F. I ran my can for a long time on e85 and tricked the car into working properly by balancing injectors and boost pressure without any other tuning. It worked o/k but it was very temperamental. I think your talking about an apexi or some other piggyback controller. They work, but I would save your money and pick up DSM link.

DSM link is much more capable and you will also get the two step launch control feature. Then you will really start knocking down those times.

Thanks guys! My tires are just some oversized all-seasons that came on the car, I have a stage 2 ebay kit clutch that seems to work phenominally, and i'm launching about 5000 rpm. I was planning on using the tunability of the actual MAF translator itself with all those knobs to control injector size, idle, low-mid-high, and rpm/load. I think there's potential with the translator and all the better if I don't have to buy link.

Sub 2.0 :hellyeah:

As far as the maft goes, if you didnt have it, id say forgot about it, but since you do i would run it.

It works just fine for mild set ups. You must have done your homework already because 650's are about the max you can run with the maft. Wideband is definitely a good investment, you will always need that. Just watch your timing, because that is the limiting factor of the maft. It should be a nice improvement over stock though.

But as said above, link or ostrich will really knock those times down. Spot on tune with launch control ftw

Congrats on the pass, great starting point right there.

Hey, I went racing again last night! and I have good news! I made it to the 13's :) I ran 13.905 @ 98mph. I was running about 16psi. I'm way excited and I still gotta go faster!

Attachments

• drag slip 9-7-12.jpg
    drag slip 9-7-12.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 89
Pretty sweet. On stock maf the best I could skate was a 13.8 or a 13.7 dont remember which and that was at 15 pounds roughly. Once I switched to SD on stock injectors at 21 Psi...I know I know. I had water/meth injection on it. With stock SMIC was a 13.2. With some tweaking here and there you can go pretty far on the stock stuff. Safely not soo much. Check to see if you have a EProm ECU. there are a few things you can do to tune urself without much money

congrats on the times. Your progressing nicely. I suggest putting the maft on. I'm running one now amd making amost 600whp so they do work. If you wanna go faster try playing with some e85. It will take you farther than any other single mod. Wait till you hit a 1.6 60'.

congrats on the times. Your progressing nicely. I suggest putting the maft on. I'm running one now amd making amost 600whp so they do work. If you wanna go faster try playing with some e85. It will take you farther than any other single mod. Wait till you hit a 1.6 60'.

Thanks! I just bought the 650 injectors so I'm gonna see how far these take me :)

Find a N/t fpr, Fill your tank with E85, set your global to about 510cc on the MAFT, take about 10% fuel out at the upper end. I believe with the later MAFT you can tune by rpm or airflow. So take about 10% of fuel out about about 600hz. Start turning up the boost watching knock, and making sure the o2 voltage stays high. With E85 the tolerable range of acceptible AFR's is soo huge, as long as the O2 voltage is high and its not knocking your fine. So you really don't even need a wideband.

What your doing here is:
1. Using the n/t fpr to increase the base fuel pressure to 47psi. This makes your 650's flow like 730's, which you need for E85
2. Setting the global 510cc, corrects for the larger injectors, and E85 needing ~25% more fuel per unit of air.
3. Finally the stock fuel maps are extremely rich up top, like 9.8:1. With E85 you can lean it out to about 12:1(gas scale) or leaner to make best power. So taking 10% fuel out of the maps at high flow should help. You'll have to tune this to make best power.

On a similar setup I went 107mph in the 1/4. I ran like 55psi bfp with stock 450's and a MAF hacked to fool the airflow curve about like you would do with the MAFT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I have EPROM ecu. I had to buy one when my last ecu fried a couple months ago.

Good. If you want some info on tuning ## car for pretty cheap and be able to do everything that link does plus more pm me and ill get you some good info. Dont want to go off topic too much LOL.

Btw 60ft is lookin good. Need a 2step now...refer too^

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back