The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Firing order isn't what it should be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Okay I wasn't sure where to post this, I just completed my 6 bolt swap.
-It a 97 eclipse gsx
-95 EPROM
-1g cas
-inverted cas

So everything is wired properly etc etc.. Did my homework so I didn't have to ask questions.

Seems to be guaranteed that the firing order is 3214 going off ecm's wiring diagram for my setup. (Diagram below.)

Well after hearing it crank and checking spark and fuel I figured let me try the stock firing order. (4123)

Long story short it fired and runs perfect! What's going on with my setup that it's different from others?

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,228
So... posting this here, you have Link and were able to check the "Inverted CAS" option in the software, correct? If so, then the firing order is switched internally.

Yes I have link.

This is straight from ecmtuning.

"When installing a '95 EPROM ECU (or '96) on car with a non-'95/'96 style cam angle sensor, you have to rearrange the plug wires. You will also want to check the “Use non-95/96 style cam angle sensor” checkbox in the Misc tab of the ECU Config tab (called “Invert CAS” option in the ECU→Miscellaneous dialog in the older V2 application)."

According to this and everything else I've ever read you have to swap plug wires from original firing order even with cas inversion checked.

I was always under the impression that's what the little checkbox did in Link. I mean -- what else would it do? Seems pretty useless if that isn't what it does.

I'm sure someone will stop in in no time to educate us both.

Yea I was just really surprised when it seemed like a sure thing on swapping the firing order and mine ended up being the opposite.. Hey at least its running, haha. Just figured I would see if I could make sense of it.

That little box in 'Link is to prevent the CEL codes that occur due to the 1g CAS presenting a slightly different signal to the 2g ECU, it has nothing to do with the firing order. Incidently, my 95 with a 6-bolt swap used the stock firing order as well (and just like you I was confused as to why that was). I couldn't be bothered to try to figure out why since the car ran perfectly for years (I've since sold it).

Thanks Paul, I guess everything isn't cut and dry like we would expect when swapping the motor. Good to know for future 6 bolt swaps on here maybe I can advise at some point and help others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back