The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Finally My dsm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu_gst97

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2009
Dayton, Ohio
So this is going to be quite a long post. After trying to acquire a dsm for quite along time i finally got mine.

Where should i start.
I got a freshly rebuilt 97 gst. 2g1g rod combo. 2g pistons, and a ported polished head. 16g turbo. (read profile) etc etc (this is the car that i was looking at when i created my profile trying to learn more about dsm specifics)
5k miles on the motor and rebuilt tranny.
When i got the car, it had a horrible idle and got 13 miles to the gallon.

The first thing to go was the vented bov. Swapped it out for a nice 1g and recirculated with an aftermarket intake. (ebay but it gets the job done.... probably the only ebay part that will ever go on this car). idle is better but still not holding. The car would stall out from any sort of real throttle if you didnt shift immediatly. or give it gas to get back into a sort of idle.

After conversing with the previous owner. ( who threw money at people to get this car put together...) he mentions the 780cc INJECTORS IN THE CAR. well #### thats a huuuuge problem in itself, go grab some stock ones swap them out. clear the corrections in the afc. boom! smooth revs and better gas mileage by far. still there is an idle issue.

I check the error codes on the ecu. i got a o2 issue ( I think there is no rear o2 sesnor..... It will be fixed soon.) I also have 2 not 1, 2 idle air control errors. so i didnt even bother
i said #### it and go grab a 1g tb and swap it out. BAM smooth idle. only problem is the battery is junk and can barely crank the car, let alone hold a good charge so turning on the lights causes the idle to fluctuate. well using anything that draws power messes with the idle.... and dims the lights etc etc (I could barely crank for a compression test with all the plugs out.....) but with the bad crank i still got 150 ish accross the board..

Now you may be wondering how i did this all in one day. My neighbor is 60 yrs old. in her back yard is a 92 6/4 bolt talon tsi. with 80k miles (original owner). Car jumped time ####ed the heads and its been sitting ever since. I tell her " Ill help you sell the car as a non running car if you let me get any parts i need off of it." she says DEAL just get it out of my backyard. DEAL!!!!! free injectors free tb and toomorrow free alternator. (The new battery is going to be coming from the previous owners wallet) ( im going to take as much stuff as i can off of my free parts car while i can.....)

this was my loooong day. its tiring. but i havent been more happier to be working on a car. let alone the dsm that got me dreaming about owning a dsm period.

excuse bad grammar spelling etc etc. Its been a long day. ( lots of running around)

this isnt really a post for help. Just a hell yes Ive got my dsm and what ive had to do to fix bullshit mods.

goodnight folks
:rocks: :hellyeah:

im gunna steal some pics from the sell ads just as a refrence.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

heres some teasers....

Good deal man keep us updated. I just want mine running. :banghead:

looks good great find keep us posted

Im getting a new FB and hood that are factory paint silver. (Im hoping it will blend a little better then a fresh coat. ) and the fb is already cout out for a fmic. so all i need is some piping and a core and we got something. but yeah those are the pics of the car. toomorrow is a possible alternator and ps swap. ps is making alotta noise so ima swap the pump. I love my free parts car!! and the fact that it was kept up by an old lady. alternator and ps pump only got like 20k miles on em. shes got the receipts to prove it...... so thats going to be happening after i get out of class.

:) lucky bastard. HAHa

Good find. I would suggest dropping the car a hair just to fill the fender gap. Put that hood up FS if your getting and OEM it will bring $400 easy

Kolby

You should swap out the fb for a OEM and keep the old one to run in the winter there in Dayton... winter is not kind out there...

Nice kill though, have fun w/ it!!

I would of much rather bought the 1g awd from your neighbor, 6/4 bolt combo for a gst ?unless that 1g was in really bad shape ? don't get me wrong I love 2gs( I had 2 of them at one point,down to one 2g)but the 1g is iconic.

I would of much rather bought the 1g awd from your neighbor, 6/4 bolt combo for a gst ?unless that 1g was in really bad shape ? don't get me wrong I love 2gs( I had 2 of them at one point,down to one 2g)but the 1g is iconic.

I was wondering the same exact thing. But hey, to each his own. Nevertheless a good find and have fun with it!:thumb:

The car will absolutely run better with a new alternator.

yeah. tonite after class im swapping out the the alternator and ps pump. (it makes noise when turning). Yeah i considered the 1g, but i got the 2g in a trade. Paid no cash for it, and i havent paid anything for all the parts im getting off the 1g. (Got a sweet deal going with the old lady). plus the 1gs heads are ####ed and it has 80k miles on the motor. and like 40k on the tranny. the gst has 5k on both.... o and the 1g has been sitting for 2 years rotting. suspension and brakes are rusting baaad. so i dont think i got a bad deal. traded a 2000 vw golf 4dr 2l with 96k miles for a 97 gst with 5k miles on the powertrain. and i got a free parts car to boot.

:thumb::thumb: yay for helping old ladys around the house.

I hear ya man that was a hell of a deal you got there. You should take that 6 bolt block before she sells it.:sneaky: 80k really isn't to bad for an almost 20 year old car. Also, old lady=babied!!!!:rocks::rocks: haha Just a thought.

I recently bought a 98 gst and it runs like absoltue crap. I will probably do the same you did, I just bought a 1G bov and a stop leak kit. Hopefully she'll be up and running soon.

so far ive basically replaced all the hacked up vacuum set ups. Checked for boost leaks. Recirculated the bov. Replaced the tb and gasket. swapped back to stock injectors. turned the corrections off on the afc neo. and now im replacing the ps pump and the alternator. Just got done getting them out of the 1g. soooo the ps pump is easy. But i almost went crazy trying to get that damn alternator out. i ended up jacking the car up. using a drill to get access to a damn bolt through the wheel well. taking out the fans and finally the damn things comes right up and out.

ima swap the ps pump tonite. But the alternator is going to get tested before it goes in my car. im not going through all that bullshit for a bad alternator. :notgood:

1 more thing done. 2 more to do.

:rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back