The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Finally, a good quiet muffler

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have there been any attempt by a different manufacturer to copy this muffler design? perhaps someone in the US? $499 is way expensive for just a muffler.

Its not just a muffler... Your a prime example of whats wrong with the dsm scene today. :cry::cry: TOO EXPENSIVE :cry: :heystupid: GTFO....

Its an electric cutout, and 2 mufflers in one. Its got a straight through muffler, a baffled muffler, and an electric cutout in one unit.

Now if you were to build something like this yourself, you would have to get an electric cutout, 2 mufflers, some more exhaust pipe, bends, etc, make a buncha pie cuts, weld shit together, and figure out how to hang it under the car and still look clean.

Or, you can buy this one muffler, and be done with it. In fact my only complaint is that its so damn shiny. Nothing a 12$ can of engine enamel won't fix.

It looks they even have a round can style muffler for us now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jGYnhbQQU

And sounds like ass with the cutout open.

Sorry I thought the point of this was to keep it quiet while just driving around normally and then offer a less restrictive exhaust when you want to go WOT. I was unaware you cared so much what it sounded like at full throttle. :rolleyes:

Whatever though, to each there own. I was just pointing out it's a less expensive solution that achieves the same main objective.

Its not just a muffler... Your a prime example of whats wrong with the dsm scene today. :cry::cry: TOO EXPENSIVE :cry: :heystupid: GTFO....

Its an electric cutout, and 2 mufflers in one. Its got a straight through muffler, a baffled muffler, and an electric cutout in one unit.

Now if you were to build something like this yourself, you would have to get an electric cutout, 2 mufflers, some more exhaust pipe, bends, etc, make a buncha pie cuts, weld shit together, and figure out how to hang it under the car and still look clean.

Or, you can buy this one muffler, and be done with it. In fact my only complaint is that its so damn shiny. Nothing a 12$ can of engine enamel won't fix.

It looks they even have a round can style muffler for us now

Varex remote control muffler. - YouTube

ROFLROFL sorry buddy but for $500 i can buy a lot more things with that than a muffler!

have there been any attempt by a different manufacturer to copy this muffler design? perhaps someone in the US? $499 is way expensive for just a muffler.

Closest thing is the Dynomax VT muffler. 90-100$ price range.

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

Dynomax VT muffler idle 4g63 DSM - YouTube
It sounds louder than it is on the vid because the camera was right there behind it. Its damn quiet. Typically my wife can hear me start up the car and also hear me leave and come back from inside the house in the past. She can no longer hear the car start and drive away while in the house anymore. Its damn quiet.

ROFLROFL sorry buddy but for $500 i can buy a lot more things with that than a muffler!

:banghead:

Its like argueing with a damn 3 year old. To accomplish the same thing without buying this muffler it would cost more than 500$, or it would weigh twice as much.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You find me a straight through 3" muffler that doesn't produce god awful drone at crusing rpm and I will take it back.

Closest thing is the Dynomax VT muffler. 90-100$ price range.

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

Dynomax VT muffler idle 4g63 DSM - YouTube
It sounds louder than it is on the vid because the camera was right there behind it. Its damn quiet. Typically my wife can hear me start up the car and also hear me leave and come back from inside the house in the past. She can no longer hear the car start and drive away while in the house anymore. Its damn quiet.

nice, that design looks promising, have you had any problems with the valve not opening fully at WOT? how long have you had it on the car?

:banghead:

Its like argueing with a damn 3 year old. To accomplish the same thing without buying this muffler it would cost more than 500$, or it would weigh twice as much.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You find me a straight through 3" muffler that doesn't produce god awful drone at crusing rpm and I will take it back.

check the post above yours, i don't have first hand experience but the design in itself is something worth checking out.
"DynoMax Valve Technology Mufflers feature an exclusive, precisely calibrated internal valve that redirects exhaust flow, during cruising conditions, to provide Drone-Free Performance™. Hammer the gas and the valve automatically adjusts for maximum exhaust flow, delivering on-demand performance and a deep, throaty drone-free sound."

sounds promising enough for me to try it out if it's only $100.

nice, that design looks promising, have you had any problems with the valve not opening fully at WOT? how long have you had it on the car?

I've had it on the car for 100km. No drone at all. I can't stand muffler drone.
No issues with WOT that I'm aware of yet.

I've had it on the car for 100km. No drone at all. I can't stand muffler drone.
No issues with WOT that I'm aware of yet.

do you have cams? i was reading the thread regarding this (dynomax vt) muffler over at evolutionm.net and everyone is saying no cams is fine but anything more than 272s causes it to rattle. i have kelford 272s so that may be an issue, but i am thinking a little dremel work should do the trick or some kind of high heat sound deadener applied all the way around the valve.

Sure that dynomax is great, if you want something that sounds like ass. Your still comparing apples and bananas

Edit:.
And yeah, the majority of comments by turbo 4 cylinder owners say it starts rattling.

Evo owners, SRT-4 owners, I haven't found many dsm owners with it yet, but it doesn't seem like its designed with a turbo i4 in mind.

Edit again :

Nvm, a majority of the owners are complaining that it starts to rattle and sound like shit.

Last edited:
do you have cams?

FP3's.

Boostinsideways:
Not sure why your so pissed off. I didn't come in here slamming the Varex, Cool design and for the $, Yeah its an awesome setup. Sure its apples and oranges not sure where I said it wasn't. Just thought I'd throw this up here in the discussion.
I know there was a update for the valve in the dynomax, Mines the updated version. Unsure if it still keeps it from rattling over a long period of time.
This muffler is just to keep it quiet on the street which is maybe 500-1000km a year for me. For the track I pull the exhaust from the firewall back and have a v/band flanged downturn I add on.

Im not pissed off, but some people need to realise you get what you pay for. 500$ is reasonable, not a great price, but reasonable for the Varex mufflers. That 100$ muffler looked cool, but I searched for about 2 hours last night during my midnight shift and couldn't find any other dsms with that muffler. And all in all the reviews tend to favor towards negative, though it could be the vocal minority that ruins the part's reputation, I am just not willing to take that chance.

It would be really nice if an American muffler company copied the design of the varex, and could get to us for >500$. I realize shipping from Australia and import tax are part of the reason that muffler is a bit more expensive than it really has to be.

Just got mine installed (purchased from MAP). I really like it, the sound is a lot different than I expected. Fully open at low RPM's actually sounds quiter to me than closed at low RPM's. But closed at high RPM's really cuts down on the drone (enough that I barely notice it but there still is a small drone if i really pay attention).

Since I drive 50ish mile back and forth to work if I didn't have this muffler I would never drive the eclipse to work so I'd end up pretty much just never driving it :).

we need videos of the car moving with the valve closed!:rocks:

I run the Dynomax VT muffler on my 2g and I am pretty happy with it. No rattles, although I do feel as if it is more restrictive than a typical straight through muffler. I think for a $100 you cant go wrong. (even though it is an ugly muffler)

I run the Dynomax VT muffler on my 2g and I am pretty happy with it. No rattles, although I do feel as if it is more restrictive than a typical straight through muffler. I think for a $100 you cant go wrong. (even though it is an ugly muffler)

nice how long have you had it?

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone running these remote controlled Varex mufflers on a DSM/EVO making 500+ to the wheels? I like the idea of controlling the exhaust sound at night or on the highway on long trips, but still need the car to make it's power with the flap open at WOT with as little restriction possible. The flap just seems like it will be a restriction no matter what. Will a 3" Varex flow just as much as a "x" brand 3" straight through cannon type muffler that is known to flow well on higher horsepower DSM/EVO's? Has anyone done a back to back comparison on a dyno or track time that can offer some insight on how well the Varex flows with the flap open?

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone running these remote controlled Varex mufflers on a DSM/EVO making 500+ to the wheels? I like the idea of controlling the exhaust sound at night or on the highway on long trips, but still need the car to make it's power with the flap open at WOT with as little restriction possible. The flap just seems like it will be a restriction no matter what. Will a 3" Varex flow just as much as a "x" brand 3" straight through cannon type muffler that is known to flow well on higher horsepower DSM/EVO's? Has anyone done a back to back comparison on a dyno or track time that can offer some insight on how well the Varex flows with the flap open?

We use and sell the Varex mufflers and have made 600+whp on our in house X project. The way the flap is designed it will not impede flow and should make identical power to any other 3" muffler. Feel free to contact us if you need any more info!

Varex Catback Exhaust - MAP Fabrication - YouTube

We use and sell the Varex mufflers and have made 600+whp on our in house X project. The way the flap is designed it will not impede flow and should make identical power to any other 3" muffler. Feel free to contact us if you need any more info!

Varex Catback Exhaust - MAP Fabrication - YouTube

I love the sound of that closed! Is there any muffler that looks like a completely stock GSX muffler and is as quiet as that?

I love the sound of that closed! Is there any muffler that looks like a completely stock GSX muffler and is as quiet as that?

Look through this thread. There are some pictures of dual outlet varex mufflers :thumb:

Look through this thread. There are some pictures of dual outlet varex mufflers :thumb:

I meant something that isn't variable and hopefully cheaper than $500, I should have specified that.

When I get around to upgrading my exhaust it'll likely have an inline muffler AND a stock looking muffler on the back. I like my exhaust near silent, even if it means a decrease in performance.

I made my own variable outlet muffler, and it works great. I used an old throttle body blade to be able to open and close one of the outlets on my dual outlet muffler. Then I used an old choke pull off to pull the valve closed under vacuum. I wasn't sure the diaphram would hold 30psi of boost, so I added a one way vacuum valve to keep boost out of the choke pull off, and added a metered air bleed to allow the valve to close on it's own when boost hits. Altogether it costed me nothing to do this modification to my muffler, and the car is way quieter when driving around normally.

My whole system is 3" with a 18" long glasspack in the middle, and an Ansa Silverline straight through muffler in the back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back