The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Finally, a DSM of my own :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveSomeJoe

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2007
Portland, Maine
I've been on and off this site for a while, admiring my close friend chuck's 95 gs-t learning all about it from 3 transmission removals and his new gsx engine overhaul that hes almost finished with. I've wanted a dsm for 3 years now and my time I think, has come. In about 2 hours I'll be looking at a 1992 Tsi AWD that could be my very own. Hopefully things work out! :)

You'll regret it.. I know I'm starting to. My advice is to look for a STOCK low-mileage one.

I bought mine with 118k and slightly modded. Poor compression on cylinders 2 and 3. I don't know yet if I need a complete rebuild or just a headgasket.

You'll regret it.. I know I'm starting to. My advice is to look for a STOCK low-mileage one.

I bought mine with 118k and slightly modded. Poor compression on cylinders 2 and 3. I don't know yet if I need a complete rebuild or just a headgasket.

You picked up a modified DSM with 118k miles and it has poor compression? No Way...

Just remember, you'll either love or hate your DSM every day you own it. Usually in sync with if it's running or not. :D
Even with all the heartbreak that can happen, it's really worth it. :)

that made me rofl.... ROFL

1. You got owned b/c you bought a modified high mileage car without compression testing first

2. Use this as a blessing in disquise and build a nice motor to go into it. If it is just a head gasket, put some ARPs and an MLS on there and call it done.

You got owned for not being a wise consumer, not for buying a DSM.

Dude, you will not regret it. One sob story from some chuckle head who didn't buy a good car or have the funds to fix it if it broke shouldn't be enough to change your mind.

These cars are amazing. They're also Absolutely horrible. But so is any car. Supra motors blow HG's all the time, Honda's. . . well. . . yeah, it's a honda. Every car has it's downfalls.

People just get caught up in the fact that the cars seem unreliable. But really. . . think about it. You have to expect it. Even newer dsm's are almost 10yr's old. Thats AT LEAST like 10 yrs of hard hard abuse. And 1g's have it worse, they're even older.

You can't wine about it, just fix it up, enjoy it, and fix it again. But the trick is this. . .

When it does break, Look for ways to upgrade at the same time.

"oh no, my Muffler is falling off. . . Oh well, time for 3" Turbo Back!"

exactly. These are some of the most fun cars that I've ever driven or worked on. I have stayed up many times fixing mine, and my friends cars. It's just what happens when you are looking for more power, things break.

When it does break, Look for ways to upgrade at the same time.

"oh no, my Muffler is falling off. . . Oh well, time for 3" Turbo Back!"

Thats the way that I have been modifying my talon since it is my daily driver. Great example. ROFL

You sound like you have a good friend that can help out if things go wrong, and you already have some knowledge of these cars. Be sure to read up before looking/test driving this potential vehicle. Maybe even bring your friend and the usual box of car buying tools. (compression tester, mechanic's stethoscope, etc...)

My advice is dont buy a DSM unless you can work on it yourself or have deep pockets. It seems you can work on them so have at it. Did you buy one or not? If you are gonna get a 1G get a 90-91.

My advice is dont buy a DSM unless you can work on it yourself or have deep pockets. It seems you can work on them so have at it. Did you buy one or not? If you are gonna get a 1G get a 90-91, Id prefer a 91.

My advice is dont buy a DSM unless you can work on it yourself or have deep pockets. It seems you can work on them so have at it. Did you buy one or not? If you are gonna get a 1G get a 90-91, Id prefer a 91.

Why does everyone say deep pockets. I've put just a little bit into my car besides a motor, it's not that bad.

It could be WAY WAY worse. Like modding a 3k or a supra. Where parts are Exponentially more expensive than are for our cars.

yea i got the car, lets see, to get it on the road, it needs a windshield, an exhaust manifold, and a clutch master cylinder. the popup headlights need motors i think too. im very pleased.

Thats not bad man. Get a 2g manifold to throw on there since it's bigger and you can get one for about 50 bucks. Clutch master and windshield you're better off new.

Congrats man, good luck with her, and happy boosting!

thanks guys. yea my friends actually selling me a ported 2g manifold so that should be pretty good, im hoping a windshield wont be too much money, and i know a master cylinder isnt very much either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back