The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Filled blocks on the street.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmornothing

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2009
Ishpeming, Michigan
Alright, I know some of you guys here have either partially filled blocks or fully filled. While my engine is still on the stand I am considering doing a fill. Going with an electronic water pump with controller. Now, am I better off doing a full fill half fill or 3/4 fill. Also to those who run filled blocks do you have any cooling issues? I plan to run a big cooler with a fan.

Has the block been honed already? If so it's too late to fill it.

Yes it has been honed. But I have no issue getting it honed again. My PTW is currently around 45 thou I doubt it would need anymore than 5 thou to bring it back IF it even distorts anything

Shouldnt matter, flip an evo block around and its a dsm block, but i see no reason to burn 5000 for 20 lbs of weight loss.

Yeah, then make custom engine mounts and weld shut all the holes that the dsm head doesn't have. Its not a simple flip. I've owned an evo8 engine.

And all aluminum block would save more than 20lbs. An all aluminum 401 engine only weighs 415-425lbs fully decked with accessories.

Wasnt aware of that. Thanks for clearing that up mj. I read somewhere that an alum blocked 4g fully dressed weighs 26 lbs less. Could be wrong though ;). Then again, if youre going for lightness, a lightened rotating assembly, lightweight valvetrain, and lightweight accessories, i could see it

Cory we looked closer at the block I am going to fill and came to the conclusion to fill the block upside down. There is no reason to just fill the bottom(3/4-1/2 fill) as people still crack blocks. I can see why buschur said to just fill the whole thing unless you want to do what I am going to do and just fill the top half. But I am still up in the air now. I want to stick with somewhat stock appearing as I am running in a street car class and would like to keep the stock water pump. Seems like number 1 is the cylinder that will crack in this situation.

On a side note back when Shep was on a completely wet block he went 167mph. That is make some serious power. I need to block off the water holes in the deck of the block and still would like to somewhat cool the engine block to keep oil temps in check and not running an oil cooler.

I believe I figured out how to do it and have it filled to the top but still push coolant through. It will involve doing 3 different fills but it should work. Sorry I hung up earlier John I had some stuff going on. But I will call you with my idea tomorrow and see what you think. I know the fill probably is not needed but I want to have the assurance that the block will handle whatever I throw at it. I guess we will see how it goes. I am going with an electric pump regardless.

Wasnt aware of that. Thanks for clearing that up mj. I read somewhere that an alum blocked 4g fully dressed weighs 26 lbs less. Could be wrong though ;). Then again, if youre going for lightness, a lightened rotating assembly, lightweight valvetrain, and lightweight accessories, i could see it

Only way i see it not saving more than that is if the block has to be made physically bigger to be strong enough to handle power. Then it might not save much.

They make them for dsms as well as 4g64 blocks, smart guy.

If they do then link it, smart guy.

Op is it possible to fill the block with something removable in the passages so after filling you'd still have basic coolant passages?

Only way i see it not saving more than that is if the block has to be made physically bigger to be strong enough to handle power. Then it might not save much.

Op is it possible to fill the block with something removable in the passages so after filling you'd still have basic coolant passages?

Partial fill

MJcanada said:

They aren't on the site yet. Obviously, they aren't as big of a seller as the EVO ones but if you call, they'll tell you that they do make em. Even without calling, I think its pretty obvious to assume that they would make a dsm version when the differences between the two are so MINUTE and this is a custom cnc billet piece... They also make cnc billet heads for both evos and dsms.

"DSMTuners, for when you need helpfull information but a bunch of idiots hijack your thread anyways. Useless."

Hopefully our conversation had some useful information.

Good luck with the buildup!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back