The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fidanza flywheel. Thoughts please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boost97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
st jacob, Illinois
So i smoked my clutch(newb mistake, went cheap should have bought a better one). Im getting in there and was wondering if i should replace flywheel. It was resurfaced 1k miles ago btw.
Is fidanza a good product? I noticed they have a removable friction surface which kind of worries me. I dont want to pull tranny again in 5k miles. I dont launch my car ever, just some wot pulls. Its not a DD and i will most likely be looking at putting down over 400hp with it.
thanks

The motor revs really fast with it! It does stall every once in a while coming down from high rpms too fast. Not sure how well it's holding up cause I haven't pulled the tranny lately, but the dis/engagement feels great! Sprung ClutchNet 6 puck with plenty of launches.

I have one and it does make a noticeable difference in how fast the motor responds. The friction surface is thuroughly bolted on. You won't need to worry about it falling off. It's one of those upgrades that if you have the extra money, it's nice to have... not NEED to have. You are losing a sizeable amount of rotational weight, so there is a bit more power available, but it is also a little harsher on engagement. If you don't shift smoothly it will jerk more than the stock flywheel does.

ordered it when i got home from work earlier. Cant wait. Comp stage4 clutch with a fidanza flywheel. Now im gonna put that power to the ground! I love breaking the tires loose at 70mph, u know you have one hell of a fast car. I got that feeling ONCE before my clutch died. LOL

ordered it when i got home from work earlier. Cant wait. Comp stage4 clutch with a fidanza flywheel. Now im gonna put that power to the ground! I love breaking the tires loose at 70mph, u know you have one hell of a fast car. I got that feeling ONCE before my clutch died. LOL

:aha:

.... I think I sense a disturbance in the Schwartz....... Yes, it says.... you.....are.....about to..... beat the crap out of your gears. OMG. I'm psychic!! Or psycho... I'm not sure which of those it is yet. :p

LOL, i needed that this morning. Yes LONSESTAR, i too forsee a totally granaded tansmission in my future from powerful 3rd gear pulls....... The Schwartz ROFL.... one of the funniest movies ever. Love mel brooks. Now I HAVE to watch spaceballs after i get home, thanks pal..

Seriously. I think thats going to be the weak link in my system now. The tranny or hopefully the axles. Buuuuut, im proposing to my girl in 4 weeks so i cant swing a new TRE tranny, LSD, AND a 4500 dollar diamond all at once. But i know its going to happen. I reviewed the log, the one it actually held in. Im flowing 41lbs at 23spi around 6k. I know pte's dont have the best name, but for 1100 bucks im pretty happy with this thing. I expect itll do in the neighborhood of 60lbs but the day i see that will be the day TRE or shep gets a phone call on an incoming order!!

LOL you sure it was your tires breaking loose or just your clutch slipping. i have the fidanza lightened flywheel and havnt had any problems with it so far.

Just remember that when tuning for power, evil will always triumph over good... Because good is dumb.

You are right... Now the gears, diffs, and lsd are the next to go. I have yet to see someone strip an axle. You'd have to already be running a lot of power and give it a wet shot of liquid Schwartz at the wrong time to do that. The only time I have seen that happen was on YouTube videos of really high power drag cars.

Now, as a last horrible movie reference, I must go comb the desert.... It's right outside, so it's easy for me to do. I find it helps me to relax, because I am surrounded by Assholes here at work... Those cross-eyed inbred deuchbags make getting anything done a real chore. :tease: :ohdamn: <--me

hahahahaha, your fn awesome dude. Now... how about his best work: Blazing saddles? Or young frankenstein, or FRaaaaanken Steeeeen LOL. This thread went all over in a good way. Btw, MAP and vrsf are both quick shippers, gotta give them both plugs. Ordered comp clutch monday and flywheel monday, 1 from each vendor and theyre being delivered tomorrow. Good guys at MAP. First time doing business with VR but they ship quick.

Side note: Tell me i wont have to worry about any of this "pivot ball shim" nonsense? This should be PnP correct? Its going in saturday but i want to do it once, not twice. The next time i pull it is after i explode the diff or gear sets or whatever lives in a tranny....

First class sargeant Asshole sir! Phillip Asshole? iirc LOL. I gotta watch it tonight, its on the entertainment center, i pulled it out of a box after i read your comments.

Well, I spent most of my work day staring at Mr. Coffee, thinking I was drawing piping layouts for a slurry pump on AutoCAD... I thought maybe AutoDesk integrated Finite Element Analysis into their software. Turns out someone just pushed the "Italian Espresso" button. That stuff takes forever.... And it tasted like crap... But, it did give me the the energy to work at Ludachris Speed and also finally go change my office computer password from 1-2-3-4-5 to something other than what an idiot would use as the combination on his luggage. ROFL

I used a single washer and shimmed my pivot ball. It's very, very simple. I just did it because I owned a Jeep Wrangler before this car and the clutch engagement point was very high, so I was already used to that feel, and shimming the ball up a tad changed the engagement point on the pedal up just a bit. If you like it closer to the floor, don't Shim the ball unless it is very visably worn and out of round.

...and Blazing Saddles, FTW. I am a desert rat redneck (with a college degree, and the Month Python Holy Grail Cow Catapult on my desk at work... And yes, I have shot other engineers with little toy cows, pinto beans, and a golf ball while yelling about waving my private parts at their aunties in an outrageous French accent), living in one of the last parts of the country to become "civilized". Billy the Kid hid in the mountains 20 minutes from my house. This is the last outpost of "The Old West", and if you've ever been through here, you'd know there aren't many people but there are a lot of rough looking cattle. The cowboys here are the real progeny of the west portrayed in the movies. I love Blazing Saddles, and I can't remember how many times we have gone through massive pots of chili and cases of beer trying to replicate that fart scene around the campfire. :D

My sachs clutch in there now with stock flywheel engages pretty low off the floor already and i dont mind. As long as it doesnt drag im good. Ill inspect this pivot ball thing and go from there. thanks guys

I have it with a unsprung 6 puck and 2600pp. It took me a day to get used to it, but drivability is fine. And never have to worry about paying to surface a flywheel or finding cracks and needing a new one

I have one on my car and love it. Make sure your flywheel bolts are locktited and torqued! or u will need another new one LOL. I had two of my bolts back out and ruined it :( 208 dollar mistake!

Yes sir, i use red loctite on my fwheel bolts.
Ok, i got everything in today. MAP sent the flywheel. Bad, no, terrible packaging. Sent them an email. The box had 3 distinct holes in it. From the flywheel studs smashing repeatedly against shit. They are slightly mushroomed out so the PP wont fit now. I guess im going to gently file them down by hand so i can fir the PP over them. Really happy with MAPs shipping and customer service in the past but this was unexpected. The guy doing the packagine fell asleep. There was no foam or even popcorn foam in the box. Nothing to protect the flywheel. Thank god the ring gear wasnt smashed too, if thatd happened id HAVE to send it back. Soon as my phone charges ill try and post up pics of the studs. Let me know what yall think

pics: all 3 studs look similiar.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21 20.59.47.jpg
    2012-06-21 20.59.47.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2012-06-21 21.00.15.jpg
    2012-06-21 21.00.15.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 63
I would have sent that right back. You should have refused delivery after seeing the package like that. They should fix their mistake, not you.

Dude, i have a job LOL. I was gone. I would have done the same thing i know. But its here now. Its aluminum so filing those edges is easy but if losing a quarter gram on the balance will screw it up then its not worth it. The weight of the filings will be negligible at best, so im not too worried i just want to be sure.

At least contact them and tell them they messed up, or they will likely do the same to someone else.

Glad I didn't buy my ACT Streetlite flywheel from them a month ago, mine came packed in its box inside a larger box fully protected and best yet the shipping was free.

I sent them an email. With pics attached expressing my disappointment(to say the least). Only good thing: Free shipping and it only cost 189. Wasnt too bad. Now i know why they have free shipping, they just throw shit in a box, spike it like a football on the concrete and send it out the back door!! LOL
I cant blame fedex. It was certainly packaging. But, if anyone wants to weigh in on the filing thing, please do, id appreciate it.

heres the old shit:
Btw, new flywheel and comp clutch grab like a MOFO!! This is NOT slipping.... ever. It would be impossible i think LOL

Attachments

• 2012-06-23 13.38.49.jpg
    2012-06-23 13.38.49.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2012-06-23 13.39.09.jpg
    2012-06-23 13.39.09.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2012-06-23 13.39.29.jpg
    2012-06-23 13.39.29.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-06-23 13.40.17.jpg
    2012-06-23 13.40.17.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 50
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back