The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Ferrari shift gate setup for a dsm [Merged 10-6] gated shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's some of the trouble you have- the shift lever is wider than the distance between gears. So to start, you need to go to a smaller-diameter shift lever. What you're also up against is that gated shifters are meant for transmissions whose shifter is directly attached to the top of the gearbox, not cable-operated remotely-controlled shifters.

And try a gated box before you start to think you might want one. They're not for quick-shifting.

Attachments

• shift.jpg
    shift.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 978
Agreed. If it's for looks, that would be alright I suppose.

It WILL slow your shifting down though.

I have been considering something a little different. It may not look quite as cool as the gates but would be much more practical. I am sure I have seen this setup before but can't think where. It would be similar to many automatics. You know that piece that slides forward and back with the shifter. This would have to be a little different for a manual but the same princapal. You would have a top plate with a round hole a little bigger than the shift pattern, a lower plate attached to the shifter that would move with it, and one below that properly spaced to keep the middle piece in location. It would look clean, unique, and it wouldnt slow down shifts. You would still want a new shift lever since the stock one isn't very pretty.

^^Pretty good idea i might have to steal it. I hate the shift boot.

Hey whats up everyone. My names Chris (also known as SUPERMAC) and my company (www.ultimateperformanceacc.com) is the one responsible for the 3000gt Gated shifters mentioned above.

We have been making them for a while now and just recently started doing them for the late gen 6 speed versions.

Anyway, we have been toying with making a gated shifter fo rthe eclipses but havent had the time to do R&D on it. Once we get some time to spend on it then we will try and make it happen.

So far though we do offer RACE Shifters for the eclipses (1st and 2nd gens). They are about 60% shorter overall than stock and lower the shift knob hieght a pretty good amount. I have one in my modded 95 GST and love it.

As for other products we will be making a bunch of new stuff here shortly. Our website is about to go under contruction and we will be adding some new products here and there over the next few months.

well anyway, nice talking to ya.

Chris
SUPERMAC
[email protected]

Ahh yes i will vouch for supermac as i used to have a 3000gt/stealth and had some of his products...TOP TOP TOP notch, great company, you should reg as a vendor for this site, and provide us with more products for the eclipse.

Ryan

I found this

http://www.ppsonline.net/shift_gate.htm

It says they make shift gates for 95-99 Eclipses, but I don't know any more than that. Hope it helps.
I don't see how it would work if the shift throws overlap though, since it looks like they are just selling the gate.

JayB98GST said:
I don't see how it would work if the shift throws overlap though, since it looks like they are just selling the gate.

I can't say for sure, but by looking at their generic plate it isn't a full gate. Only the smallest bit of the end of the throw seems to be gated. Something like that probably would work as our overlap problem seems to be more severe at the begining of the throw and by the end of the throw they no longer seem to overlap, but i haven't actually broken out the ruler and whatnot to verify this observation. Forgive the hasty photoshop, but it better illustrates my thought. Then again it may just be my perception or the well used and overly soft shifter plate bushings that make it feel like this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• shift_gate.jpg
    shift_gate.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 762
Awsome....I wouldnt care if it was gated at all...I just hate the boot. I may have to order and see how it is. Ill keep everyon updated..

Ran

I saw a new solution to the shift boot dilemna in a new Volvo, it was their "sporty" sedan, the S80 T6 with AWD and 300hp, six speed. The shifter was styled like an arcade game knob, where the base of the lever was attached to a half-sphere like O---( and that half sphere was surrounded by the rest of the center console trim. When you moved the shifter, it looked like the shift lever was unconnected to anything since the edges of the half-sphere were covered.

Hard to explain, easy to understand if you saw it in person or a pic.

i would like to know who makes the gated shifter for the 2g eclipse
i saw one on a convertible the other day and really like it
it's kind of like a regular shifter only it doesnt have a boot
it has a metal plate with the H pattern cut out
i have heard it referred to as a "ferarri style" shifter and a "gated" shifter

if someone could tell me where to find something like this it would be greatly appreciated

all you had to do was search.

common consensus is a gated shifter is a nono :nono: simplest way of putting it is our shifters dont move into gears properly for a gated shifter. it IS possible, but it will be a PITA to speed shift.

it seems like this one wouldn't be such a "PITA" to get into gear

Hey just wondering if anyone has seen this ferrari style shift plate on a DSM?i apologize if this belongs in a different forum....anyhow i was thinkin about makin somtething like this and puttin it in instead of my stock boot? how do ones youve seen look or how do you think it would look? tthanks in advances guys !!!!
-Adam

Noone has used that one but someone did it with a circular one they machined to make work. Looked very nice.

right i mean something along these lines not this part specifically...as im sure it doesnt fit( it is straight off of a ferrari)

You could easily machine a round one. Come to think of it I might do it now and powerdercoat it black. I will try to find the pic of one.

why round when the spot where the boot came from is rectangular ? maybe i misunderstood? I just plan on machining one that fits directly into where the shift boot was and powdercoating it(probably black)...i just love making my car a little bit unique and have people ask where i got that...:cool: LOL ...thanks! keep in mind... that im driving a 1g maybe thats where my confusion lies?

According to VFAQ's "1000 Already Answered Questions" you cannot (without modification to the shifter):

What is a shift gate?
Has anybody ever installed a shift gate on a [DSM]?

An external shift gate is a guide - essentially, a thin metal plate with slots cut into it - installed on the shifter of a car. It provides a positional reference for each gear. It is usually installed in an exposed position, so the driver can see it. Some cars, such as certain Ferrari and Mercedes automobiles, come with external shift gates stock.

It is not possible to install a shift gate on a DSM without altering the shifter. The reason is that the shifter shaft overlaps the same space in different gears. For example, the shaft position in third gear overlaps the shaft position in first and/or fifth gear. For this reason, it is not possible to install a shift gate that has separate slots cut into it for different gears. The shaft is also hollow, so thinning it is problematic.

Not saying that no one's done it, or that even you won't be successful, but as far as companies making these and selling them for DSMs, I highly doubt that will ever happen, as each gate would almost have to be cut and machined specifically for the individual car's shift pattern, and allowing enough room for the DSMs standard "margin of error" in shifter positions, I can't imagine how it would be very practical.

But I agree, that might look pretty sweet if done right ;)

wow thanks a lot for that...apparently im in deeper than i thought....and youre probably right about it not being practical but i think that since i have plent of spare time and novice mechanical skills....i could make one of then...then another...then another because the previous one didnt fit LOL...anyway...thanks again for the info...and ill let everyone know how it goes

hey thanks so much for taking the time to find that...mad rep points for that!! anyhow...i think im in a lil deeper than i thought i didnt realize the shift pattern overlaps...im still gonna try it and see how far i get before i get stuck...
thanks again
-adam

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back