The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Felpro HG 1153-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel dee

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
On my second Felpro MLS ...While still sealing ,,,,it seems to be dissolving somehow..About 7000 kms on this HG , motor is about 10,000 kms.......Boost is 40 psi on dyno only, no 1/4 miler ...
Message from the shop reads "looks like one layer of the HG is pushing out".

Attachments

• felpro hg.jpeg
    felpro hg.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 157
I will drop by the shop in a few days to take a better photo...This photo was sent to me by the
tuner.

To my eye it doesn't look like the gasket tis pushing out, and ofy it is where I think they're referencing, then you'd have some major issues presenting. I think that's just the edge of the cylinder head and it happens to be dark there.

On my second Felpro MLS ...While still sealing ,,,,it seems to be dissolving somehow..About 7000 kms on this HG , motor is about 10,000 kms.......Boost is 40 psi on dyno only, no 1/4 miler ...
Message from the shop reads "looks like one layer of the HG is pushing out".
Maybe you blew the thin layer. If so, that's a kind of common weak point of Felpro MLS. One of layers is very thin and easy to fail in some situation. (I am not sure if still there is that thin layer though) The Felpro MLS is a very good head gasket but that's the only reason why I avoid to use it in a high boosted/high temp engine.

I believe the high temp is the cause THEN the high pressure if it isn't clamped down REAL GOOD. I have blown out a MLS turbo to exhaust gasket before and it was because one turbo bolt got loose.

Update!!! Is this HG pushing out??? Should it be changed??

Attachments

• 20200713_221900.jpg
    20200713_221900.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200713_221813.jpg
    20200713_221813.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 131
What are you using for head studs?

I was running 20 psi on a new build and the head was lifting because the head was not torqued enough.

Changed the HG re-torqued the head and didn’t have any problems after. Turned the boost to 30, still no problems.

Using a cosmetic HG by the way with ARP headstuds.

L19 torqued to 110lbs......boost is 40 plus but WG at 39PSI for now.
Breaking new clutch at the moment .....don't want the HG to go during a full power dyno secession.......cams and compressor upgrade along with e85 flexfuel.. setup. requiring retuning.......was at 666hp uncorrected mustang dyno.@39psi....

To my eye it doesn't look like the gasket tis pushing out, and ofy it is where I think they're referencing, then you'd have some major issues presenting. I think that's just the edge of the cylinder head and it happens to be dark there.
I agree. That just looks like the underside of the cylinder head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back