The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fell asleep at the wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreddyGst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2004
San Pablo, California
Been going out a lot lately and not gettin enough sleep...Yesterday night I feel asleep at the wheel for a second or two and hit the car in front of me. My car is pretty beat up and so is my knee...now i'm not sure what to do, part out or just fix it. I'm going to take it apart right now but from the look of it, it isn't that bad. Just need to replace the radiator support, new fender, hood, bumper, headlights and possibly new intercooler and radiator... Here are some pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That sucks man I know how it feels. I fell asleep while driving once while working two jobs. Hit a power pole and cracked it in half, it landed about 5 feet away from our car with sparks everywhere. I also hit a firehydrant, I heard my gas tank was cut in half from jumping the curb. Still paying the medical bills.

I would fix it as long as the cost were not to high. You have a lot invested already, don't give up on it.

Ahh, that was me on the 13th of feb :notgood: Sucks, but forget the car..good your ok and start to take it alittle easier. There have been more than a dozen times I have just wanted to park on the side of the road and hit the sack. Happens to the best of us.

On another note ebay D and H auto parts is where I got my new rad support about 10 days ago. 189 and was here in 4 days. GoodLuck. Keep the messed up stuff for next winters use...thats what Im doing.

Don't sweat it bro. It could of been a lot worst. Just be thankful that no one got seriously hurt or badly injured.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
not the cleanest fastest 2g in the bay!!! ive always looked up to your car and you just made the switch to awd didnt you????

Fix it please! Your car is too sexy to part her out!

Fix it!!!

Don't give up on such a decent 2G just because a fender and a few other things need to be replaced. Find your nuggets and suck it up. I think you'll be happier in the end if you did. :)

oh no, porr carbon fiber bumper :(

It's still too pretty to part out, just start fixing it!

shitty, you shoulda had the windows rolled, and had music playing

thats not a solution, just a quick fix, and when i say fix, say a few more seconds.

luis sorry about the car bro, it coudlve been a lot worse, it definitely looks fixable though, its not too bad from the pics but of course in person im sure looks a lot worse.

the ssac fmic looks like it can take a beating. great to know for us who dont have 5mph bumper support anymore, as the fmic is the support now.

I say fix the car, but I will start the ravenging so what are you going to do with the hood I could fix it paint it and slap it on my car.

Is just that this is my 3rd DSM and I just got this AWD Shell and got it running and this thing happened...

I guess I'm going to repair it. I don't have full coverage, just liability so everything is coming outta my own pocket... If someone has this parts (passenger fender, bumper, hood) PM me about it.

Yea Matt, sucks to hear what happen to your car and now is my turn...I'll PM you to get info and what to do since your repairing your car.

thats not a solution, just a quick fix, and when i say fix, say a few more seconds.

luis sorry about the car bro, it coudlve been a lot worse, it definitely looks fixable though, its not too bad from the pics but of course in person im sure looks a lot worse.

the ssac fmic looks like it can take a beating. great to know for us who dont have 5mph bumper support anymore, as the fmic is the support now.

Yea, could be a lot worse considering I didn't have the bumper support. I was probably going around 15mph. The SSAC Fmic can take a beating but after pulling out the front bumper the intercooler is messed up and so is my radiator.

As for the CF Evo style hood, the latch connection came off but other than that the hood is good... I'm going to take it out and put stock hood for the time being. If someone is interested, PM me.

Shit, that was me only months ago. Makes me sad to see it again :cry: Glad you're ok. I went ahead and fixed it myself, I had similiar damage. Took some time but it saved a LOT of money, plus I didn't want to report as my accident happened in a canyon (spun and hit the wall when I went through some dust). I too ordered the radiator support from ebay, spray painted and mounted it myself. I also got an OEM replacement headlight from ebay. Before and after pics below. Hopefully this can inspire you to get it fixed and maybe do it yourself. I haven't taken the time to line everything up perfectly especially the headlights, but I'm waiting until I get a real OEM bumper before I perfect everything.

Before:

After:

Cool, thanks for the input. Does inspire me to just fix it. I'm going to look at the ebay radiator support and start saving money for the paint job and misc aftermarket parts I'm gonna have to replace.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I just gotta cut my current damage radiator support and weld the new ebay one?

Mine took the direct hit right on the rock and while the whole thing is twisted about 4 or 5 mm and the bracket bent, thats all that happend. I was sure it would be ruined. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=151142334&postcount=36

Yea Matt, sucks to hear what happen to your car and now is my turn...I'll PM you to get info and what to do since your repairing your car.
Yes, just ask...I, also would not pay more than 50 for a fender. call around theres more than enough cars in junkyards to get this done. Heres the great guy I got my support from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITS...ryZ42611QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cool, thanks for the input. Does inspire me to just fix it. I'm going to look at the ebay radiator support and start saving money for the paint job and misc aftermarket parts I'm gonna have to replace.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I just gotta cut my current damage radiator support and weld the new ebay one?

Yep, You drill out the old tack welds and then I think theres 2 or 3 bolts on the driver side near the light and then the 2 cross member bolts. Keep us posted, and also heres a link to the guy on ebay I got my hood from...you can see in my thread how well it was packaged and how soon it arrived as well. I offerd him 26 less than his asking price and he took it in a heart beat. You could probably knock off close to 40 or 50...its worth a shot. Heres the link to all his 2G hoods anyway. Keep us posted.http://motors.search.ebay.com/searc...=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Also, this guy here sold me my fender and stillen bumper local...he was an awesome guy and is trustworty and happens to have a great deal on a FMIC, PIPING and SSQV I would check that out if you were looking. http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=58294&cat=7

Soooooooooooooo, Luis.... What did you crash into (the type of car, that is)?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back