The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

feels like fuel cuts out when really getting on it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98egsx

Probationary Member
Aug 6, 2010
cato, New_York
Ok so just recently I got a 95 gsx.I have been having an issue when you go to really get on it. The car feels as if the fuel just cuts out completely so I started looking under the hood and the previous owners had installed some piping from a saab on don't ask how but it was just all cobbed together bad.so I took it all out and installed the piping on the car that I had on my other car.test drove car and it seemed a little better but still does it im lost on the whole thing I repaired everything been that was wrong with that the previous owners had screwed around with. If someone can give me so advice that would be greatly appreciated and now I have not done a boost leak test which will be probalby my nest step

Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? If so what psi are you running and on what turbo? A mods list would help greatly.

Boost leak test will be a big one too. More than likely you're overboosting and just hitting fuel cut.

I have one just not installed at the moment its in my other which im going to be installing here very shortly and the turbo I believe is the stock t25 and the only mods I know of are a full 3 inch exhaust injen intake hks bov

Ok yeah I will have to do some testing later on today when I get home Im hoping all it is just a boost leak

Ok yeah I will have to do some testing later on today when I get home Im hoping all it is just a boost leak

Id start with the simple things....since your turbo is stock start with the basics...fuel pump surge, fuel filter, catalytic blockages, etc....do a full tune up since you just bought the car...all filters, plugs, check wires and make sure the hoses you put on are proper and no vacuum blockages...one of the vehicles i bought was doing the same thing, and when i found the problem someone had tried to gut the cat rather than replace it so there were chunks inside it blocking the exhaust, it also had a three inch down to a 2.5 inch conversion at the cat...when i put my hi flow on the problem was gone...and check for stiff wires around the throttles electrical response (tps) as above you may be throwing more air faster than fuel...and cutting out...i hope it is a start dont give up

Id start with the simple things....since your turbo is stock start with the basics...fuel pump surge, fuel filter, catalytic blockages, etc....do a full tune up since you just bought the car...all filters, plugs, check wires and make sure the hoses you put on are proper and no vacuum blockages...one of the vehicles i bought was doing the same thing, and when i found the problem someone had tried to gut the cat rather than replace it so there were chunks inside it blocking the exhaust, it also had a three inch down to a 2.5 inch conversion at the cat...when i put my hi flow on the problem was gone...and check for stiff wires around the throttles electrical response (tps) as above you may be throwing more air faster than fuel...and cutting out...i hope it is a start dont give up

That's terrible advice, mostly because it's confusing, includes a ton of things that are far down the list, and doesn't emphasize the first thing that needs to be checked.

Seriously, people. When someone posts a problem of this sort, you say one and only one thing: do a boost-leak check. We should not start clouding the issue with all the low-probability issues that might be causing the problem until the OP has checked the one thing that is most likely to be the problem. In other words, please stop being clever; in fact, don't even continue the thread unless and until the OP comes back and says that he or she has done a boost-leak check.

Pretty please.

ok so i was not able to do a boost leak test yet.but on the other hand my turbo just blew apart car started smoking and was not boosting,pulled turbo found shaft broken :( so i installed a tdo5h turbo on the car i now also have a apexi safc2 on the car i have isntalled.so since i have done those two things the car has not been running so roungh it seemed like the stock turbo was overboosting itself but im not sure.i was messing around with the controller and found when i bump the boost up it cuts out but when i put it down the car actually seems to be running ok.but does cut out a little so anymore advice would be great

sigh

If you blew the old turbo by spinning it to death trying to produce X boost when there's a leak, then you're going to blow the new turbo, too.

I wish you luck, but I'd done with this until you report the results of a boost-leak test.

well hopefully tomorrow when i bring the car to work i will be able to do a boost leak test.the thing is with the old turbo i believe there was something wrong with it in the beginning because as soon as i had started to drive the car the first time the turbo did not seem right.and unfortunately i was not able to check it due to working and hunting LOL

That's terrible advice, mostly because it's confusing, includes a ton of things that are far down the list, and doesn't emphasize the first thing that needs to be checked.

Seriously, people. When someone posts a problem of this sort, you say one and only one thing: do a boost-leak check. We should not start clouding the issue with all the low-probability issues that might be causing the problem until the OP has checked the one thing that is most likely to be the problem. In other words, please stop being clever; in fact, don't even continue the thread unless and until the OP comes back and says that he or she has done a boost-leak check.

Pretty please.

+1 These issues are usually solved in simpler ways than what was suggested. I would check how much you are boosting (did he install an inadequate boost controller?), do a BLT, and if that doesn't help let us know.

Good luck :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back