The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Fastest Way to Fix the Most Common Reason for Brake Lights NotTurning Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are your brake lights stuck on? Even with the key out of the ignition. The most common cause is the brake pedal lever is no longer pushing the brake light switch in far enough. Why? There is a rubber pad on the brake pad lever that deteriorates and falls to pieces over time. The pad pushes the switch in an extra 0.25 inch or so. This turns the brake lights off. For extra credit see if there are bits of blue rubber on your driver side floor mat.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok now the easiest fastest way to fix it.

The switch is visible in the upper middle of the photo with green and red wires exiting the switch. To the right of the switch is the standard golf tee that fits perfectly in the hole on the brake lever. This one is wood. Plastic would probably be even better.

The above two images show that the golf tee is the right height and indeed turns the brakes off and on correctly when my 12 year old son presses and releases the brake pedal.
Enjoy pizza and beer with the time you saved.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh. Between you and the taxi driver that delivered me beer this weekend I am not sure who I think is more amazing!?!! First of all, I hadn't driven my 99 Eclipse since the pandemic because I wasn't paying insurance on 2 vehicles and barely driving anywhere. Well, I finally put the car on the road, I've driven about 300 miles and went to a drive thru oil change and all of a sudden my brake lights were stuck on and my battery was dead. I thought they did something during the service and I was going to be chasing wires for a dogs age.

My beer delivery came with the suggestion that it was probably a brake switch under the pedal and I never thought of that. And here is your thread full of awesome. I run out to my car tonight and low and behold, bits of blue busted plastic on my floor LOL Serious you have turned my totally bummed out week thinking the worst into such a great feeling of relief. I will be enjoying my car for the summer after all, thanks to you guys and your genius fix....so awesome!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back