The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Fastest HX40 cars, Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone on here machined one of the generic t3 or t4 housings you can buy from ebay made for t67's or bw turbos? They come in just about ever a/r you could want and they're cheap enough to justify machining costs. I'd like to see how much power could be gained from going with an open housing slightly larger than the .70 bep.

I'd like to see how much power could be gained from going with an open housing slightly larger than the .70 bep.
The .70 Bullseye housings work very well for their size....don't let the smallish ".70" tag fool you. We had a .82 Garrett housing machined for this past season the same as richard33 and while the turbo is flowing better it's not like we gained a ton of MPH on top or anything.

Concerning the average user- if you're not wringing the turbo for all it's worth and trying to get every last inch of flow out of it, the .70 Bullseye housing is all you'll ever need. For a street car a .82 or larger single-scroll housing may add more lag than you'll stand to gain in airflow.

The .70 Bullseye housings work very well for their size....don't let the smallish ".70" tag fool you. We had a .82 Garrett housing machined for this past season the same as richard33 and while the turbo is flowing better it's not like we gained a ton of MPH on top or anything.

Concerning the average user- if you're not wringing the turbo for all it's worth and trying to get every last inch of flow out of it, the .70 Bullseye housing is all you'll ever need. For a street car a .82 or larger single-scroll housing may add more lag than you'll stand to gain in airflow.

Would the t3 Hx35 TS 14cm hotside be a good balancing point spool/flow? Funny this thread came up at the exact moment im planing a hx40 build.

As Justin said I switched to the precision .82ar backhousing. It didn't make anymore power on the dyno but the car seems to like it. I made one clean pass so far with it and went 9.6@144 on a 90* day. Also like Justin said, the t3 bep housing is perfectly fine for most. The .82 created another 500 or more rpm of lag. I don't see full boost till about 6k which really sucks on the street.

I'm Running a Holset hx40 with a Bep .70ar housing.. Its a hybrid with a billet 67mm compressor wheel and a 65mm turbine. I have been very impressed with this turbo. I didn't even have an hx40 core to send them. I just sent them my Bep housing and for around $650 they sent me back the complete turbo. They said it should flow 89lbs/MIN. I'm very happy with this turbo.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

jakelandry... I've machined over a dozen t3 and t4 housings for other people as well as my own turbo to make a garrett turbine housing hold a holset CHRA/compressor , mine is over the 50k mile mark now and still going well.. I used about .007" more clearance on the blade to housing clearance than what the holset originally was setup with.... basically just used safe numbers from what I learned way back in the day at Majestic turbo leanrning to machine housings. it works well I love mine and everyone I've done one for in the past seemed to be as satisfied as I was with mine.. go for it!!

I'm Running a Holset hx40 with a Bep .70ar housing.. Its a hybrid with a billet 67mm compressor wheel and a 65mm turbine. I have been very impressed with this turbo. I didn't even have an hx40 core to send them. I just sent them my Bep housing and for around $650 they sent me back the complete turbo. They said it should flow 89lbs/MIN. I'm very happy with this turbo.
This is the coolest thing I've seen in my life LOL. But quick question. When you say "they", who exactly are you referring to? I may have missed it somewhere.

It's nice to hear some actual results. The reason I originally asked about the housings is a p trim housing is only about 100 dollars. Even after machining they're still cheaper than the .70 and you'd have more options. I've planned on moving up to the .70 for a couple years now, just figured I'd see if anyone had any results with some housings in the .80 range since a lot of the holset hype has died down in recent years aside from Daves car.

Hey TurboGlenn,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the standard blade to turbine housing clearance on the Holsets? If I remember correctly, both my HY35 and HE351CW had .02" per side, is that correct? But that might have been the compressor side, I don't remember measuring the turbine side.

Also, are there different clearances for each, the compressor side vs. the turbine side? I figured there might be since one is aluminum and the other SiMo cast iron with them expanding and contracting at different rates.

Thanks

jakelandry... I've machined over a dozen t3 and t4 housings for other people as well as my own turbo to make a garrett turbine housing hold a holset CHRA/compressor , mine is over the 50k mile mark now and still going well.. I used about .007" more clearance on the blade to housing clearance than what the holset originally was setup with.... basically just used safe numbers from what I learned way back in the day at Majestic turbo leanrning to machine housings. it works well I love mine and everyone I've done one for in the past seemed to be as satisfied as I was with mine.. go for it!!

They said it should flow 89lbs/MIN.
Wondering what info this is based on regarding airflow accuracy, boost pressure, etc.

Dave's 66/84/86.6mm extended-tip KTS compressor just logged over 80 lb/min at 40psi for the very first time at the tail end of this past season...and that's with about the best-flowing turbine wheel and T3 turbine housing available for such a compressor used in a Holset on a car with about the best supporting mods being utilized. I find it hard to believe the 67/89mm wheel is SO much of an improvement that it's worth another 9 lb/min of airflow.

I couldn't be certain without digging out my notes, but off the top of my head I want to say I ended up with a blade to turbine housing clearance of about .017" total with the clearance I said I added for the extra heat from the gasoline engine... I could be way though as it's been a couple years since I machined the last one and my notes are buried in boxes as I've moved half way across the country since then as well. I'm taking the turbo of to swap the bearings in the chra so I'll re measure for you if nothing else

This is the coolest thing I've seen in my life LOL. But quick question. When you say "they", who exactly are you referring to? I may have missed it somewhere.
Thanks Bud. Sorry I was referring to turbo lab.

Wondering what info this is based on regarding airflow accuracy, boost pressure, etc.

Dave's 66/84/86.6mm extended-tip KTS compressor just logged over 80 lb/min at 40psi for the very first time at the tail end of this past season...and that's with about the best-flowing turbine wheel and T3 turbine housing available for such a compressor used in a Holset on a car with about the best supporting mods being utilized. I find it hard to believe the 67/89mm wheel is SO much of an improvement that it's worth another 9 lb/min of airflow.

I got the info from turbo lab. That's what I was told. I do know that I am the first one to run this turbo and they told me to hold out a month and they would send a much improved version over there previous one. So I did.. I believe this is based on air flow alone.

@AWD Sebring, how much boost were you running on the dyno? What's the spool time with the larger wheel?

Btw, love the car, total sleeper.
The boost spiked to 42 and fell to 40. It spools right around 5,400. and thanks I appreciate it..

Got mine in from Justin, I went with the Billet Extended Tip KTS wheel, The Turbo looks great its amazing what these go for... Should be getting my 320$ brand new .70ar BEP housing in from Extremepsi this week and then it's time to Bolt this bad boy up and fab my downpipe.

Hotside came, I mocked up the turbo today it seems to fit pretty well besides slightly kissing the block with the hotside, I'm using a eBay/punishment budget T3 Manifold that I've beefed up with a MiG welder... Drain line/downpipe fab is the next herdle.

Looks like a great piece. I'm yet to be disappointed by what I've seen come from Justin. I've been keeping my eyes on the classifieds to pick up an hx40 so I can also do some business with him. Can't wait for the next update :thumb:

wow that's awesome!! Such a unique set up.

Finally got everything finished and drove the car around, all I can say is wow... Glad to be back on a T3 decent size turbo, she's got top end again and even on pump gas only 25psi its stronger than the red on Q16 and 35psi, Dsm hotsides just don't make any top end power and it is extremely evident to me once again... Hoping I can squeeze 140MPH out of this girl.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back