The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Fastest, Easiest way to remove Alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generation1JeY

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 5, 2004
San Diego, California
Ok tommorrow i'm replacing my alternator, and today after looking at the one already in my car it doesnt look vey easy to remove. I'm wondering is there a certain way to take it out that works the best? like from the bottom by just taking off the oil filter? or from the top and take off the power steering?

I'll also be replacing the power steering belt tommorrow so i might have to take off the power steering anyways, but i dont know exactly how to do that either. That i can figure out though, i'm just wondering the easiest way to take alternator out. Thx

-Jordan

Remove the P/S pump from the top, then jack up the car, remove the wheel, and remove the inner splash shield to remove the alt. :thumb:

Do you have a service manual of some sort? I have a haynes manual and a 93 TSi AWD. I followed the alternator instructions exactly and it came out in maybe 1 1/2 hours, including jacking it up with a crappy jack. Ir really isn't that hard if you have a manual. Good luck. PM me if you need the details from Haynes.
Good Luck with your project.

--Kyle :talon:

LOL 1g alternators take less than an hour. Either remove the PS pump or the radiator ( good time to flush your fluids :) ) then the drivers wheel obviously. after that, its a woppin 15 minutes or so. make sure you ft lb torque it to spec, im sorry i dont remember the exact number off hand.

unless AWD is VERY different from FWD.... then forget most of what i said. same principle tho im sure.

Fastest and easiest? C-4.

Sorry, had fun last night at work playing with that stuff....

Mike :laser:

I would just remove the drivers side rad fan, and get to work. I have never removed the PS pump for this job...nor the rad.

DiabloRT said:
I would just remove the drivers side rad fan, and get to work. I have never removed the PS pump for this job...nor the rad.

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner.. Yup thats the easiest way that i've seen and done

DiabloRT said:
Yup, my A/C fan is gone and I can change alternators in probably 20 minutes now.

alright thanx for all ur help guys i'll try getting it out just by removing the radiator fan, if it dosnt work like that i'll try whatever works i guess, i just dont wanna paint myself into a corner by taking all this crap out just to get it out and not know how to reassemble any of it.

alright thanx for all ur help guys i'll try getting it out just by removing the radiator fan, if it dosnt work like that i'll try whatever works i guess, i just dont wanna paint myself into a corner by taking all this crap out just to get it out and not know how to reassemble any of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back