The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fast 420a pics, progress, and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reborn750

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2010
Brookings, South_Dakota
Well im sure i wont get a whole lot of respect because of the motor in my dsm but its what i had to work with and ive put alot of hard work, money, and time into it which alot of you can respect. I traded the car for a bike i built (bought it back later for $800 cause the PO was going to jail) and it was a great starting point for my build. I got it home barely after almost losing it on the trailer when a tow strap broke. I immediately removed the spoiler and all stickers/vinyls on the sides, nightshaded the ### euro style taillights, painted the rims gloss black, tinted the windows, and began my build. The car originally ran, but only when in neutral. Once in gear it would only sputter and die. PO said it was a bad ecu, and after megasquirt install it does not have this problem any longer.

Mods done by previous owner:

Eagle rods
Wiseco Pistons
Crower Stage 2 cams
PT cruiser valvetrain
Ported head
Lightweight Clutch
Short throw
underdrive pulley
adjustable cam gears
A/C delete
Coilovers (sits reallly low)
interior of hatch was gutted
CF hood

Parts i purchased right away:

Cheap ebay turbo parts- Manifold, turbo, intercooler, wastegat, BOV, piping
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
1200cc RC fuel injectors (will be running e-85)
standalone megasquirt ECU/voltage regulator/sensors from symtech

Mods ive done-

Test pipe to replace cat
got car running completely standalone, still needs a good tune
Removed entire factory wiring harness
Gutted entire car from the drivers/passenger seats back
Cut out trunk and replaced with sheetmetal cause spare tirewell was rusty
Custom bottom brace brackets to hold rear bumper after removing trunk
A-pillar, and put guages in HVAC knob holes
Removed power steering, cruise control, and ABS
Crown Royal bag shift boot

Weight Reduction:

All molding and carpet other than up front was removed
rear seats removed
rear wiper and motor removed
entire trunk/spare tire hole cut out and replaced with sheetmetal
CF hood
sound deadening material removed
A/C, power steering, ABS, and cruise control removed
pulled dash off to remove all HVAC plumbing, heater core, A/c unit, and everything under the dash heating and cooling related. It cleared up a ton of room and saved right at 40 pounds.
rear spoiler removed
rear speakers removed
probably more im forgetting

COming soon:

Downpipe
Drag Radials
Fine Tune ECU

Future:

tubular exh manifold
better turbo/bov/wastegat to replace cheap ebay parts
LSD
tougher axles

Only questions i have are how big of an issue is traction going to be with a light FWD car on drag radials? Also i plan on running 15-18lbs of boost on e-85, does anybody have any guesstimate as to what kind of power numbers i can expect?

Here are some pictures, i will get some better quality pics soon and get the car outa the garage

Attachments

• eclipse10.jpg
    eclipse10.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 54
  • eclipse11.jpg
    eclipse11.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 46
  • eclipse20.jpg
    eclipse20.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 48
  • eclipse21.jpg
    eclipse21.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 46
  • walbro.jpg
    walbro.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 46
  • rc inj.jpg
    rc inj.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 40
  • fmic2.jpg
    fmic2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 52
  • fmic.jpg
    fmic.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 47
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 46
I'm liking it all so far keep up the good work!

p.s. surprisingly I don't mind the crown royal shift boot, way to be original :thumb:

I don't know why you wouldn't be respected, but for the love of all that is decent please do not be one of those people who uses an alcoholic beverage bag as a shift knob, or something of it's equivalent. It is so ricey.

Nice looking car. Seems like you know what the hell you are doing and are going to make the most out of the 420a. Not my favourite engine but shit I freaking hate honduhs and and I have seen some of those that I would give props.

Looks like you saved it. I really like that color red with the nightshaded tails.

Only thing I dont like is the crown royal shift boot. Its kind of wanna be gangsta ish to me. Only people I see doing that are people who act hardcore but arent, or dbags with fake tans and too much gel in their hair.

Your gonna want to look into a real LSD if your pushing more than 200 whp. I was spinning the #### out of tires in my stock 2g GST. I mean stock... It even had the full airbox.

Of course those were goodyear all weathers. So I think you might be good to around 250.

I have seen people pushing 275-280 on the stock block 420a with a good tune and meth.

You could probably take it up 350-400 whp if your that crazy. Your def gonna want some beefcake axels, LSD, and wide slicks the more power you make.

ricey? i think it turned out great and works very well with the purple (barcelona red) exterior and tan interior, kinda matches the purple and gold of the crown royal bag. To me it looks far from ricey. And thanks, i was only worried before because i get alot of shit from other dsm guys becuase they dont respect anything thats not a 4g63. I originally bought the car to use as a daily driver so i dont have to drive my 86 monte carlo ss everyday, plans for that are a low compression, big cube small block, twin turbo

Last edited:
420 is a good motor. Lots of people think its shit and the same one as in the neons. Those people are idiots. Its your car and if you like the crown royale bag then ignore what others say about it.

I like the rest of the car, I can deal the crown bag. Though, if you were a friend of mine in real life. I would joke on yah endlessly :D

I love my 420a car. Just because I also got a GST doesn't make me love it any less. It hasnt ever left me stranded regardless of what was wrong with it ( even when the bearings in the trans for first and second gear exploded it was driveable for a month afterwards) I have no plans to get rid of it. It's the car that has gotten me addicted to the 2gs. Fixing to pick up a second GST as well, Imma have a FLEET!!!!! :D

I love my 420a car. Just because I also got a GST doesn't make me love it any less. It hasnt ever left me stranded regardless of what was wrong with it ( even when the bearings in the trans for first and second gear exploded it was driveable for a month afterwards) I have no plans to get rid of it. It's the car that has gotten me addicted to the 2gs. Fixing to pick up a second GST as well, Imma have a FLEET!!!!! :D

8 in under a year and never spent over $400 for one, 3 of which have been AWD. Beat that. ;3

8 in under a year and never spent over $400 for one, 3 of which have been AWD. Beat that. ;3

I want to know where you find your cars... and sign me up for about 3, and make em awd's preferrably :p

Yeah really.. Why would you think we wouldnt respect you because of your motor? You have a great build going on man. Mad props.

I want to know where you find your cars... and sign me up for about 3, and make em awd's preferrably :p

$25 says I find 4 in your area before the day is over. Deal?

$25 says I find 4 in your area before the day is over. Deal?

okay, i rape craigslist daily. I find alot of non-turbo cars buy no cheat 4g63's. south dakota doesnt have a whole lot to search through

okay, i rape craigslist daily. I find alot of non-turbo cars buy no cheat 4g63's. south dakota doesnt have a whole lot to search through

Gotta be willing to travel a bit, and be luckly like myself.

COming soon:

Drag Radials

Future:

tubular exh manifold
better turbo/bov/wastegat to replace cheap ebay parts
LSD
tougher axles

Only questions i have are how big of an issue is traction going to be with a light FWD car on drag radials? Also i plan on running 15-18lbs of boost on e-85, does anybody have any guesstimate as to what kind of power numbers i can expect?

The things I bolded should be first on your list if you are worried about traction, which you should be. Look at it this way, I am pushing 150whp, with street tires, if i launch above 2750ish, I am spinning tires (open diff). With drag slicks on, I could dump the clutch at 4700ish, much more than that and i would have to slip it. With the kind of HP you want, you will need bare minimum LSD, I've herd it improves our FWD tenfold(that may be a tad bit of an exaggeration). for LSDs quafie is king, or god, godking, but I have herd many a good things about OBX AS LONG AS you have it rebuilt/reworked, aka replace the washers and bolts, shaving the burrs, torquing properly and etc.

Also, for you axles, the drag radials will help take away some of the punishment on the axles, aka the rubber will absorb most of the impact as opposed to your drivetrain, just another thing to consider.

Lastly, my final thought, gutting a car is pointless unless its a dedicated track/strip car. Doing that for a DD, is kind of dumb IMO. Regardless looks good, and best of luck.
+1 for night shading the euros!

He'll be hard pressed to find one around the area. I spent 5 months looking and finally drove 5 hours for one (which I traded my rocket for). Minnesota really ruins any chance of finding a good starting build since they salt the roads.

We haven't met, have we? :p I'll start looking in a short bit.

More Pics!!!! and dont hate on the license plate, its a long story but has a reason behind it. and yes the nightshaded tails look a million times better than the horrible euro's. I drove it out of the garge for these pics, but i have yet to do a test drive since i have no downpipe.

Attachments

• eclipse12.jpg
    eclipse12.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 224
  • eclipse13.jpg
    eclipse13.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 224
  • eclipse14.jpg
    eclipse14.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 223
  • eclipse15.jpg
    eclipse15.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 226
Put the front bumper on today, took alot of cutting to get it to fit over the intercooler but looks great i think. Gota paint it sooner or later

Attachments

• eclipse16.jpg
    eclipse16.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 38
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back