The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fast 14B FWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sYnOnYx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2005
Las Vegas, Nevada
i see alot of threads on people wanting to make their 14b dsms fast , well heres a link i found awhile ago on a guy that hit a very good time on his. heres the site link and mod list. you could even trim quite a few things off of the list. just trying to give you guys some hope , but in my experience , my 14b didnt last long once i started boosting it higher.

good luck 14b heads

http://www.94tsiawd.com/Goodwill1.html

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo $562.25
Used 14b Turbo $100.00
1 Gallon Fuel Cell FREEBIE!!
Ported 2g Manifold $50.00
Relay $4.99
Passenger Axle $52.00
Walbro external Fuel pump $100.00
Russel Fuel filter FREEBIE!!
SX Fuel Regulator $52.00
Timing Belt $15.99
Manifold Gasket $5.98
Rear Main $12.48
Water Pump $39.98
Timing cover gasket set $12.48
Symbroski shift kit - washers FREEBIE!!
ACT 2600 $150.00
24" Slicks $120.00
15" Wheels $50.00
3" Aluminized Mandrel O2 housing and Downpipe $245.00
Joe P Manual Boost Controller $45.00
Brass Shift lever bushings $25.00
K&N Filter $6.00
8000 RPM Tach $25.00
RJS 5 point harness $25.00
Solid steel front motor mount $1.30
Spare Change found in car -$1.53
Hood Pins $12.00
Underdrive pulley $50.00
Weld Draglite skinnys $250.00
M/T ET Fronts $120.00
92 Geo Metro Radiator $60
Radiator hoses $20.00
eBay coil overs $39.95
Racing steering wheel $90.00
wheel hub $17.00
HKS cam gears $150.00
used head with SS valves $100.00
Fel-Pro Head gasket $23.00
lexan for windows $170.00
aluminum for door panels $10.00
rivets $3.00
ARP head studs $72.00
Extrude Honed Intake Manifold $195.00
NGK Wires $40.00
N/T Throttle body $35.00
PWR 10" x 6" Liquid to air intercooler $570.00
3" Mandrel bends for Piping $30.00
3" couplers $40.00
3" Clamps $15.00
Lexan Hatch with wing $150.00
Haltech E6X with sensors $650.00
Aluminum dash $100.00
Race Seat $50.00
Pump for Liquid to Air $28.00
Water hose and clamps $12.00
Water Box Material and TIG work $110.00
Stewart Warner Gauges $150.00
PLX Wideband with gauge $389.00
Aluminum for floor $20.00
Front aluminum and intake pipe $20.00
Painless Switch Panel $60.00
=$5549

after reading this , it should be easy for most of us to hit 12's ( my goal ) but i have a big 16g now. but i hope most of you get as inspiried as i am after reading this.

they own a shop , so their ###### getting it all wholesale.

im suprised more ppl havent replied.

sYnOnYx said:

Who owns a shop?
Nothing on that list was bought wholesale.

sYnOnYx said:

Where do you people get this stuff? He's on the staff of tampabay.dsm.org, he's a local. I've met him. He's not from any shop, he's just doing this for the fun of it.

And hell, hitting 12's on a 14b is cake. I did a 12.8 on 15 pounds of boost, stock sidemount, and pump gas, completely untuned (stock fuel and timing maps). I'll be in the low 12's the next time out, still on the sidemount.

Yea but your AWD buddy. Us FWD's need alittle more help and driver skill to even try and keep tires from spinning through traps. BTW I will trade my litely modded 1997 GST for a 1g AWD straight-up.... Any takers?

True. Of course, going back to the very reason the thread starter posted this thread, look at the sixties Goodwill is cutting. Some decent-sized slicks and stiff motor mounts can make a world of difference. Can't get away with the kind of crappy tires I have on my car on a FWD.

Hah true that. I don't have any rubber on my upper motor mount, bald Ventus HRII's, and open differential. I can't get below a 2.4 60.

Caith,
you must be one HELL of a driver to be hitting 12.7 on only 15 lbs and PUMP gas with NO tune.
cmon now. What else is going on there? Your car weight next to nothing or what?

I pulled a 12.9 at 107 on c16 and a 14b spiking to 24lbs.
I cant imagine doing it with 15 psi, a heavy AWD car, and with what sound like no other mods... not even a tune. :p

What were your 60' times ect?
I'm just wondering

p.s Project good will was started as a project to see how much it would take to hit 12's with stock turbo and very minimal mods. Since then it has become an inspirational car cuttin amazing time. It has also seem many upgrades too though, and isn't as much of a "budget" race car as it used to be.

Brief history of project goodwill:
I found this car at goodwill one day.
Went and checked it out with a friend of mine Mike Knott.
I had a few dsm`s and had no real need for it aside for buying it and selling for profit.
But Mike was looking to start a new project as was Joe who had about 6 months or so earlier sold of his beautiful talon http://www.94tsiawd.com/94tsiawd.html . It started as a joint venture between these two to go fast and have fun with a minimal investment. About a year ago Mike went on to a different project and Joe kept on by himself.
Getting the 14b record and reconition was all a bonus of just having fun with a simple plan and not alot of money.
It is down for some changes right now but it will be back with some new surprises soon. Same goes for my Galant.:sneaky:

I will also vouch for Jordan (caithness)and his times he posted.
I have seen him do it with my own eyes.

GotTurbo11 said:
Caith,
you must be one HELL of a driver to be hitting 12.7 on only 15 lbs and PUMP gas with NO tune.
cmon now. What else is going on there? Your car weight next to nothing or what?

I pulled a 12.9 at 107 on c16 and a 14b spiking to 24lbs.
I cant imagine doing it with 15 psi, a heavy AWD car, and with what sound like no other mods... not even a tune. :p

What were your 60' times ect?
I'm just wondering

Check my profile, I have a listing of all of my mods in there. Also, click on the timeslip link, I've got my three timeslips from the last time I was out to the track. I'd hardly say it was great driving, if you look at my race gas runs I've seen people do low 12's on the same MPH. My sixty was simply average on the pump gas run, 1.73. Bit of spin which is weird because I have my stutter rpm set to dead hook on the street- odd that I get less traction at the track. Race gas runs were hopeless this way, 1.8 sixties, spin, wheelhop. My car is on 14" steelies and the tires were the 49.99 special a few years ago so even AWD can't save me sometimes. Did get some decent shifts with the no-lift, though I'm still slow into second- old habit from the un-rebuilt tranny days.

Anyway, the car is hardly a lightweight but I do have some weight out of it. Full interior minus back seats, gave away the spare tire, I have manual seatbelts, no sound deadening under the carpet/firewall, the under car heatshields are gone, and no front bumper (I've got a JRC IC ready to mount there when I can afford to pipe it :D). I usually run around with a stock catback/e-cutout combo but I dropped the catback for the track. I do have a stereo/amp, however.

Those runs weren't really a good indicator of what the car can do. Boost was dropping off really badly at higher rpm- I figured out that all of the turbo to manifold bolts were loose, after the last run of the night of course. Just torqued them a week before, too, go figure. It should run better without a massive exhaust leak before the turbo. Oh, and I've been messing around with the fuel and timing since then, as well. :)

Back on topic, I think a lot of FWD guys could be running much faster times and having a lot more fun at the strip if they'd go ahead and bolt on some traction in the form of good slicks. There is a purist appeal to trying to eke out the best sixty on street tires and I've seen some really ass-kicking drivers who have mastered FWD launches on street tires. Me, if I had a FWD, I'd go for all the traction I could stuff under my fenders in big, sticky tire form at the track. :) I've seen what they can do for other FWD cars- the same track day I was running at was invaded by a group of Hondas putting some decent power down, and they were coming out of the hole with enough authority to run some good times instead of just spinning.

my bad about the shop thing, i was misinformed.

anyways,

i have a set of good slicks , its all about putting the power to the ground if your fwd , beacuse all i do now is spin spin spin. but thats on street tires, i have yet to put on the slicks and give her a run.

Thanks for the good comments guys. I'm glad people are still interested in this. I'm still working on it!

It is down right now getting a while new drivetrain including built motor and tranny. It will get the 14b treatment one more time, but this time with a 7cm turbine housing.

Just to clear it up, The only "shop" I own is in my garage. It is not a business. Just my house. I have no Wholesale connections and everything I have bought for the car was off eBay, used locally of just plain full price. It wouldn't be hard to find all the parts I have bought for this car for even cheaper than I did. There are a lot of things you could skip that wouldnt hurt the performance of this car.

The REAL price to run 10s was $5500. The cost to improve on that is going up quickly. This isn't exactly a budget car anymore, but I won't be surprised to see it run 9s for under $10k.

See you at the track in a couple months.

The time under his name is off the bottle, if you look at the most recent page on his site he ran a 10.6 at 131 on the bottle.

I'd recommend reading his site if anything is unclear to you.

I've been following this since they broke the old 14b record, Joe Bucci has done an incredible job on this car. Its that inspiration that has me building a 14b drag racecar, I'm hoping to break the 14b AWD record and then chase down 10's. There is alot of work involved and it will take a long time but its a learning experience.

i saw the car in person at last year's shootout. it was at Buschur's shop. amazingly clean and simple car! lots of time went into it, and it shows in the cleanliness! good luck on running 9s!

Jordan is right about the Nitrous/Non-Nitrous times.

Thanks for the good words! I hope to start running the car again on a whole new setup real soon.

Finally, some people talking about fwd. I personally think fwd dsm's can acheive more then people say they can. If you think about it, if a honda can do 10s, so can a fwd dsm. I am personally a fwd guy. Dont get me wrong, i would love an awd but with the broke racer i am, fwd works for me. Project good will just shows all the awd guys that us fwd guys can compete!!! :) .

Mr4G said:
Finally, some people talking about fwd. I personally think fwd dsm's can acheive more then people say they can. If you think about it, if a honda can do 10s, so can a fwd dsm. I am personally a fwd guy. Dont get me wrong, i would love an awd but with the broke racer i am, fwd works for me. Project good will just shows all the awd guys that us fwd guys can compete!!! :) .

I wholeheartedly agree. The FWD platform has excellent traction for being FWD. sub 2.4 60ft times on a FWD are crazy easy and very, very difficult with other FWD performance automobiles.

PO of my car had her down to 13.5 on stock fuel, stock 14B, stock sidemount, stock suspension, 225 street radials, and 2.5" exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back