The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Factory air intake modding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis_rak

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Edmonton_AB_Canada
I looked all over the vfaq and all of that stuff and I can't find an answer to what I'm looking for...

Is it possible to remove my airbox, and clamp on a K&N cone filter to the factory intake piping? Or is the air box so special that I can only drill holes into it?

Naa, take that thing off. Just hook up your K&N to it. They tell you to hack the stock aircan so it'll make a tighter seal around the edge.. but unless you drive on dirt/gravel roads all day long, the chances of you sucking damaging stuff around that edge is pretty unlikely.

Right on, thanks man

I NEVER drive on gravel...it totally ruins vehicles. So needless to say, I wont be sucking in any dust.

You don't happen to know the inner diameter of the factory 2nd gen intake pipe do you??

ps
I am too lazy to look right now...looking for handouts... ;)

Just go to checkers and pick up the universal cone filter for 25 bucks, it has a hose clamp included with it.

Now go to walmart and buy a 3" sewer hose couple (rv sectionAKA motorhome) stick one end in your factory air tube, clamp it down, then stick the cone filter on the other end and clamp it down. done.

I think I'm going to get one of those K&N cones that has the filyer on the enda as well, not just the sides. Xtreme Filter I think its called.

Should I go with the biggest one possible? or just a small cone? or will it even make any difference?

Originally posted by curtis_rak
I think I'm going to get one of those K&N cones that has the filyer on the enda as well, not just the sides. Xtreme Filter I think its called.

Should I go with the biggest one possible? or just a small cone? or will it even make any difference?

Bigger one should pick up a little more air, but make sure the open end of the cone filter(that goes into the pipe) has a clamp on it or it will be a pain and you will have to jb weld it onto the stock intake pipe.

I am planning on using the existing clamp that connect the intake tube to the factory air box, its a nice shiney steel one.

Yes, you use that clamp to clamp onto the 3" hose coupler and then you must clamp the cone filter onto the other end of the hose coupler unless you find a cone filter that slides up into the stock air tube.

i just did this today and it is pretty cool, my engine sounds nicer and it has better pick up, specially when it hits 3 and 4 on the tach...when i took out my stock air box, i looked at it and laughed...

Ok, so how does this differ from the FIPK setup from K&N? I am wondering what you get for the 70 extra bucks you spend above and beyond just the 45 dollar filter?

Originally posted by crazyjoe
Ok, so how does this differ from the FIPK setup from K&N? I am wondering what you get for the 70 extra bucks you spend above and beyond just the 45 dollar filter?

This wont work for the 2g turbos, only 2g NT because the MAS is not round on the 2g turbo so you cant use that coupler to connnect the cone filter and intake pipe. However I believe www.procarparts.com sells and adapter to put a cone filter onto the 2g turbo.

on my avenger i cut the intake tube right after(towards the filter) the flex looking ripples changed my power ban cuz it took those first two bends out, plus it makes a whistling sound now :)
then went to home depot in the gutter section and got a peice of aluminum ($.29) with a 90 degree bend in it and put it beside the filter to make a heat sheild, works great

I put the cone on and my car definately sounds better, and helped high-rpm power a little.

I didn't know you could just cut the intake tube before the ripples. It would definately help...ripples suck ass for air flow. It wont screw anything up?

I put the cone on and my car definately sounds better, and helped high-rpm power a little.

I didn't know you could just cut the intake tube before the ripples. It would definately help...ripples suck ass for air flow. It wont screw anything up?

I'm sure that would be fine, but you wont be able to put your stock intake box back on for the winter or for severe rain or just to turn it back to stock to sell your car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back