The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Facebook's negative impact on car culture and tech info

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All - try and make it a practice to encourage any DSM owner you come across on FB who is discussing tech topics to come here and discuss them. If you come across people doing big things with their cars, advise them to log on here and post a build thread so we can all follow along with their build. If you come across something really cool with their set up, ask them to come here and post a write-up on it. Let them know that here, they are able to take ownership of the direction the DSM community will go, and their contributions will guide others for years to come.

On FB they're simply having conversations that nobody will benefit from a few weeks from now, let alone a few years from now. All of their valuable insights from their DSM journey will eventually be lost forever. If they chronicle their journey here and interact with members here, the next generation of DSMers will benefit immensely.

I see cool car photos on FB and IG all the time. But in forums like this, I learn how those cars were built. I find details about the process that I would never be privy to by just seeing photos on those social networks.

We'll only be able to make a positive impact if everyone constantly invites people in from FB. I do it all the time but I'm also the guy who runs this site, and I think some see that as spam. If you feel as strongly about this as I do, we need you to be active in these efforts daily/weekly. We need to keep building repositories of information that have helped car enthusiasts for decades.

All - try and make it a practice to encourage any DSM owner you come across on FB who is discussing tech topics to come here and discuss them. If you come across people doing big things with their cars, advise them to log on here and post a build thread so we can all follow along with their build. If you come across something really cool with their set up, ask them to come here and post a write-up on it. Let them know that here, they are able to take ownership of the direction the DSM community will go, and their contributions will guide others for years to come.

On FB they're simply having conversations that nobody will benefit from a few weeks from now, let alone a few years from now. All of their valuable insights from their DSM journey will eventually be lost forever. If they chronicle their journey here and interact with members here, the next generation of DSMers will benefit immensely.

I see cool car photos on FB and IG all the time. But in forums like this, I learn how those cars were built. I find details about the process that I would never be privy to by just seeing photos on those social networks.

We'll only be able to make a positive impact if everyone constantly invites people in from FB. I do it all the time but I'm also the guy who runs this site, and I think some see that as spam. If you feel as strongly about this as I do, we need you to be active in these efforts daily/weekly. We need to keep building repositories of information that have helped car enthusiasts for decades.

Totally agree.

About every third reply post I make on a DSM page on FB, I'm pointing them here. I see it happen frequently from a number of people. I don't purposely frequent the pages, but trip across stuff as it pops up on my wall.

Totally agree.

About every third reply post I make on a DSM page on FB, I'm pointing them here. I see it happen frequently from a number of people.
I get that some people will get pissed when you do it - FB has fostered an atmosphere of hyper impatience and instant gratification to a scale we've never seen before. People don't want to wait for answers on forums, they want an answer immediately, so they go to FB, ignoring all of the in depth discussions that have taken place in communities like this over the years. I even see snarky comments like "I don't care what someone wrote about this 15 years ago, I want current info" - even though that historical data is actually still relevant to the questions they have. It's infuriating.

That's why I tend to push more for write-ups on installations and builds more than I do pushing people to come here to ask for help - instead, I link people to some threads or a Google search that contains links to threads here. People are more receptive to that. Many realize they have something to contribute. Getting them to actually do it, well, some people don't have a lot of time, and others don't always care enough about contributing to a living archive for others to benefit from. But some will. And you have to keep trying otherwise we'll eventually lose it all.

I'll keep doing what I can, but I could use some help. Be diligent. Share the importance of what's at stake. Don't allow FB to erode all the great information we've all benefited so much from over the years.

I get that some people will get pissed when you do it - FB has fostered an atmosphere of hyper impatience and instant gratification to a scale we've never seen before. People don't want to wait for answers on forums, they want an answer immediately, so they go to FB, ignoring all of the in depth discussions that have taken place in communities like this over the years. I even see snarky comments like "I don't care what someone wrote about this 15 years ago, I want current info" - even though that historical data is actually still relevant to the questions they have. It's infuriating.

That's why I tend to push more for write-ups on installations and builds more than I do pushing people to come here to ask for help - instead, I link people to some threads or a Google search that contains links to threads here. People are more receptive to that. Many realize they have something to contribute. Getting them to actually do it, well, some people don't have a lot of time, and others don't always care enough about contributing to a living archive for others to benefit from. But some will. And you have to keep trying otherwise we'll eventually lose it all.

I'll keep doing what I can, but I could use some help. Be diligent. Share the importance of what's at stake. Don't allow FB to erode all the great information we've all benefited so much from over the years.
Just a reminder about this post I made 2 years ago. It's still relevant today. Don't help answer questions over on FB. Point them here, and let them know you'll answer the question here so others can benefit from that answer in the future. ;)

@Ludachris ... I have read the entire post from beginning to end and have come to the conclusion you lied to us.
You said and I quote
"I have worked hard to make our site very mobile friendly and will continue to work on ways to improve in that regard"

Sir................................HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE PERFECTION.

@Ludachris ... I have read the entier post from beginning to end and have come to the conclusion you lied to us. You said and I quote
" I have worked hard to make our site very mobile friendly and will continue to work on ways to improve in that regard"
Sir................................HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE PERFECTION.
😄 it ain't perfect, though I appreciate the kind words.

I know I have to make some things a little easier to do - but I also have to be careful not to significantly alter the usability in a way that detracts from the usefulness of the site too. It's a tricky balance - social media platforms make it stupid simple to quickly post content. Yet, to do that in a forum setting can result in a bunch of useless clutter.

Thought it would be worth mentioning in this thread that since it was posted, there is now a built-in Android app available to make mobile browsing and participation a little easier. And before long, iPhone users will FINALLY be able to enable push notifications with the new iOS update. Even more reasons to dump FB and their exploitation of addictive behaviors, manipulative algorithms, and dopamine-hacking social experimentation. Support forums like ours for discussing DSMs and sharing DSM content with the DSM community. ;)

Fb is bad in a lot of ways but good in others. I know my local dsm scene has a fb page where everyone knows everyone no fake names etc etc. Lots of us used to be on tuners here but for some reason everyone went away from it so I followed to keep in contact with the others.
I still always come back to tuners for tech write ups/faq's, but if I don't know how to find what I'm looking for, the search feature doesn't seem to be very useful (maybe I haven't used it enough?). So I end up resorting to Google to sort through the tuners info I'm needing, if that doesn't work I'm off to fb to bug the local dsmer experts.
Just my .02, might be the same for other folks

So I end up resorting to Google to sort through the tuners info I'm needing, if that doesn't work I'm off to fb
Sadly, that’s what I see others doing too. They’ll look for info here but will end up jumping on FB to ask their question. Sometimes they’ll find a post or thread here and will reference it on FB and ask their questions over there about the thread - instead of just replying to the thread here! Which means the topic stops getting chronicled here because the discussion continues over in the FB abyss, where it gets buried and never found again. Illustrating exactly what I described in the first post of this thread.

If people continue doing that, it will have a major negative impact on this site. If you find this site valuable and want to support this site, ask your DSM questions here. Answer questions posted by others, even if they're a bit repetitive. Link to answers for them. Don’t take a thread and ask for opinions about it over on Fecesbook. It’s like calling one of the top DSM vendors and asking them tons of technical questions about your build, getting all kinds of good advice. Then when it comes time to place an order you go and buy your parts from some other place that had cheaper prices (like Amazon or some website with discounted prices), instead of with the shop that gave you all that good advice. You use them for their expertise but you don't reward them with a purchase. Rewarding this site means participating here on the site.

Post, reply, comment, like, share - HERE. Invite your DSM friends to come here and create/update a build thread and share their accomplishments here. Encourage them to share their knowledge here. Explain what this place means to the DSM community. Pick up a shirt and/or some decals. Represent our community and help keep it going for years. FB doesn't need the support. They are the Amazon and we are the specialty family-owned shop that was built specifically for this community. Don't reward them with your DSM content, just so it can disappear into an abyss.

Adding to the posts... I am part of another car forum (Rennlist-Porsches), and it's still very active, far more active than the FB Pages.

I think part of the challenge here is the vehicle platform is sadly past it's glory years! I don't disagree though that FB has been a negative impact on car culture.

I think part of the challenge here is the vehicle platform is sadly past it's glory years!
That will certainly be a challenge. But as you've noticed with Rennlist, it still requires the community as a whole to care enough to keep their discussion topics about Porsches (or in our case, DSMs) in the forums to support the forum's efforts. Community size is less important than devotion to a cause/principle. In my opinion, more and more of the DSM owners out there simply care less about supporting our forum by staying active here.

I see members who praise our forum and point people to it, but at the same time are more active in DSM groups on FB, some even becoming admins of those groups to help keep them moderated... needless to say, the more that trend continues, the shorter the life forums like this will have. And then the only option for the community will be FB.

Well I will be left out. I am a NON-FACEBOOK person. Never had it and never will. It will be lonely here (crickets creeking) talking to myself.......:argue:

I am part of another car forum (Rennlist-Porsches), and it's still very active, far more active than the FB Pages.
I check a few other automotive forums from time to time, and there are some that are still VERY active. It's usually a forum that is run by an enthusiast owner, but some of the active ones are owned by larger corporations. Forums are still great places to interact, and are used daily by a huge number of people. Ignorance is bliss though for all those who live on FB daily, and choose to only use that resource for their automotive community interactions. They think that FB is now the only option available, since it's the center of their universe. I don't know if it's ignorance, arrogance, indifference, or all of the above, but they just believe that FB is the new way of life and choose to devote their time to that platform. Even some who praise our site and point people here regularly. They'll turn around and use FB to discuss DSM topics instead of doing that here.

I suppose that's just how it goes though. People out there also choose to buy cheap quality crap on eBay rather than support craftsman who dedicate their time and skills to creating products for this platform. I'm sure fabricators and business owners who cater to our platform have similar things to say about the mindset of the people who don't care enough to support the people and companies who support our community. It happens all over the place.

I'm thankful that the supporting vendors we have here care enough to continue to support our efforts. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be able to keep our system modernized and updated, and available for you guys. I appreciate our vendors, our supporting members, the moderators, and all those who log in and participate here regularly, sharing their DSM information and updates here, and especially those who make a concerted effort to limit their DSM discussions to our forum and refuse to participate in FB discussions involving DSMs out of principle. Be sure you patronize the vendors who support our efforts, listed at the bottom of our site. I'll keep doing what I can to make this a great place to hang out and interact, and a resource that provides value to the community.

It is already a GREAT PLACE TO HANG OUT CHRIS! ROFL Especially for old farts like me! It is part of my "daily" routine. I am contemplating retirement (YES RETIREMENT, YAY) and ALWAYS have the forum up on my work computer so I will have to remember to fire up the laptop and keep it going when that time comes. I get a lot of enjoyment out of "trying" to be as helpful and informative as possible to try and keep old and new members participating in our discussions and issues. I don't know what I would do if this place disappeared. :cry: :heystupid: :banghead:

It is already a GREAT PLACE TO HANG OUT CHRIS! ROFL Especially for old farts like me! It is part of my "daily" routine. I am contemplating retirement (YES RETIREMENT, YAY) and ALWAYS have the forum up on my work computer so I will have to remember to fire up the laptop and keep it going when that time comes. I get a lot of enjoyment out of "trying" to be as helpful and informative as possible to try and keep old and new members participating in our discussions and issues. I don't know what I would do if this place disappeared. :cry: :heystupid: :banghead:
That's why I made a point to say that I appreciate people like you Marty. You and all the others who give this place the personality that it has... that help people and provide quality information to others daily. That's what this place is all about. Always has been.

You don't need to pat me on the back Chris, there are A LOT of others that do a great job of participating and helping out and my hat goes off to all of them, they know who they are!
To ALL OF OUR MEMBERS, PROBATIONARY OR LIFERS, I APPRECIATE YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE that you share with us all!!!!
Marty

I am forever telling people to come here and join. best place for all the info and knowledge

I am on FB but for my page and to promote things and sales etc. its a TOOL and i use it as much as i can since Mark Fu*kerburg and his pansy woke, and fake checkers ruined FB anyway so get what i can for free from that POS scam and horrid site.

Your input is greatly appreciated Bobby! Our Freelancers are so helpful to the upkeep of our "toys", and you are one of them!

Well I will be left out. I am a NON-FACEBOOK person. Never had it and never will. It will be lonely here (crickets creeking) talking to myself.......:argue:
I wish I could say the same. I have been suckered into having one because it seems to be the only way to buy stuff anymore since craigslist is dead and unfortunately a lot of racetracks and promoters post updates and cancelations there before they post them on their own website.

LudaChris, thanks for keeping this forum running all these years, it's the only one left!

Back in the day I was on TeamNabr, DSMtalk, and DSMtuners. You are the only survivor to testimony to you and the team to keeping this forum running!

Still great to see that DSMs are around. It is a bit suprising to me that the community in general tapered off so quick. Where did everyone go, Evos, GTRs?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back