The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Facebook's negative impact on car culture and tech info

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not a FB member and never have been, yet my face is still "tagged" in photos that my idiot friends uploaded (against my wishes), so now and forever more FB's facial recognition database knows what I look like along with other basic purchased/public information about me... despite myself NEVER having been to the website.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you serious is this for real how can you stop them from doing this?

Are you serious is this for real how can you stop them from doing this?

Don't be friends with anyone with a camera or a FB account, don't go out in public, don't use credit cards or buy anything online, don't use "loyalty rewards" membership cards, pay cash for your groceries, etc. Vote for congresspeople who support strong data privacy laws, if any exist. Donate often to EFF.org. Break cameras.

https://tips.slaw.ca/2012/technolog...ot-use-facebook-in-photos-posted-on-facebook/
You can actually tag anyone in a photo, even if they don’t have a Facebook account. If you type in the name of someone who is not one of your Facebook friends when tagging a photo, you have the option of listing their email address. When you are done tagging the photo, they will receive an email that provides a link to the image. They will be able to see the photos in which they are tagged, but nothing else on the site, unless, of course, they get their own Facebook account.

That link is from 2012, so I am sure tagging non-members "works" even "better" these days....
... yep, it does:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/19/facebook-facial-recognition-photos/
https://mashable.com/2018/04/17/mysterious-company-building-facial-recognition-database/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...cognition-database-built-by-ex-israeli-spies/

Last edited:
Lol that article on techcrunch:

"These will all roll out everywhere over the next few weeks except in Europe and Canada where privacy laws prohibit Facebook’s facial recognition tech."

Apparently the US government doesn't have a problem with Facebook stalking its citizens, probably because they like the company. Ohh you do it too...

Do you have a FB account?

No I do not. Never have & if I can avoid it never will. And I understand wanting to have the log in link for those that do visit via their Facebook accounts. But everything comes with a price & all this goes much deeper than just data collection & DSMTuners.com.

My point is Facebook is collecting data & it's not for the good of us people. Don't be fooled. They are getting it in many ways & not just by have the link for logging in. But the log in link is a hook that helps make it a little easier. For non Facebook members they are creating "shadow profiles", for members it's profiles. Facebook is not alone. Google does it, Microsoft does it, Apple does it, Twitter does it, Instagram does it, etc. They all are tools for the deep state, the new world order, & the one world government; which is not for the people.

This subject is actually much bigger than the negative impact on car culture and tech info. All this has been going on for decades. This is a small snippet of the destruction of freedom & the civil society. We the people are being attacked from all sides anyway we turn. I should stop.

Now time to get flamed. Trump is for the people. He had nothing to gain running for president. Listen to Trump. He's a little crude sometimes but he does speak the truth.

Last edited:
I voted Johnson. Trump's a putz, but I'd rather he be the "figurehead" than her. That's all I'll say about politics in this thread. Mass surveillance and data collection transcends politics tho so I'm always game for those topics, but those are also not really for this thread either - I'll stop after this link: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/10/amazon-ring-privacy-concerns/

Last edited:
Let's keep the politics out of this - that's another huge reason I stay away from FB and stick to forums. The political rhetoric and ongoing circus has made it difficult to use the platform to keep up with family and friends. It's caused more divide than anything. Forums have always been great for bringing people together on a topic we are all passionate about. Let's allow FB to deal with all of that chaos.

Lazy and spoon fed yes. Its 2019 information travels fast and people want their data now. I myself have done this and its just quicker. Search something like speed density WOT tuning and you'll find dead threads talking about using Linktools or you go to find a picture of a sensor and you find dead links. Gets annoying.

Lazy and spoon fed yes. Its 2019 information travels fast and people want their data now. I myself have done this and its just quicker. Search something like speed density WOT tuning and you'll find dead threads talking about using Linktools or you go to find a picture of a sensor and you find dead links. Gets annoying.
That's why we ask the community to report dead threads and ask for people to get involved as moderators to help clean things up, to help limit the negative experience you described. New trends need to be discussed and indexed so that they can be archived for later retrieval by others. If that doesn't happen, and people instead just go jump on a chat-style platform that cannot be searched (or archived effectively) like FB, then less useful data will get archived in forums, and in turn, found less often in Google. If that trend continues there will be MUCH less automotive tech info archived to be referenced down the road.

I'm not talking about just the DSM world here, I'm talking all vehicle platforms. Then you'll have to rely on FB completely to post questions, as there will be far fewer places to find this information online. Researching will become a lost art and posting repetitive questions will be the only way to get info. If that's the fate of the automotive enthusiast world, so be it. But watching all that good tech info get lost in FB oblivion is less than ideal.

I am apart of some DSM Facebook groups and have only been disappointed in them. I have always used forums and would be so sad to let them go, there is too much priceless information on them to let it dissapear. TheGalantCenter is what I used in high school for my first car and loved all the people on it but it is hardly used by anyone now.. DSM Tuners is a very active forum compared to what I’m used to, but I bet it’s nothing like it used to be in th early 2000’s.

As a long time member, I have always appreciated the forums for what they have to offer. Even now I enjoy reading build threads here even though I don't own a DSM anymore. I hate how Facebook has monopolized so many users and data is lost over time. I am not a big fan of Facebook but it has some advantages. I once logged in to see people poking me when only college usernames were allowed. Now, it is more irritating than ever but good for business purposes to me at least. Technical information not so much. I am still here and will always visit and read, maybe not post, but read and enjoy what there is to offer as long as the forum is around.

My .02 worth about FB is that, it is a place for junk. So many on it just type useless crap and do not even realize that their information is being bought and sold. To add insult to injury, many are too lazy to look up actual information on this site.

As for dead picture sites that no longer work, it happens on almost any social site over time. The point is, FB does not have specialized people who put information out about a specific make and model for the use of everyone, in which, the information has been vetted so that it is very useful. FB post can make sense but, many are just opinions on what someone says, many time, without proof and, some people do it just to troll and make drama.

I do not always use this site for every little detail as, I just do not get online for that reason all the time. I do not have a FB account and never will but, I know many that do. I want all to keep in mind that, before facebook, DSMtuners and talk were here long before with information specific to these cars. This compilation will never be duplicated. I will continue to use this site as, it is full of information that is accessible and easy to use when used correctly. I hope members will start to apprciate this site and use it for what it was meant to be and keep these cars alive and running for generations to come just like cars of the past. These cars have so much potential, even today and look good, even today. Very few cars that have been built in my lifetime have the utility, speed, handling, and looks than a DSM car. They are timeless like the rx7 and supra, as well as others.

Cliff

Well, I will definitely jump on the bash Facebook train, although, I also need to be alot more active on the forums. I feel like an oddball sometimes. I'm 30, I dont have a Facebook, and I still stubbornly use Craigslist and forums for buying parts and looking up tech info. Unfortunately with here, I feel I never have anything worth to post. I'm piecing together a 1990 gst, and I use these forums for tech info. It seems that Facebook has not only been killing car forums, but the car "scene" in general. Most younger kids could care less about a "real" car build. It seems 90% of the "builds" these days involve a Subaru, a loud exhaust, and dropping it as low as you can.

For me its broken down like this:
1) classifieds: the forums are great, but with the ever changing technology I find more parts on the FB sites than i do here. I actually see them on FB and then check here as i would rather make it through the forum. unfortunately, it seem for every 10 on FB 1 shows up here.
2) no mater what my question may be, i have and will always come to the forum first and search. there is waaaay to much time and knowledge here on the forum to jump ship and start trusting the google mechanics on FB. seriously, you post a legit response for someone and it ends up snowballing for 2-3 days before an admin comes in and shuts down comments with usually no resolution to the issue on the OP.

To cap- for me, I only use FB for the market side, everything else is down here "locally" as i call it.

Thank you Chris for your continued loyaty, and also a great thanks to the vendors who continue to contribute! To all you new(er vendors, thank you for your time and investments into our community as well!

Last edited:
I feel I never have anything worth to post.
I hear this a lot. The truth is, everyone has something worth posting, whether it's sharing an update to your build, posting a How-To write up in the Tech Articles sections, welcoming in a new member to the site in the Intro forum, replying to a thread with a link to the answer when someone is posting a question, participating in a non-DSM discussion in the Hangout forum, etc. Lots of ways to get involved and be an active member here.

If you would like to contribute in other ways, you can always report threads to moderators that need to be cleaned up and/or removed entirely from the tech forums - this helps keep search results cleaner for others who are doing searches for answers to their questions. You could always throw your hat in to be a moderator to help clean up threads and forums (remove unhelpful replies from otherwise valuable threads, or remove threads that are dead ends with no resolution). This is a massive resource and we could always use a hand in organizing the good data, cleaning up threads/forums, and resolving conflicts between members in diplomatic ways.

^ good point. Members like me can't complain about forums dying, yet only have a handful of posts to their name. Guess I should try to start a goal of making at least 1 meaningful post a day, and go from there. I'm only ever on 3 websites ever anyways, here, Camaro forums, and ESPN.

I know that I have not been a big poster on the forums, but I have been a long time lurker. 90% or more of what I know came from this page. I am a member of FB groups, but majority of people there only want to hear the answers they want to hear. If I don't know something, I usually go to google, type: DSMTuners, and then whatever I am trying to figure out. I noticed that a good bit of traffic has died off here. Honestly, it may be for the better. Its probably most of the goof balls jumping on the band wagon.

I know I plan on sticking around, especially as I take the journey on my new Spyder build.

I noticed that a good bit of traffic has died off here.
Traffic hasn't died down too much but participation has slowed some over the years. Some of that is due to there being fewer of these cars on the road every year that goes by, some is probably due to FB. We still get an amazing amount of traffic to this site. But again, this thread isn't necessarily just talking about this site, it's talking about forums in general.

I'm soo glad to see that there are others like myself when it comes to FB!! I have an account that I admit I used to post regularly. since then I've taken many protest due to the power and influence that F B now has!!

Make a dsmtuners.com fb page that redirects visitors to this site, or better yet, pin the post that you made there on other social media sites as well?

The amount of misleading information, disrespectful comments and non sense on social media is disturbing, it only make the few of us appreciate more the rules on platforms like this one, unfortunately time changes sometimes for good sometimes for worse.

@Ludachris Let us know how we can help if you come up with any ideas for vendors to create more participation on this forum, we will gladly help.

If DSMtuners had an app and it worked to generate the traffic that FB groups get these days, I've got to assume it would also be the same quality of traffic that the FB groups get. Do we even want a large influx of low quality traffic/posts? DSMtuners holds a standard higher than most FB groups, and most appreciate that. If an app enables laziness and instant gratification, I think more people will be prone to not research and simply regurgitate the same tech question asked yesterday.
There's truth to that. But I recall very vividly the quality of the members here going down the toilet right before FB killed everything. I do get what you're saying, but in the current state of DSMs, I don't see a way to have quality & quantity at the same time with respect to members.

I hope the Facebook fad goes away just like it did with MySpace. I only used it initially to keep up with friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis. Now its full of crap with everything being political related when no one seemed to care a few years ago L O L. The DSM groups are annoying as hell as you already know. So much trolling and bad information to the point where I see veterans that I've known get questioned on their knowledge...which makes us not even want to help anymore. Its sad...Facebook is full of ASKHOLES. I help run a local DSM group on FB, but we keep the idiot questions out and do not accept posts that can be easily searched and answered. IT works wonders.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back