1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Featured Facebook's negative impact on car culture and tech info

Posted by Ludachris, Jan 8, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. jsmcpn

jsmcpn Supporting Member

Joined Jun 4, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Don't be friends with anyone with a camera or a FB account, don't go out in public, don't use credit cards or buy anything online, don't use "loyalty rewards" membership cards, pay cash for your groceries, etc. Vote for congresspeople who support strong data privacy laws, if any exist. Donate often to EFF.org. Break cameras.

https://tips.slaw.ca/2012/technolog...ot-use-facebook-in-photos-posted-on-facebook/
    That link is from 2012, so I am sure tagging non-members "works" even "better" these days....
    ... yep, it does:
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/19/facebook-facial-recognition-photos/
    https://mashable.com/2018/04/17/mysterious-company-building-facial-recognition-database/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...cognition-database-built-by-ex-israeli-spies/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

1K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    streetraceboi likes this.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. m_0ney_pit

m_0ney_pit Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2007
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    Lol that article on techcrunch:

"These will all roll out everywhere over the next few weeks except in Europe and Canada where privacy laws prohibit Facebook’s facial recognition tech."

Apparently the US government doesn't have a problem with Facebook stalking its citizens, probably because they like the company. Ohh you do it too...

Street Build 353  3

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    No I do not. Never have & if I can avoid it never will. And I understand wanting to have the log in link for those that do visit via their Facebook accounts. But everything comes with a price & all this goes much deeper than just data collection & DSMTuners.com.

My point is Facebook is collecting data & it's not for the good of us people. Don't be fooled. They are getting it in many ways & not just by have the link for logging in. But the log in link is a hook that helps make it a little easier. For non Facebook members they are creating "shadow profiles", for members it's profiles. Facebook is not alone. Google does it, Microsoft does it, Apple does it, Twitter does it, Instagram does it, etc. They all are tools for the deep state, the new world order, & the one world government; which is not for the people.

This subject is actually much bigger than the negative impact on car culture and tech info. All this has been going on for decades. This is a small snippet of the destruction of freedom & the civil society. We the people are being attacked from all sides anyway we turn. I should stop.

Now time to get flamed. Trump is for the people. He had nothing to gain running for president. Listen to Trump. He's a little crude sometimes but he does speak the truth.

streetraceboi, jsmcpn and EVLGSX like this.
  4. jsmcpn

jsmcpn Supporting Member

Joined Jun 4, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I voted Johnson. Trump's a putz, but I'd rather he be the "figurehead" than her. That's all I'll say about politics in this thread. Mass surveillance and data collection transcends politics tho so I'm always game for those topics, but those are also not really for this thread either - I'll stop after this link: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/10/amazon-ring-privacy-concerns/

1K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut

here is a perfect model of facebook use

Street Build 783  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Let's keep the politics out of this - that's another huge reason I stay away from FB and stick to forums. The political rhetoric and ongoing circus has made it difficult to use the platform to keep up with family and friends. It's caused more divide than anything. Forums have always been great for bringing people together on a topic we are all passionate about. Let's allow FB to deal with all of that chaos.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    streetraceboi likes this.
  7. foxracing4500

foxracing4500 Proven Member

Joined Jan 21, 2012
    State College, Pennsylvania
    Lazy and spoon fed yes. Its 2019 information travels fast and people want their data now. I myself have done this and its just quicker. Search something like speed density WOT tuning and you'll find dead threads talking about using Linktools or you go to find a picture of a sensor and you find dead links. Gets annoying.

Street Build 3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM
  8. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    That's why we ask the community to report dead threads and ask for people to get involved as moderators to help clean things up, to help limit the negative experience you described. New trends need to be discussed and indexed so that they can be archived for later retrieval by others. If that doesn't happen, and people instead just go jump on a chat-style platform that cannot be searched (or archived effectively) like FB, then less useful data will get archived in forums, and in turn, found less often in Google. If that trend continues there will be MUCH less automotive tech info archived to be referenced down the road.

I'm not talking about just the DSM world here, I'm talking all vehicle platforms. Then you'll have to rely on FB completely to post questions, as there will be far fewer places to find this information online. Researching will become a lost art and posting repetitive questions will be the only way to get info. If that's the fate of the automotive enthusiast world, so be it. But watching all that good tech info get lost in FB oblivion is less than ideal.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

AgntorangeDSM likes this.
  9. teamevolution2

teamevolution2 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2009
    Leesville, Louisiana
    Never had Facebook and never will. Get all the info I need for my cars from right here on dsmtuners and my350z.com. I love this website and get on it multiple times a day just to see what people are up to and what kind of new info I can learn about. :dsm::hellyeah::rocks:

Street Build 841  6

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    I am apart of some DSM Facebook groups and have only been disappointed in them. I have always used forums and would be so sad to let them go, there is too much priceless information on them to let it dissapear. TheGalantCenter is what I used in high school for my first car and loved all the people on it but it is hardly used by anyone now.. DSM Tuners is a very active forum compared to what I’m used to, but I bet it’s nothing like it used to be in th early 2000’s.

408  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. Technoklipz

Technoklipz Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2005
    Lexington, North Carolina
    As a long time member, I have always appreciated the forums for what they have to offer. Even now I enjoy reading build threads here even though I don't own a DSM anymore. I hate how Facebook has monopolized so many users and data is lost over time. I am not a big fan of Facebook but it has some advantages. I once logged in to see people poking me when only college usernames were allowed. Now, it is more irritating than ever but good for business purposes to me at least. Technical information not so much. I am still here and will always visit and read, maybe not post, but read and enjoy what there is to offer as long as the forum is around.

1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. cliffkemp

cliffkemp Proven Member

Joined Apr 19, 2010
    carrollton, Georgia
    My .02 worth about FB is that, it is a place for junk. So many on it just type useless crap and do not even realize that their information is being bought and sold. To add insult to injury, many are too lazy to look up actual information on this site.

As for dead picture sites that no longer work, it happens on almost any social site over time. The point is, FB does not have specialized people who put information out about a specific make and model for the use of everyone, in which, the information has been vetted so that it is very useful. FB post can make sense but, many are just opinions on what someone says, many time, without proof and, some people do it just to troll and make drama.

I do not always use this site for every little detail as, I just do not get online for that reason all the time. I do not have a FB account and never will but, I know many that do. I want all to keep in mind that, before facebook, DSMtuners and talk were here long before with information specific to these cars. This compilation will never be duplicated. I will continue to use this site as, it is full of information that is accessible and easy to use when used correctly. I hope members will start to apprciate this site and use it for what it was meant to be and keep these cars alive and running for generations to come just like cars of the past. These cars have so much potential, even today and look good, even today. Very few cars that have been built in my lifetime have the utility, speed, handling, and looks than a DSM car. They are timeless like the rx7 and supra, as well as others.

Cliff

13. jdblood202

jdblood202 Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia
    Well, I will definitely jump on the bash Facebook train, although, I also need to be alot more active on the forums. I feel like an oddball sometimes. I'm 30, I dont have a Facebook, and I still stubbornly use Craigslist and forums for buying parts and looking up tech info. Unfortunately with here, I feel I never have anything worth to post. I'm piecing together a 1990 gst, and I use these forums for tech info. It seems that Facebook has not only been killing car forums, but the car "scene" in general. Most younger kids could care less about a "real" car build. It seems 90% of the "builds" these days involve a Subaru, a loud exhaust, and dropping it as low as you can.

352  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  14. AgntorangeDSM

AgntorangeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2005
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    For me its broken down like this:
    1) classifieds: the forums are great, but with the ever changing technology I find more parts on the FB sites than i do here. I actually see them on FB and then check here as i would rather make it through the forum. unfortunately, it seem for every 10 on FB 1 shows up here.
    2) no mater what my question may be, i have and will always come to the forum first and search. there is waaaay to much time and knowledge here on the forum to jump ship and start trusting the google mechanics on FB. seriously, you post a legit response for someone and it ends up snowballing for 2-3 days before an admin comes in and shuts down comments with usually no resolution to the issue on the OP.

To cap- for me, I only use FB for the market side, everything else is down here "locally" as i call it.

Thank you Chris for your continued loyaty, and also a great thanks to the vendors who continue to contribute! To all you new(er vendors, thank you for your time and investments into our community as well!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

Autocross Build 211  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

268  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
    TheBrownMike and Ludachris like this.
  15. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I hear this a lot. The truth is, everyone has something worth posting, whether it's sharing an update to your build, posting a How-To write up in the Tech Articles sections, welcoming in a new member to the site in the Intro forum, replying to a thread with a link to the answer when someone is posting a question, participating in a non-DSM discussion in the Hangout forum, etc. Lots of ways to get involved and be an active member here.

If you would like to contribute in other ways, you can always report threads to moderators that need to be cleaned up and/or removed entirely from the tech forums - this helps keep search results cleaner for others who are doing searches for answers to their questions. You could always throw your hat in to be a moderator to help clean up threads and forums (remove unhelpful replies from otherwise valuable threads, or remove threads that are dead ends with no resolution). This is a massive resource and we could always use a hand in organizing the good data, cleaning up threads/forums, and resolving conflicts between members in diplomatic ways.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

16. jdblood202

jdblood202 Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia
    ^ good point. Members like me can't complain about forums dying, yet only have a handful of posts to their name. Guess I should try to start a goal of making at least 1 meaningful post a day, and go from there. I'm only ever on 3 websites ever anyways, here, Camaro forums, and ESPN.

352  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  17. iaintmaci

iaintmaci Proven Member

Joined Aug 22, 2010
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    I know that I have not been a big poster on the forums, but I have been a long time lurker. 90% or more of what I know came from this page. I am a member of FB groups, but majority of people there only want to hear the answers they want to hear. If I don't know something, I usually go to google, type: DSMTuners, and then whatever I am trying to figure out. I noticed that a good bit of traffic has died off here. Honestly, it may be for the better. Its probably most of the goof balls jumping on the band wagon.

I know I plan on sticking around, especially as I take the journey on my new Spyder build.

1K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  18. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Traffic hasn't died down too much but participation has slowed some over the years. Some of that is due to there being fewer of these cars on the road every year that goes by, some is probably due to FB. We still get an amazing amount of traffic to this site. But again, this thread isn't necessarily just talking about this site, it's talking about forums in general.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

19. Mattjaye2198

Mattjaye2198 Proven Member

Joined Jul 26, 2015
    Louisville, Tennessee
    I'm soo glad to see that there are others like myself when it comes to FB!! I have an account that I admit I used to post regularly. since then I've taken many protest due to the power and influence that F B now has!!

Street Build 370  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  20. mysticj

mysticj Proven Member

Joined Apr 12, 2007
    charlotte, North Carolina
    Best thing that been said in a long time.

3K  0

4G63 1994 Mitsu Galant GS
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  21. Cesarlcase

Cesarlcase Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2009
    lynbrook, New York
    Make a dsmtuners.com fb page that redirects visitors to this site, or better yet, pin the post that you made there on other social media sites as well?

22. OHM_Racer

OHM_Racer Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 4, 2014
    el paso, Texas
    The amount of misleading information, disrespectful comments and non sense on social media is disturbing, it only make the few of us appreciate more the rules on platforms like this one, unfortunately time changes sometimes for good sometimes for worse.

@Ludachris Let us know how we can help if you come up with any ideas for vendors to create more participation on this forum, we will gladly help.

23. Red97Eclipseboy

Red97Eclipseboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2004
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    There's truth to that. But I recall very vividly the quality of the members here going down the toilet right before FB killed everything. I do get what you're saying, but in the current state of DSMs, I don't see a way to have quality & quantity at the same time with respect to members.

656  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.840 @ 107.000 · 2G DSM
  24. streetraceboi

streetraceboi Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I hope the Facebook fad goes away just like it did with MySpace. I only used it initially to keep up with friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis. Now its full of crap with everything being political related when no one seemed to care a few years ago L O L. The DSM groups are annoying as hell as you already know. So much trolling and bad information to the point where I see veterans that I've known get questioned on their knowledge...which makes us not even want to help anymore. Its sad...Facebook is full of ASKHOLES. I help run a local DSM group on FB, but we keep the idiot questions out and do not accept posts that can be easily searched and answered. IT works wonders.

Ludachris likes this.
  25. talon77

talon77 Proven Member

Joined Sep 12, 2004
    annapolis, Maryland
    I know that the point of this thread is meant to focus on "Facebook's negative impact on car culture and tech info," but today I feel compelled to emphasize (like others have) how good we all have well-archived information again on this particular forum and I just realized today how big of a part of my car-life that this forum actually is. I was starting to remove my 1g clutch pedal assembly for rebuild, which many of us know that job to be a special kind of h3ll. I reviewed the FSM before I started tackling the job, but also instinctively went to hop onto dsmtuners to access the tech articles/walk-throughs (and generally great pics that members provide in the walkthroughs) before really diving into the job, not knowing that site access was down for a better part of today (for some reason I couldn't access it, at least). I was kind of devastated actually because I'm so used to having dsmtuners to access this type of useful, nicely archived info to supplement the FSM. I ended up googling and only found some lame text-only walkthroughs from old dsmtalk posts, but it dawned on me then how much this site is actually part of my car-life when I couldn't access it (even temporarily) because it really is my go-to place for this type of well documented info and pictures, and for generally reading pleasure of course. It would be a shame if facebook ever killed off a forum like this.

Having said that, and knowing what this forum means to me, I will agree to the original point of this thread and "not contribute to the facebook blackhole for automotive tech info" moving forward and will exclusively post that kinda thing in dsmtuners instead. I won't lie though, I would use facebook to advertise For Sale stuff, just due to traffic volume.

I am grateful to this site, thank you.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019

Road Race Build 2K  17

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    345 whp · 318 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    Ludachris likes this.