The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

F5M33 Transmission Drain Plug Size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diplomat

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2003
Lutz, Florida
For anyone who may know for sure, I'm simply looking for the correct size of the drain plug on the 1G-a FWD transmission. The largest socket I own at the moment is a 22mm, I don't yet have a micrometer or some calipers and I don't really have the cash to go out and buy a set of large sockets at the moment. However, I could run down to Sears and buy the right socket if I knew what size it was. I wasn't able to find a clear answer to my question after a search. In one post, Aikouka stated it's likely either a 23 or 24mm. I tend to believe it's an even number since most everything else on the car is.

...Except for that 17mm filler plug, of course. :laser:

For those interested, it is 24mm. I used penetrating lube and a breaker bar, but it felt like the drain plug would've come out with minimal effort anyway.

By the way, when changing your manual transmission oil, or any oil for that matter, wear gloves. 'Cause that sh-tuff stinks! I guess the oil in this transmission had probably never been changed or at least not recently. Smells like it may have been a little burnt. After draining, I refilled it with BG Synchroshift as recommended by so many in the DSM community. There is, in fact, a noticeable improvement in transition from one gear to the next. Definetly smoother. You can easily feel the difference even with the stock shifter mount, and shift cable bushings. This stuff is certainly worth the money. So now that you know what size the drain plug is, go change yours too. :thumb:

F5M33 Filler plug = 17mm
F5M33 Drain plug = 24mm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back