The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

F5M33 rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g_Shaun

Probationary Member
Oct 11, 2022
Rio Rancho, New_Mexico
I recently rebuilt my fwd 5speed and it has a hard time going into 5th and reverse. I'm not sure if the fork got mis aligned with the selector and is giving me trouble. Or something else. I did do a full rebuild synchro and bearings.all gears do line up correctly also

Shift cables casings still held down so they don't move? Shifter select lever shoe tranny end worn? Motor mounts worn allowing tranny to move?
I will have to check the cables but everything else is brand new car only has 95k to it. previous owner didnt know how to drive. As far as the cables how do i tighten them or see what your talking about?

I am not sure "what" difference it makes but the slider only goes on one way. One edge is beveled more than the other. Usually a mark on the slider indicates it goes to the side the clutch is on. I had to ask about that myself when I put syncro's in my W5M33 recently.

The slider
I am not sure "what" difference it makes but the slider only goes on one way. One edge is beveled more than the other. Usually a mark on the slider indicates it goes to the side the clutch is on. I had to ask about that myself when I put syncro's in my W5M33 recently.
i will have to take a look at it when I open transmission

Just make sure the cable casings are securely clamped to the tranny. Watch them as someone else shifts (engine off). If the cable casings are moving around while shifting that can affect the inner cable throw amount.
Ok I’ll do that today

If the cable casings are moving around while shifting that can affect the inner cable throw amount.
Note that excessive engine roll (worn front and rear mounts) can also affect inner cable throw amount affecting shifting (although this usually results in gear popout or not going into gear while shifting during accelerating/decelerating).

Note that excessive engine roll (worn front and rear mounts) can also affect inner cable throw amount affecting shifting (although this usually results in gear popout or not going into gear while shifting during accelerating/decelerating).
Ya these motor mounts look really good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back