The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtrip_69

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I was doing a general rebuild, but found that the oil guide is broken and as a result 5th gear has been damaged. As no one seems to carry the individual parts any longer, not even Jacks, I have considered just getting another F5M33 tranny and parting it out.

I have found a quite a few between 3000gt/Stealths and 2g DSM, but what are the differences? I know the early 1g DSM's have a different differential that's smaller, but all I need is the 5th gear/intermediate gear and the oil guide (I actually already have a nearly brand new Wave Trac diff in mine). Also I currently have the EVO III 5th gear and intermediate gear, but I'm guessing finding a replacement for that is near impossible. So looks like I'm going back to the originals.

Any suggestions would be helpful and what years if I find a 3000gt/Stealth FWD would work the best?

Thanks!!!

I was doing a general rebuild, but found that the oil guide is broken and as a result 5th gear has been damaged. As no one seems to carry the individual parts any longer, not even jacks. I have considered just getting another F5m33 tranny and parting it out. I have found a quite a few between 3000gt/stealths and 2g DSM. But what are the differences? I know the early 1g DSM's have a different differential thats smaller, but all i need is the 5th gear/intermediate gear and the oil guide(I actually already have a nearly brand new Wave Trac diff in mine)Also I currently have the EVO III 5th gear and intermediate gear, but I'm guessing finding a replacement for that is near impossible. So looks like I'm going back to the originals.

Any suggestions would be helpful and what years if i find a 3000gt fwd/stealth would work the best?

Thanks!!!
Asa will point to which models have what parts. You can do a reverse search. Have you tried TMZ performance also?

Thanks for the reply, but what is ASA?? And I checked TMZ but they ran out of the Evo III parts early last year it appears. I didn't ask about the oil guide though or if they have the original intermediate/5th gears..

I was doing a general rebuild, but found that the oil guide is broken and as a result 5th gear has been damaged. As no one seems to carry the individual parts any longer, not even jacks. I have considered just getting another F5m33 tranny and parting it out. I have found a quite a few between 3000gt/stealths and 2g DSM. But what are the differences? I know the early 1g DSM's have a different differential thats smaller, but all i need is the 5th gear/intermediate gear and the oil guide(I actually already have a nearly brand new Wave Trac diff in mine)Also I currently have the EVO III 5th gear and intermediate gear, but I'm guessing finding a replacement for that is near impossible. So looks like I'm going back to the originals.

Any suggestions would be helpful and what years if i find a 3000gt fwd/stealth would work the best?

Thanks!!!
A w5m33 5th gear will swap on, it's a taller overdrive, and makes cruising a little easier on the hiway.

Asa is the dealer parts software.

Thanks for the info. I have contacted TMZ and they believe they have what i need but have been very slow in responding since that conversation. Its been about a week now since they said they would look and let me know. So not sure how thats going to turn out, tried to contact Jacks Transmissions and they won't respond at all.

I have an order in on the supposed evo III 5th gear from a discountmitsubishiparts.com which so far think they have it, but again its been a week and its still "on order"

Does anyone know if the non-turbo 5th gear transmission would possibly be compatible on the 5th gear/intermediate gear? Those are readily available near me. I believe those are a F5m22 or something?

Tim is recovering from some fairly major surgeries, so he may be a bit slow, but he will get you fixed up. The evo 3 parts are all gone - so I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

I don't know for sure on a f5m22, but I have a w5m31 here out of my non turbo galant gsx. The 5th gear in it is a .69 ratio, and it will physically slide on a w5m33, but would require some creative spacers to make it actually work. I suspect the f5m22 will be the same - It may physically fit in the space, but may take some creativity to make it work.

You should be able to make a normal awd 5th gear work which is a .666 ratio. They changed them in late 91, and the whole set needs to stay together. 5th intermeadiate, 5th output, hub/slider/synchro/shiftfork.

To which would be the one you are referring to? TMZ or Jacks? I was going to email them again tomorrow (TMZ) and see if they have been able to look yet. My transmission is all rebuilt now and just sitting at the shop awaiting what happens with 5th gear. I heard from someone last on Thursday night/friday morning and they were a bit angry almost with me stating they were the only ones there and there were 3 warehouses he had to look at. I just responded I'm sorry I was unaware it was just him, i am just eager to get everything back together.

Luckily i have a second vehicle cause the car has been down about a month now. When i thought it would be a week or two at most because of additional part searches for a wave spring or some sort, oil guide, and then these two gears. :(

And ratio doesn't really matter to me that much, i drove with the stock ratio for a good number of years. And then rebuilt put in the EVO 3 , was good for a bit more mileage but then i upgraded to a 20G turbo which caused power not to really kick in till 80-85mph because of turbo lag and how high that gear is. LOL I just want to get back on the road, going from a Sports coupe convertible to a 1/2 ton truck on the daily.. never really get used to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back