The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

f5m33, f5m22-differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndamdryvr

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2004
Lansing, Michigan
okk, i just picked up a used tranny for cheap to use until i can afford a REAL one, since i blew second outta the one i have now. but tonight i realized the stamp plate on the one in the car is a f5m33, and the one i picked up is stamped with a f5m22. now my car is a 92 2.0 NT, and the car it came from was a 92 2.0 NT, what gives? they both look the same, could it be internal differences, or do i have nothin to worry about? ne help would be great. thanks, David

no one come across this before? maybe its nothin to worry about. i might just try it any how.

f5m33 is a turbo transmission, and the f5m22 is the 2.0 non turbo transmission. If you had the f5m33 on your car, you have 2 scenarios:

1) you have the turbo flywheel and clutch as well

or

2) you have the nonturbo flywheel and clutch and the starter is rigged on there (how mine is).

So if you are going to put the f5m22 on then pray you have the nonturbo flywheel and clutch, because if you dont you get to buy them and install them to make it work. :)

ahh okk that makes me feel better. not so bad after all. thanks alot red, David

Where did you read the transmission model #? I was told that they sometimes used different model cases since many are interchangable. In that case, you should still have F4A22 parts in the F4A33 case. Check the model stamp on the End Clutch cover. That is usually the correct one.

One of the big differences is the bearings. The M22 has typical roller bearings. The m33 has tapered roller bearings. The tapered roller bearings allow it to handle more torque, plain and simple. For the NT, either will work.

Sorry to bring back this post, I have problems with my gearbox KF5m33 (5th gear is busted) can I put the 5th gear from my KFM522 gearbox on it? I need to change the syncro and the 5th gear

Sorry to bring back this post, I have problems with my gearbox KF5m33 (5th gear is busted) can I put the 5th gear from my KFM522 gearbox on it? I need to change the syncro and the 5th gear
I am in the same boat right now, I have a bad 5th in my f5m33 installed in my car, and I have a f5m22 laying around with a good 5th. Did you ever get it figured out?

I am in the same boat right now, I have a bad 5th in my f5m33 installed in my car, and I have a f5m22 laying around with a good 5th. Did you ever get it figured out?
I tried It out but I ese not able to put the bellhousing due to the fact the flywheel for N/A is smaller. I recommend keep looking for a new trans.

I actually have the trans all swapped in. All I had to do was change the flywheel and clutch. Just trying to see if I can't swap that 5th gear

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back