The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

EZ Out, In

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
So I tried taking out a stud from the head (Ex. manifold to Head), but the drill bit broke inside of the stud. What so what can I do now? I really am not buy a new head. I went to the machine shop and I told them about it and they said it will be really hard to take it off. The guy said he will have to use a torch OMG. I really dont want anything bad to happen to my head. Is there a better solution to taking that SOB out? Or am I SOL

When you were trying to get the stud out, you cut it and started drilling the part that was still in the head, correct? Is the broken drill bit in a place where you can get a pair of vice grips over it and twist it out?

Now you have to drill the bit out with a diamond bit or something strong. Swapping mani's on our heads is a real PITA. My mechanic has had so many problems that he tells people he wont do a mani swap without them agreeing it could cost a whole bunch of money if problems are ran into even maybe a new head. Just try to drill it out and fix the hole if not a new head might only be the answer.

May have to remove head and put it in a drill press . I had same problem , 2 studs + 2 bits + 2 ez outs = stage 2 head from SBR . :barf:

If you do drill it out yourself, though, make sure to use some Mystic Metal Remover or something to make sure it doesn't break again.

Yes. If they do it in an oven or furnace, it will be heated evenly, and should be ok. But with a torch, that one area is being heated up while the rest of it is cool. This will cause warping.

I got one of mine out using a dremel with a small (used a lot) round cutting disc. I cut a slot across the hole/stud right through the center. I used a flat screwdriver with lots of elbow grease and liquid wrench to unscrew the stud. This scored the head around the stud hole and screwed up a lot of the threads, so I ended up re-drilling and using a helicoil, but it worked for me. Saved the head and repaired it in the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back